Pro-651: Low audio on FM modulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently acquired a PRO-651 from a local in town and I discovered it had low audio on FM, but AM modulation seems fine. How do I fix this? Is it a speaker problem? Is it an internal/DSP problem? How do I go about repairing something like this? Does it need to be taken apart? Do I need a new component? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I recently acquired a PRO-651 from a local in town and I discovered it had low audio on FM, but AM modulation seems fine. How do I fix this? Is it a speaker problem? Is it an internal/DSP problem? How do I go about repairing something like this? Does it need to be taken apart? Do I need a new component? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

FM or NFM?

I have verified FM and NFM doesn't work. I have verified P25 reception is okay, a little shaky at best, but it works loud and clear. It's just FM and NFM that are VERY quiet. Even with headphones on.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
just on one freq? Maybe it's low modulation on their transmitter? Does that scanner have audio +/- level settings for each freq?

ecps92

I assume this is on a local PD/FD Channel ?
How is the audio from the NWS ?

IF NWS is fine, then the issue is with the actual agency, not your radio

No it's *every* single channel thats either NFM/FM. P25 decodes alright, and AM sounds okay. It's probably something internal to the radio.

I can confirm that every FM/NFM frequency and TSYS is low audio. AM stations such as CB and aircraft come in LOUD and clear. NWS is also low but recieveable. All signals recieve as if the unit was new, just the audio is low. I did full reset, reset DSP, and tried messing with attenuation. I did open it up briefly to take a look inside and I smelled the very recognizeable burnt smell of electronics.. that might be a clue..

RFI-EMI-GUY

It could be wildly off frequency, though P25 should suffer range problems (volume would be OK though).

RFI-EMI-GUY

oh the sniff test. Well, probably got hit with a voltage spike.

I can confirm that every FM/NFM frequency and TSYS is low audio. AM stations such as CB and aircraft come in LOUD and clear. NWS is also low but recieveable. All signals recieve as if the unit was new, just the audio is low. I did full reset, reset DSP, and tried messing with attenuation. I did open it up briefly to take a look inside and I smelled the very recognizeable burnt smell of electronics.. that might be a clue..

RFI-EMI-GUY

I would "nose" around and look at the voltage regulators for obvious damage and even check voltages. This assumes you can find a schematic. Then there is probably a CMOS transmission switch to route the audio between the AM/FM/Digital modes. That could be damaged or the driver damaged. If something smoked, you should be able to find a discolored component.

Status
Not open for further replies.