Statewide Events TGs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MFD4305

Does anyone know how MPSCS Events TGs are chosen/assigned? Is there a protocol to be followed or do users just pick one that they expect lots of scanists won't notice is active?
TIA

radioron231

The event talk groups area regulated and a user can not just use them. An agency must complete a request form and submit it. The form describes why the event talk groups(s) are needed and which agencies will be using it. No one can just use the event talk groups at will.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

tdeater

From what I understand, they are assigned geographically if they are available. So, in a specific area, you will typically get assigned the same couple of groups as they are requested, but, depending on system demand, that is not always the case. They are also typically only enabled for specific geographical areas when they are requested, so for example covering a specific county.

The 'I' event groups are for law enforcement use only.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
A special event talkgroup request form must be filled out by the agency and faxed to the NCC. It must include the timeframe for which the talkgroups are needed (could be hours or days) and how many talkgroups are needed. NCC then sends the form back with the talkgroup(s) to be used. NCC has to activate the talkgroups on the necessary towers. If you turn a radio to one of the statewide event talkgroups, (ordinarily) the radio will "bonk".

Last edited:

MFD4305

Two Things

1. Thanks to all for your help in understanding how Events TGs are assigned.

2. I only received traffic on the G Events 5 TG last night [and it was pretty boring!]

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
1. Thanks to all for your help in understanding how Events TGs are assigned.

2. I only received traffic on the G Events 5 TG last night [and it was pretty boring!]

Keep in mind it's unlikely they would use the same TG's for a similar event.

It's only boring until something happens!

When you're not certain which TG's to monitor, instead of having your scanner Scan programmed TG's, set it to do a TG Search. That way it will hit on any and all active TG's that affiliate to the tower site(s) your monitoring. If you hit on a TG that is not programmed, you won't see any alpha-numeric text at that time to identify it. You will see the TG number itself. Then you can link to RR's database, and do a search on the TG to identify it.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Event groups

Groups 1 and 3 are assigned to slot 1, 2 and 4 to slot 2. Depending on how you set up your receive list, you may hear something on more than one group that uses the same time slot.

One of the reasons for Brandmeister becoming popular so fast is this former arrangement of control that many hams feel limit the hobby use. In Michigan, CMEN uses the format with events and has a completely different group set up than Brandmeister.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I meant to clarify that the above post was how DMR was used for events in MI. There was a statewide drill yesterday that was associated with emergency management that some may have heard.

milaw

Premium Subscriber
I don't think scanner listeners are considered when assigning event channels.

In my experience, they are assigned in three ways: planned in advance (i.e. special events), impromptu (i.e surveillance ops), or emergency events.

We have used event TGs for large events that utilize multiple agencies that do not have common TGs. I know our task forces use them for operations that involve multiple agencies for surveillance or warrant service. Both of those situations are usually planned and the event TGs are typically obtained by faxed requests to the NCC.

Every once in awhile we need to call the NCC to request a TG for an in-progress event like a car chase or manhunt that is not planned. These requests are given an event TG immediately and the NCC is very helpful in getting comms up for officers.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
I gave up faxing the forms ahead of time. Too many times they would forget about the request and the talkgroups never got turned on, so I had to call at the time of use anyways.

fnnm400

Premium Subscriber
I agree calling always worked very well. They are always very helpful and friendly, they usually told be what other agencies were using that were assisting with the details I handled at one time.

MFD4305

So Now I Wonder . . .

Having read the messages above, I wonder what would happen if two mobile units, or two PREPS, decide on their own to set their radios to a given Events TG. Would they be able to communicate, like when they agree to "go to cars" or "switch to fireground," or is some action required by METRO or a similar agency to "activate" the TG?

TIA

fnnm400

Premium Subscriber
Nope! They are turned on when you request a event group.

Having read the messages above, I wonder what would happen if two mobile units, or two PREPS, decide on their own to set their radios to a given Events TG. Would they be able to communicate, like when they agree to "go to cars" or "switch to fireground," or is some action required by METRO or a similar agency to "activate" the TG?

TIA

krokus

Premium Subscriber

TIA

The TG have to be enabled by the NCC. As long as those TG are enabled, the users can use them. (When the statewide event TG are not assigned to someone, they are turned disabled.)

Sent using Tapatalk

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
They always ask what areas the TGs are needed in, so they only activate them for specific towers.

Status
Not open for further replies.