sds100-GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

u2brent

OAMPT
The Short Answer

"According to currently available documentation."

Yes, you can use the same Uniden GPS unit that works with the HP2/436/536.

Why would Uniden create a whole different unit just for the SDS? Just doesn't seem logical, but then again? :)

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!

CQ

"According to currently available documentation."

Yes, you can use the same Uniden GPS unit that works with the HP2/436/536.

Why would Uniden create a whole different unit just for the SDS? Just doesn't seem logical, but then again? :)

Actually, they should create a new one to free us from the tangled mess of wires.

KF4JYE

Premium Subscriber
Actually, I hope that the SDS100 uses this same adapter cable referenced by phask:
(https://www.scannermaster.com/Uniden_Bearcat_GPS_Adapter_Cable_for_the_BCD325P2_p/10-731909.htm).

I have one of these for my BCD325P2. it is simple and reduces the mess of cables. It also eliminates the Hirose type GPS connector on the scanner. Basically, it is a Y-cable adapter with 3 connectors:
1. PS2 type connector to mate directly with the Uniden GPS or US GlobalSat BR-355-S4 (which is what I use, $30 at Amazon).
2. Mini-USB connector to supply power and GPS data to the BCD325P2 (and hopefully the SDS100).
3. USB type-A connector for supplying +5V to both the GPS and the scanner.

Technically, this cable connects the TX data from the GPS to the scanner via a 5th wire and connector on the mini-USB connector. Jon, I have already confirmed these connections, so you can save your money for now!

The Hirose GPS connectors have broken on my HP1 and one of my 436's. I have considered modifying these scanners to use this same adapter cable when I have time. The modification would consist of running a single jumper wire on the circuit board from the Hirose connector to the mini-USB connector.

In addition to the reduction of cable clutter, another benefit is the lower cost, which totals about $50 for the GPS and the adapter cable.

phask

Premium Subscriber
If it works for the 325, it will work for the SDS.

I'd guess the power would work, no reason not to. There is also a micro-usb that can be used for power as well.

Actually, I hope that the SDS100 uses this same adapter cable referenced by phask:
(https://www.scannermaster.com/Uniden_Bearcat_GPS_Adapter_Cable_for_the_BCD325P2_p/10-731909.htm).

I have one of these for my BCD325P2. it is simple and reduces the mess of cables. It also eliminates the Hirose type GPS connector on the scanner. Basically, it is a Y-cable adapter with 3 connectors:
1. PS2 type connector to mate directly with the Uniden GPS or US GlobalSat BR-355-S4 (which is what I use, $30 at Amazon).
2. Mini-USB connector to supply power and GPS data to the BCD325P2 (and hopefully the SDS100).
3. USB type-A connector for supplying +5V to both the GPS and the scanner.

Technically, this cable connects the TX data from the GPS to the scanner via a 5th wire and connector on the mini-USB connector. Jon, I have already confirmed these connections, so you can save your money for now!

The Hirose GPS connectors have broken on my HP1 and one of my 436's. I have considered modifying these scanners to use this same adapter cable when I have time. The modification would consist of running a single jumper wire on the circuit board from the Hirose connector to the mini-USB connector.

In addition to the reduction of cable clutter, another benefit is the lower cost, which totals about $50 for the GPS and the adapter cable.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!

OK great. Thanks for the heads-up!

It would actually be easier that that, as there are solderable test pads on the circuit board for each pin on both connectors. Instead of trying to jumper connector pins with sub-millimeter spacing buried under a metal structural support/shield, you can connect the pads on the circuit board. Note that the GPS RX/TX pad markings are backwards on the HP-2 (at least on all of the units I've had open) so you need to jumper the TX pad instead of the RX pad you would expect. The TX and RX pads are correctly labeled on the 436.

Of course, if I took the unit apart, I would install an internal GPS, but I'm just weird like that. :D

KF4JYE

Premium Subscriber
Good information, Jon! Thanks!

I wish Uniden had started using this design on their original GPS capable handheld scanners (BCD-396XT, I think).

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You're welcome. If you want photos of the pads, let me know. I have a HP-2 and a 436 that are about to get internal GPS units.

KF4JYE

Premium Subscriber
Jon, that would be helpful. I actually have an HP-1, so I am interested in seeing the similarities and differences between the HP-1 and the HP-2. Thanks!

KF4JYE

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, JamesO. The GPS solderable test pads on the circuit board are convenient. I wish the mini-USB jack also had pads...

Searay

Premium Subscriber
Very Disappointed......

:(

Wondering why Uniden would not just include a GPS as a standard part of the unit. They could even make it an option, but leaving it out totally is a design failure and in my opinion moves this new scanner down the list. No logic.

Hate to say it cause I am pro-uniden.....

Status
Not open for further replies.