Status
Not open for further replies.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Illegal frequency use

Our storm spotting frequency had this problem several years ago. A few hams with directional fox hunting antennas located the source. The sad part was the liberal judge who only slapped the fingers of the idiot causing the problem.

druhe

Premium Subscriber
Trouble with UHF analog is any moron with a Baofeng can program the freqs + PLs in and cause havoc on the radio system. Delco PA had similar issues with their radio system in the past. Wonder if they'll encrypt the radios on the new system...

Encryption is a given, law enforcement here in Cambria have been asking for it for sometime, mainly due to online streaming. This incident is just another log on the fire

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Encryption is a given, law enforcement here in Cambria have been asking for it for sometime, mainly due to online streaming. This incident is just another log on the fire

Encryption does not protect communications from interference.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
Encryption does not protect communications from interference.

True. Even an encrypted digital transmission can be blocked by an analog transmission on the same frequency. However, encryption would prevent unscupulous peoples from impersonating legit users.

portroyalbirdy

Premium Subscriber
Just saw this on my personal Facebook page news feed!

(https://butlerdispatch.com/2018/04/29/man-charged-using-911-radio-disrupt-911-towers/)

"Police say Planell purchased a handheld transmitter for $35 on eBay, and programmed the radio via RadioReference.com which then allowed him to pretend to be a police officer, and call into dispatch."

I really hope they don't go after RR on this, just because 1 person was being irresponsible!

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber

They've been planning it as long as they've been asking for it. And Johnstown alone needs it with their issues. And the multiple incidents with the SFU frat house in Cresson. Sucks, but it is what it is. What's interesting is they specifically mention in the article the guy impersonated 855, East Taylor. Wasn't there someone messing with 17 Fire in East Taylor last year also?

SCPD

QRT
With the wording at the end of the statement given in the article, this should indicate the solution that is to come and end the pondering of will they, etc. It is obvious. Just what I noticed from reading.

SCPD

QRT
True. Even an encrypted digital transmission can be blocked by an analog transmission on the same frequency. However, encryption would prevent unscupulous peoples from impersonating legit users.

You can bet the misuse of ncic is going to be a thorn for them and get the attention of others. This is a big deal he had names and information ran over ncic and the returns given. It is apparent what they will do to solve the issue.

Voyager

Everything added in SWPA over the past couple years for police has been encrypted.

I would not be surprised if this was staged by a salesman who wanted to make sure they went for the encryption cost (I mean option).

One of the first groups in ICORRS had an issue with interference. Switching to the P25 system didn't solve it. It turns out it was one of the officers who was causing it. Of course, being a P25 system they knew exactly who it was and they put an end to it. I wonder how many thought it was a ham with a radio that was opened up.

As for Baofeng, don't read into this. For all we know the person calling in was using a Motorola. They didn't say.

druhe

Premium Subscriber
Everything added in SWPA over the past couple years for police has been encrypted.

I would not be surprised if this was staged by a salesman who wanted to make sure they went for the encryption cost (I mean option).

One of the first groups in ICORRS had an issue with interference. Switching to the P25 system didn't solve it. It turns out it was one of the officers who was causing it. Of course, being a P25 system they knew exactly who it was and they put an end to it. I wonder how many thought it was a ham with a radio that was opened up.

As for Baofeng, don't read into this. For all we know the person calling in was using a Motorola. They didn't say.

When they executed the search warrant he was in possession of several radios, yes at least one Baofeng for sure. It's unknown what the other brands are, and I didn't push the issue. They also confiscated a computer that had a radio attached to it, the detective wasn't clear on it's purpose. He said he thought it was being used for some type of "triangulation" so your guess is as good as mine. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out in the courts.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
FCC records are public. Anyone with internet access can obtain the information.

FCC records are public but they do not disclose PL tones and/or DCS tones like Radio Reference does. This makes things a lot easier for idiots like this guy to do what he did.

nd5y

FCC records are public but they do not disclose PL tones and/or DCS tones
You can't disclose something that doesn't exist.
The FCC does not require licensees to provide CTCSS, DCS, paging tones, NAC, RAN, Color Code, time slot, talkgroup ID, radio ID or anything like that on a license application.

Voyager

Any tool can be used for legitimate or illegitimate purposes.

There are also lots of ways to get said information.

OK on the Baofeng, Dan. I had not heard that. Still, anything can be used.

Come to think of it, last I heard they had not identified the guy, so...

royldean

FCC records are public but they do not disclose PL tones and/or DCS tones like Radio Reference does. This makes things a lot easier for idiots like this guy to do what he did.

Anybody with a decent scanner can figure that out, though. I use my BCD436HP to verify tone output on my 2m and 70cm radios....

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
Trouble with UHF analog is any moron with a Baofeng can program the freqs + PLs in and cause havoc on the radio system. Delco PA had similar issues with their radio system in the past. Wonder if they'll encrypt the radios on the new system...

I haven't been keeping up with this, any info on this, system/when/etc.?

Here in southeastern PA, DELCO is the easiest to monitor the old fashioned way.

NC1

The newspaper was not very smart in publishing a virtual "How To" guide for those who want to follow suit.

1) Buy $35 radio on ebay.
2) Use information from RR and program accordingly.
3) Do illegal things that you could end up doing jail time for.

Brilliant reporting. What crime will they give instructions for next?

Status
Not open for further replies.