This is a new one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
So travelling back from Watertown, NY to home. Running my 536, all favorites lists on and using GPS. Whenever I shut the car off I turn the scanner off,. Well, halfway home, I find out all of my favorite lists except the first ten are wiped clean. Reformatted the card, reloaded everything. Worked for a while, now all lists are gone again except the first ten. Anyone else experience this one? I am going to try a new card as well

garys

Premium Subscriber
Definitely sounds like a card problem. If a new card doesn't fix it, then you can look at other things, but I'd bet that a new card will fix it.

I bought my first 536HP from someone who bought it new. He never said why he was selling it other than that it was complicated to use. When I got it, I tried to program in a number of Favorites Lists that I had pre formatted. Sentinel and ARC536 said that the new information had loaded successfully. When I restarted the scanner, it showed the old information.

I did this three or four times before I tried a different card. The tries included clearing User Data and formatting. Nothing fixed the issue until I used the new card.

Ever since then, whenever anyone posts weird issues like yours, I immediately suspect a card issue.

SCOTTER

My 436 went crazy last year and would not scan.I freaked out but then read about cards going bad so I got a 16 bit card and put it in and it was like new with twice the space on the card.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Sounds good. Thanks, I'm going to pull the scanner out of the car.

Unless you just don't want the scanner in a vehicle, there isn't any reason to remove it. You can go through the motions of preparing a new SD card if your computer has a card reader. Once done, you can take the new card to the vehicle and stick it in the scanner.

I don't think using the scanner in a vehicle made your card go bad, rather these things "just happen" like tires wear out.

Having one or more spare SD cards is a good thing. You could get that high endurance one for regular use and then have "typical" SD cards for back-up purposes.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Unless you just don't want the scanner in a vehicle, there isn't any reason to remove it. You can go through the motions of preparing a new SD card if your computer has a card reader. Once done, you can take the new card to the vehicle and stick it in the scanner.

I don't think using the scanner in a vehicle made your card go bad, rather these things "just happen" like tires wear out.

Having one or more spare SD cards is a good thing. You could get that high endurance one for regular use and then have "typical" SD cards for back-up purposes.

I wonder if these cards are susceptible to static discharge. Inside a vehicle in dry air, a lot of voltage can build up . Might not be the place to be sliding that card in and out.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual

Reformatting the Micro SD Card
SD cards should only be formatted using the special SD Card Formatter. Cards up to 32GB are supported. After formatting, the scanner may not be automatically detected (since it is wiped clean), so you may need to uncheck "Hide empty drives" in (Windows 7) Tools>Folder Options>View before doing the next "Clear User Data" step. Then, you need to "Clear User Data" and check "Display all drives" using Sentinel to restore all files and directories to the card. You will also need to "Write to Scanner" in the "Scanner" menu to restore your Favorites Lists.

head_logo.gif

SD Memory Card Formatter
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I wonder if these cards are susceptible to static discharge. Inside a vehicle in dry air, a lot of voltage can build up . Might not be the place to be sliding that card in and out.

The answer is yes. And given the number of times I've gotten static shocks from getting in or out of a vehicle, I would be very cautious about changing cards in the vehicle without being careful to be grounded. If you have an antenna mounted to the vehicle body, the coax connector shell would probably be a good point to ground yourself to.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
79% of users give the card I linked a 5 star rating, and it has a 4.5 out of 5 average rating. You don't get much better than that with a large number of ratings.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber

Oh I took it out to do the firmware update as well. Normally I would bring my laptop out and do it bu decided just to bring it in. Not permanently mounted yert

Status
Not open for further replies.