Sentinel install fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

mesocyclone

I am trying to install the latest Sentinel (1.07.05) on Windows 10.

The installer says that .NET 2 is required, and gives me the option to install it. But that option takes me to the Microsoft general .NET install, and that tells me that .NET 4 is already installed on my system.

What do I do now?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I am trying to install the latest Sentinel (1.07.05) on Windows 10.

The installer says that .NET 2 is required, and gives me the option to install it. But that option takes me to the Microsoft general .NET install, and that tells me that .NET 4 is already installed on my system.

What do I do now?

Windows 10 32-bit or 64-bit?

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Make sure all of your dot net packages are installed you can get them for free at microsoft downloads some software packages require different dot net versions as the updates are cumulative.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Voyager

.NET 4 has nothing to do with .NET 2.

.NET is only cumulative within the major version (.NET 4 does not replace .NET 2). You can have several versions of .NET installed.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
There are specific instructions for installing .NET 2.x. But, the specific instructions depend on what operating system you have. If Dr. Google doesn't answer the question for you, post your windows version details.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
I had to actually “check” the box for Net 2.0 for it to work. Cant remember where it was, maybe Explorer Advanced setup or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Most software related problems with Windows 10 are due to developers/programmers not complying with Microsoft's rules and requirements.

Siemc10001

Enable net framework 2.0 jn win 10

Go to programs and features
Enable windows features
Check checkbox for net framework 2.9/3.5
Close all programs and restart
When loved in again run the sentinel setup
You should be good to go

mesocyclone

Thanks! That did it

Thanks for your help. What surprised me was that the program is sensitive to the .NET version. That's just, well, wrong. But with the instructions on how to enable 2ish and 3ish version, I was able to get the program to install!

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
What surprised me was that the program is sensitive to the .NET version. That's just, well, wrong.

Not really. That was just the version of .NET the program was compiled to use.
What was wrong was not at least including clear instructions on how to install this software properly on a Windows 10 computer.

Voyager

Not really. That was just the version of .NET the program was compiled to use.
What was wrong was not at least including clear instructions on how to install this software properly on a Windows 10 computer.

May as well go another step and complain about not having installation instructions for Windows, too.

Really. Some things are beyond the scope of a manufacturer. Operation of your PC is one of them.

I do love the comment about "Most software related problems with Windows 10 are due to developers/programmers not complying with Microsoft's rules and requirements"

You DO realize .NET is a Microsoft product, right? It would be hilarious of Microsoft does not comply with their own rules and requirements. Not impossible, but hilarious.

mesocyclone

.NET

I am a software developer, and have been for a long time. If .NET versions are so incompatible that vendors have to specify a specific one, that is a problem caused by Microsoft.

But if a vendor supplied program for a current product only works with an old version of an operating system or its add-on, the vendor needs to get their act together.

Users should not have to be systems administrators. Even as a developer, keeping track of sys admin tasks for my personal machines is daunting, as this thread shows. Why should I suspect that .NET 4 is not upwards compatible from .NET 2? That's just, well, *wrong*!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I've had software that during installation pop up a screen advising the user that a particular .net run-time module is required, and then give you an option from within their installation, to accept the installation of the proper .net run-time and install it for you before continuing their own software installation. I believe Paragon's Disk/Drive Manager is one of them that does this.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
You DO realize .NET is a Microsoft product, right? It would be hilarious of Microsoft does not comply with their own rules and requirements. Not impossible, but hilarious.

Microsoft is not the one having a problem with this. It is an issue with some software 'applications' that were written with an older compiler and as a result requires the older .net run-time module to run.

Prior to .net, the previous programming language compiler Visual Basic has similar issues, requiring programmers/developers to update things as they progressed. If they didn't, the installer needed to install the older VB compiler just like with .NET.

Voyager

Microsoft is not the one having a problem with this. It is an issue with some software 'applications' that were written with an older compiler and as a result requires the older .net run-time module to run.

If .NET were cumulative, .NET 3.5 would replace .NET 2.0. It does not.

As was stated, it's all based on which version it was written for.

There is a reason Microsoft allows you to install many versions at the same time.

The issue is simply what was stated: .NET 2.0 was not installed.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
I’ve noticed that the Uniden scanner manuals, at least the 436/536, are written for people who already have a clue about what all the features are for and are most likely Ham radio operators who are well-versed in these functions. Much of it I had to figure out on my own and even then, some things are still grey. I would imagine 50% of the features on these radios I don’t use because I don’t understand why you would use them! Most of these things are in the Close Call/Search and Analyze areas. I wish there was an explanation about each feature and what it’s used for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.