Feed owners should be credited on the popup player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indianabrad

Feed Provider
Recently I was told by Lindsay that it is ok for any website on the web to link directly to the Broadcastify popup feed player, when I complained to him that a site was doing this to my feed. I would like to request that the feed owners should be credited for their feed at the bottom of the feed player. It could say "This feed is provided by Blank" and their could be box on your feed profile to fill in with your feed crediting name. The reason why this is a problem is, in my town I run an online newspaper and one of the major attraction to my site is my live scanner feed, which people click on the ads around when they listen. The other newspaper in town, seeing how popular this has been for me, has directly linked to my feed popup player at broadcastify and they are acting as if my feed is theirs. That's why I say that feed owners need a crediting statement to prevent player linking fraud.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
You could have fixed this way back when by just doing a simple name change to add your personal ID of a kind to the name. It would have been much simpler than the over a year of complaining on a forum that can not fix diddly much less having to pay a lawyer to not get diddly done either. Or you could have run your feed through a private server via ProScan and thus have control over access. Not trying to diss you in any way, but confused over the way you have handled this.

Indianabrad

Feed Provider
The first time they did it was in 2016 and I made them take it down. That was with an outright ripped off link embed on their own player. They had not done it again until this year and since Lindsay said it was ok for them to link to the feed player at Broadcastify (which still appears to the unknowing that it is on their site) I just thought that crediting the feed owner at the bottom of the player would indicate just who's feed this is on a site that has directly linked to the feed player. I did not know that you could change the "Primary Description" of your feed. How do I do that, because I am all about doing that, because I have had enough of this.

Last edited:

Unforgiven_AF

Dub in credits to your self every few minutes in the stream. I'm sure there is audio editing software out there that could do it. Just a quick "Stream provided by jaspercountyinnews.com" Should just take a second or two, and if you are able to add it when nothing is currently coming over the scanner it shouldn't step on other transmissions. You either get them advertising for you or they will stop using your stream. If they stop, remove the dub.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Send a msg to the BCFY admins and request to change the name. Or, do an reboot of the feed. Take it off, and resub it with new name, and maybe make other changes while at it. Its not rocket science here, if it was that hard, there would NOT be so many feeds online.

Indianabrad

Feed Provider
@Unforgiven_AF - I had thought about doing that but it would seem to be very difficult if not impossible and I am very tech savvy, as I am both a PC Tech and a Web Designer.

Chronic

I changed the name of a feed once and it was like pulling teeth , it literally took about 25 emails back and forth to come up with a feed name that was acceptable to the person on the other end. it was such a pain I was just about ready to just give up and take the feed down .

Indianabrad

Feed Provider
@Chronic - I was guessing it would not be easy and that RR/BCFY would not allow branding/crediting in the feeds "Primary Description". I am guessing that they would consider that to be unnecessary information in the primary description and hence why I requested that a "crediting statement" be implemented at the bottom of the feed player. Otherwise we feed providers will continue to get knocked off & ripped off by other websites using our feed. I don't not provide my scanner feed for kicks or for the fun of it, it is part of my website's business model and when another website misuses my feed for the same purpose, that is money out of my pocket.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
@Chronic - I was guessing it would not be easy and that RR/BCFY would not allow branding/crediting in the feeds "Primary Description". I am guessing that they would consider that to be unnecessary information in the primary description and hence why I requested that a "crediting statement" be implemented at the bottom of the feed player. Otherwise we feed providers will continue to get knocked off & ripped off by other websites using our feed. I don't not provide my scanner feed for kicks or for the fun of it, it is part of my website's business model and when another website misuses my feed for the same purpose, that is money out of my pocket.

Then your doing it wrong to start with. If it is FOR YOUR BUSINESS, then you are losing huge profit. If it is for business, then you MUST set up your OWN FEED SERVER using such as PROSCAN and BLOCK any access other than a PAID SUBSCRIPTION!

By providing a FREE FEED using BCFY, you have NO RIGHT to complain about ANYONE ABLE to access it. Sorry, but it is only your feed til it hits BCFY. So as stated, those fixes of adding a new name, or get your own PRIVATE FEED going, is the ONLY way to fix this. Again, it is NOT rocket science. (And yes I ran a feed for this site before BCFY existed so I know how it works.)

kd8ati

Feed Provider
To those people who keep saying to just add his ID/Name in the feed title, Broadcastify will not allow that. In fact they have very strict feed name guidelines that have to be followed before a feed will be approved to stream....

https://broadcastify.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204740135-Feed-Naming-Conventions

I like the idea of adding a dub to the feed to give yourself credit however that may also be against the Broadcastify rules. That would be something you would need to find out.

Indianabrad

Feed Provider
@Milf - Why do you keep saying to "rename your feed and include a crediting statement in the name" when you know that RR will not allow what they deem unnecessary information in the feed title?

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Why not ? The former feed provider for the Hot Springs/Garland County AR feed after I shut mine down had a HAM callsign on perma display as an alpha tag metadata on the Public Safety feed for years! I do mean years! Why is the description for the IFEMS (incorrectly labeled as MECA) feed have provided by info and advertises a photo site? HMMM??? Come on fellas. But the whole deal is you supposedly need this for business but think your protected with a PUBLIC FEED. We gave you the ONLY ways to do anything. Take it or leave it.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Next will have "Presented by Capital One: Live! PD/Fire feed of <insert town/county here>, provided by Joe Pudnok"

Indianabrad

Feed Provider
@marcotor - RR/BCFY would Moderate/Admin what you put in the "feed credit box" just like they have rules on other forms as to what you can put in the boxes. Get real man.

Status
Not open for further replies.