• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Called Motorola & asked the Million Dollar Question!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
Let me start out by saying I love being a Ham Radio Operator. I've had my license for about 12 years now and upgraded to General Class this February. I thoroughly enjoy helping my local ham radio community be the best it can be. By getting in my car and driving around South Florida confirming repeaters to see which are on the air and which aren't, by posting weekly reminders of local ham radio related info on my QRZ page, and by helping two clubs host there weekly nets & hosting my own 70cm net to foster increased communication on the 70cm band. Needless to say I put myself out there. And it's no wonder that I find some that are less than appreciative of my actions. A few months ago I received a Motorola MT1000 16-Channel VHF radio. I was very happy and promptly purchased a battery & antenna for it. But I wondered how am I going to program this phenomenal radio? I saw a place on-line (Supplier of New Motorola Radio Parts Batteries and Accessories.) that will program Genesis Series radios among others. So I figured that was my ticket. One day about a month ago I got talking to a fellow ham on a local repeater and long story short it turns out he has an old Panasonic Toughbook CF-27 with the RSS software installed. He said he would program my radio for me. What a delight and to watch him use the software and program the radio made me want to get more Motorola Genesis Series radios and also be able to program them up myself. Upon looking on-line and talking to my friend I quickly learned that you need an older computer that runs DOS, RSS software, hardware (RIB box, cables, etc). I also read that people were getting sued by Motorola back in 2000 and then there is the sticky note from this forum "Are you looking for free programming software?" from 2007 which made me think I'm doomed simply because my intention was to purchase the many inexpensive Genesis & Jedi Series radios off Ebay and other outlets such as Hamfests and program them myself as well as advertise to my ham radio community who may have said radios laying around just waiting to be programmed or those wishing to purchase said radios and need them programmed. I also knew my intentions and once I advertised those intentions the less than appreciative folks would have a field day with me saying all sorts of things I can't do. Sooooooo I decided to call Motorola Tech Support and get the facts straight from the source.
I called there Tech Support 800 number and spoke to a nice lady. I told her I have a peculiar question to ask. I said I'm a ham radio operator (she probably thought oh boy another one of these guys) and my question is about Genesis Series radios. She said I'm not familiar with those & I thought this is going exactly how I hoped!!!! She said do you have a model #? So I gave her the Model # off the above radio which is H43GCU7180AN. After about a minute it must have come up on her computer and she says I show it to be an MT1000. I said that's correct. Her response was wow that's an old model. I said it is but they are worth there wait in gold to us hams!!!! I said my question is I have a friend who programmed it up for me using the Radio Service Software but I want to do it myself and for my ham radio community. I said I'm not looking to sell the software or make money off programming peoples radios but I don't want to get jammed up and have lawyers knocking on my door or have Motorola track me down like someone mentioned in a forum. She laughed and said well we don't track people down and I can assure you we won't be knocking on your door. She said the Radio Service Software is proprietary software but is unsupported software as far as Motorola is concerned. She says we don't even sell it anymore. I said well I can get it no problem but can I use it is the question. She went on to say basically don't come to Motorola for help or support with it because again it is unsupported. Her main reasons were 1 RSS is DOS based which is old technology and 2 the channel spacing implementation mandated by the FCC on 1/1/13. She said the new mandate is 12.5 KHz and these older radios programmed by the Radio Service Software are 25 KHz radios which are basically only good on the ham bands.
Apparently a lot has changed since the 5 individuals were sued by Motorola back in 2000 for utilizing the Radio Service Software illegally and even since the Sticky note entitled "Are you looking for free programming software?" was posted in 2007.
So interpret this as you see fit but I'm going ahead and preparing the great laptop (Toshiba Satellite 4020CDT) I happened to stumble on for free at a ham radio club meeting last week that will do exactly what I want it to do. Run RSS!!!!!!

