NLFD

Status
Not open for further replies.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
They are changing up their radio identifiers of the rigs.

A11 - Engine 1
A21 - Engine 2
A31 - Engine 3
A41 - Engine 4

As of now the buses remain A100, A200, A400.

I believe A25 could become Ladder 1 and A35 would become Truck 2.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
I would say to make it easier for everyone know what type of apparatus is responding, Wolcott vol fd used to have w and a number w1- ladder truck w-2 engine 2 etc and we changed it several years ago to saying engine, truck and rescue for that reason, so it possible thats why they did it.

Dan6071

Premium Subscriber
N.L.F.D

I just found out that this was in the work's for some time now and thay got the ok from new london county fire chief's to approve it.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. Wonder why the change though.

Because its easier! :D

Seriously, some of the departments want to move away from the old "Bingo Call" numbering system to something simpler. Norwich did it years ago dropping "N" before the numbers, mainly the volunteer houses, I don't think the City Fire Department utilized the "N" system fully for apparatus. I know all the departments for the officers somewhat following the New London numbering system corresponding to their "station designations".

Mohegan tribal dropped the U before their call signs a few years back.

My department Mashantucket switched over to the Eastern numbering system to Station 59. We are now switching again to Engine 1, Engine 2, Tower 1, etc in the near future.

coolrich55

Because its easier! :D

Seriously, some of the departments want to move away from the old "Bingo Call" numbering system to something simpler. Norwich did it years ago dropping "N" before the numbers, mainly the volunteer houses, I don't think the City Fire Department utilized the "N" system fully for apparatus. I know all the departments for the officers somewhat following the New London numbering system corresponding to their "station designations".

Mohegan tribal dropped the U before their call signs a few years back.

My department Mashantucket switched over to the Eastern numbering system to Station 59. We are now switching again to Engine 1, Engine 2, Tower 1, etc in the near future.
I can remember long ago when Norwich dispatch went by station N.

MrAntiDigital

I know that the City of Norwich had changed their apparatus numbers sometime before 1975 except for the chief (N-1), deputy chief (N-10) and fire alarm maint vehicle (N-17). The letter "Q" still designates the fire marshalls units.

In 1975 there was Squad "A", Eng 2, Eng 3, Eng 6, Rescue 1, Ladder 1. Engine 6 and Rescue 1 has since been eliminated.

Station "N" was referred to as the fire dispatch for New London County. Then dispatching Norwich, including all the Volunteer depts., Bozrah, Salem, Gardener Lake, Preston, Poquonnock, Griswald, Voluntown, and Jewett City. Only one dispatcher for all those departments. Some of which included the ambulance service.

At that time all of the fire depts., including many others in New London County were on 33.90 mhz. In addition to that many departments in both Tolland and Windham Counties as well. A disaster to say the least. There was no fireground channel. Calling to charge a line inside a burning apartment "might" be heard if not cut off by another base radio from WW (Windham), TN (Tolland). Or any of the other local Dispatch centers using that same channel.

NLFD got off of 33.90 very early. They then went to 33.94 MHz by themselves for a good period of time. After that, they were one of the first in the area to go to the ultrahigh band for both the police, fire and public works. That was great because there was no interference from anybody else.
The fire dept was 453.90 MHz
The police was 453.275 MHz
Public works was 453.125 Mhz

Today of course they are on a digital system.

I consider the New London Fire Dept as one of the BEST in New London County. They certainly do their share of work for such a small city in Connecticut. They also provide the Emergency Ambulance transport for the city.

I compare the New London FD to a smaller version of the Providence, RI Fire Dept. I have a few friends on the NLFD fire dept who I greatly respect for the work they do.

Just a brief history and my honest opinion.

Willy D

cookandcamera

A25 (Seagrave ladder) is Truck 2. NLFD is looking to replace the old tower which is generally out of service. If replaced the designation would depend upon with station it runs out of.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
I would say to make it easier for everyone know what type of apparatus is responding, Wolcott vol fd used to have w and a number w1- ladder truck w-2 engine 2 etc and we changed it several years ago to saying engine, truck and rescue for that reason, so it possible thats why they did it.

Having the rigs A11, A21, A31, A41, A25, A35 followed the common naming convention around here. 1 = Engine, 5 = Ladder.

Here, read this ...

https://www.waterfordfiredepartment...nytime-why-we-train-relentlessly-come-join-us

Status
Not open for further replies.