US Coast Guard Frequencies in Cincinnati Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

CincyKid

Has anyone ever listened to Coast Guard radio talk in the Cincinnati area and, if so, what their frequencies might be? I know their headquarters here is on River Road just west of the downtown area. With private boaters as well as party boats, etc. quite active on the Ohio River especially in the warm months, I thought the frequencies the Coast Guard used might be something common that those boaters could use to contact them and receive transmissions in return.

ecps92

Boaters to the USCG would begin on 16 and/or 9
then move to an appropriate other working channel, as directed by the USCG
Marine VHF Channels - The RadioReference Wiki

Most USCG Ops have moved off the VHF Marine to the USCG's own LMR Network [P25]
Put in all of the UHF and VHF - encryption does vary by Sector/District/Station/Vessel
United States Coast Guard - The RadioReference Wiki

Has anyone ever listened to Coast Guard radio talk in the Cincinnati area and, if so, what their frequencies might be? I know their headquarters here is on River Road just west of the downtown area. With private boaters as well as party boats, etc. quite active on the Ohio River in the warm months, I thought the frequencies the Coast Guard used might be something common that those boaters could use to contact them and receive transmissions in return.

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Boaters to the USCG would begin on 16 and/or 9
then move to an appropriate other working channel, as directed by the USCG
Marine VHF Channels - The RadioReference Wiki

Most USCG Ops have moved off the VHF Marine to the USCG's own LMR Network [P25]
Put in all of the UHF and VHF - encryption does vary by Sector/District/Station/Vessel
United States Coast Guard - The RadioReference Wiki

There is no USCG LMR in this area. Marine Notice to Mariners are given at 5 AM and 5 PM on 157.1000 (Marine Ch. 22A). During large scale events like Riverfest and Tall Stacks (if there'll ever be another) use the two frequencies listed under Federal>USCG from the State of Ohio Page.
As Bill suggested scanning the entire Marine VHF and UHF band, you can usually catch barges talking, and pleasure boaters in the summer.

Mark,
RR Database Administrator
N8ICW

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T807A using Tapatalk

CincyKid

Thanks for providing this information.

I have listened to the 5:00 P.M. broadcasts on 157.100 (Marine Channel 22A). Kind of interesting as there is information given out with quick breaks in-between for the Ohio River and some of its tributaries beginning in Pittsburgh and going west. One interesting note reported was that there would be upcoming fireworks along the Allegheny River in Pittsburgh near PNC Park (apparently in connection with the Pirates' baseball game).

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
For the Ohio River in the Cincinnati area river traffic is normally on channel 13, 156.65.

Public safety units operate on MARCS talkgroup 21545, 31 RIVER. All public safety agencies in Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana that respond to the river have radios with this talkgroup, including USCG. Boone County Dispatch is the primary PSAP for this channel.

I believe the USCG facility on River Rd is an auxiliary post (maybe not?). Normally when an incident occurs USCG responds up river from Louisville, with a several hour ETA.

CincyKid

Just wondering how far transmissions by boaters on the Ohio River on 156.65 reach? I listened on it for a brief time on Friday, but did not hear anything. Portions of the Ohio River are probably just five or six air miles from me. You would think calls would reach some miles particularly if a boater may be requesting emergency assistance or something along those lines.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Just wondering how far transmissions by boaters on the Ohio River on 156.65 reach? I listened on it for a brief time on Friday, but did not hear anything. Portions of the Ohio River are probably just five or six air miles from me. You would think calls would reach some miles particularly if a boater may be requesting emergency assistance or something along those lines.
Remember the Ohio River is in a valley with many curves. There are a lot of issues with hills. The marine band requires everyone to listen to Channel 16 for emergency transmissions, so hopefully someone nearby can assist.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Channel 13 is simplex so you will need to be somewhat close to hear anything.

USCG has several remote sites (one being on top of the Carew Tower) for RX/TX of channel 16 so the USCG side can be heard for a good ways away from the river. To hear the boats on the river you will again need to be close as they are talking simplex.

Status
Not open for further replies.