• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

baofeng uv5r

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikerod67

im new to amateur radio and would like some help programming my radio to pick up and later on transmit on local repeaters after getting a licence can anyone help
Im in port st lucie Florida 34983 zip code area if that helps

mikerod67

help

That really didnt help im really new to this had scanners for years but trying a new thing . I found repeaters in my area but cant get them programmed where i can hear anything

Mikejo

Premium Subscriber
Google and YouTube are your friends for this situation.

Use Google to search for and find a program called "Chirp"

Use YouTube to find video's on how to use "Chirp" to program your Radio.

DON'T TRANSMIT until you pass the exam and receive your call sign.

73's

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The radio scans but it's not a scanner. It's a transceiver. It's a lousy scanner.

Anyway, if you're just wanting to listen to local ham repeaters, program in the repeaters' transmit frequencies and PL tones.

A word of caution, you're not allowed to talk on those ham frequencies without a license. Also, the radio is not legal for FRS or GMRS radio, although many people use it for that.

mikerod67

Google and YouTube are your friends for this situation.

Use Google to search for and find a program called "Chirp"

Use YouTube to find video's on how to use "Chirp" to program your Radio.

DON'T TRANSMIT until you pass the exam and receive your call sign.

73's

Have chirp dont plan on talking till i have my call sign and get this up and running right how do i know if its programmed right since i dont hear anything and not allowed to transmit yet?

mikerod67

The radio scans but it's not a scanner. It's a transceiver. It's a lousy scanner.

Anyway, if you're just wanting to listen to local ham repeaters, program in the repeaters' transmit frequencies and PL tones.

A word of caution, you're not allowed to talk on those ham frequencies without a license. Also, the radio is not legal for FRS or GMRS radio, although many people use it for that.
Ive tried all that but dont know if i did it right since im not hearing anything

nd5y

Ive tried all that but dont know if i did it right since im not hearing anything
It could be that the repeaters in your area are not used often.
Do you have a scanner or other radio listening to the repeaters at the same time and not hearing anything on the Baofeng?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Most repeaters are on 2m and .70m but there definitely more possibilities. Virtually every scanner will be able to pick those frequencies unless the repeaters are digital.. ND5Y has good advice. Go find a cheap scanner and scan the ham frequencies to see how much activity there is. Even if it doesn't pick up 800 mHz, it's likely to still pick up those ham frequencies. They've been around for years!

mikerod67

It could be that the repeaters in your area are not used often.
Do you have a scanner or other radio listening to the repeaters at the same time and not hearing anything on the Baofeng?

No dont have a scanner anymore, Guess ill keep listening and see what happens Thank you everyone

ermin

im new to amateur radio and would like some help programming my radio to pick up and later on transmit on local repeaters after getting a licence can anyone help
Im in port st lucie Florida 34983 zip code area if that helps

If you are comfortable with Chirp let me know what your email addy is and I'll send you a file you can use. You can get a list of active repeaters in your area by going to repeaterbook.com

Ermin

Mikejo

Premium Subscriber
Here is a quick tutorial on how to get all the repeaters in your area(It worked for me).

Make sure you followed the setup procedure for "Chirp" first which has you select your radio, and then download from your radio it's base setup. this will be the template / framework for the next step ( save a copy to a safe place before proceeding)

In "Chirp" on the menu bar select "Radio", under that select "Query Data Source" ,under that select "Repeater Book", and lastly under that select "Repeater Book Political Query". (Don't ask why they labeled it that way, it works though). You will then be shown a dialog box that will let you select the state, county and frequency band. from there follow the prompts an it will populate your screen with all you need.

Lastly, upload to your radio and give it a try, you can set your radio to scan it all, if there is activity on any of the repeaters, it will stop on it.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Just to check the radio out the national weather service broadcast (162.425 MHz for you) make good 'targets' to test receivers-they transmit 24/7 with fairly high power and allow for a quick go/no go test of your equipment. At least one can be picked up almost anywhere in the US -they transmit on frequencies between 162.400 and 162.600. If you can hear one of them you can be sure of your receive settings. I would not use tone squelch with that unit as there are some firmware 'bugs' that may prevent reception.

If you can hear the weather in frequency mode, start loading the local repeaters into memory and scan -the unit is a slow scanner but should allow you to hear the repeaters in your area. Again don't use tone squelch and also put 146.52 and 446.00 (national simplex channels) in your scan. Listen during commute times and evenings (usually the busiest times). As you can't transmit, patience will help. You may want to check on the web for 'nets' and tune in then also.

Good luck on getting your license and have fun

Status
Not open for further replies.