W

W4ZMJ

Congradulations they are good radios but heavy I have a VHF and UHF 16 channel somewhere I have a HT 600 also I basically use the radios to receive on at home I had one fall off my car one time in the middle of the highway I had left it on top of the vehicle and turned around and the only damage was a scrape on the battery I'm definitely not knocking these radios but I find myself not carrying one around any more but as a last resort I would use it over some of these cheap baofengs and I probably wouldn't call Motorola for anything some of their rules whatever you have it is nonsense anyway

Sent from my LG-H343 using Tapatalk

RFI-EMI-GUY

Let me start out by saying I love being a Ham Radio Operator. I've had my license for about 12 years now and upgraded to General Class this February. I thoroughly enjoy helping my local ham radio community be the best it can be. By getting in my car and driving around South Florida confirming repeaters to see which are on the air and which aren't, by posting weekly reminders of local ham radio related info on my QRZ page, and by helping two clubs host there weekly nets & hosting my own 70cm net to foster increased communication on the 70cm band. Needless to say I put myself out there. And it's no wonder that I find some that are less than appreciative of my actions. A few months ago I received a Motorola MT1000 16-Channel VHF radio. I was very happy and promptly purchased a battery & antenna for it. But I wondered how am I going to program this phenomenal radio? I saw a place on-line (Supplier of New Motorola Radio Parts Batteries and Accessories.) that will program Genesis Series radios among others. So I figured that was my ticket. One day about a month ago I got talking to a fellow ham on a local repeater and long story short it turns out he has an old Panasonic Toughbook CF-27 with the RSS software installed. He said he would program my radio for me. What a delight and to watch him use the software and program the radio made me want to get more Motorola Genesis Series radios and also be able to program them up myself. Upon looking on-line and talking to my friend I quickly learned that you need an older computer that runs DOS, RSS software, hardware (RIB box, cables, etc). I also read that people were getting sued by Motorola back in 2000 and then there is the sticky note from this forum "Are you looking for free programming software?" from 2007 which made me think I'm doomed simply because my intention was to purchase the many inexpensive Genesis & Jedi Series radios off Ebay and other outlets such as Hamfests and program them myself as well as advertise to my ham radio community who may have said radios laying around just waiting to be programmed or those wishing to purchase said radios and need them programmed. I also knew my intentions and once I advertised those intentions the less than appreciative folks would have a field day with me saying all sorts of things I can't do. Sooooooo I decided to call Motorola Tech Support and get the facts straight from the source.
I called there Tech Support 800 number and spoke to a nice lady. I told her I have a peculiar question to ask. I said I'm a ham radio operator (she probably thought oh boy another one of these guys) and my question is about Genesis Series radios. She said I'm not familiar with those & I thought this is going exactly how I hoped!!!! She said do you have a model #? So I gave her the Model # off the above radio which is H43GCU7180AN. After about a minute it must have come up on her computer and she says I show it to be an MT1000. I said that's correct. Her response was wow that's an old model. I said it is but they are worth there wait in gold to us hams!!!! I said my question is I have a friend who programmed it up for me using the Radio Service Software but I want to do it myself and for my ham radio community. I said I'm not looking to sell the software or make money off programming peoples radios but I don't want to get jammed up and have lawyers knocking on my door or have Motorola track me down like someone mentioned in a forum. She laughed and said well we don't track people down and I can assure you we won't be knocking on your door. She said the Radio Service Software is proprietary software but is unsupported software as far as Motorola is concerned. She says we don't even sell it anymore. I said well I can get it no problem but can I use it is the question. She went on to say basically don't come to Motorola for help or support with it because again it is unsupported. Her main reasons were 1 RSS is DOS based which is old technology and 2 the channel spacing implementation mandated by the FCC on 1/1/13. She said the new mandate is 12.5 KHz and these older radios programmed by the Radio Service Software are 25 KHz radios which are basically only good on the ham bands.
Apparently a lot has changed since the 5 individuals were sued by Motorola back in 2000 for utilizing the Radio Service Software illegally and even since the Sticky note entitled "Are you looking for free programming software?" was posted in 2007.
So interpret this as you see fit but I'm going ahead and preparing the great laptop (Toshiba Satellite 4020CDT) I happened to stumble on for free at a ham radio club meeting last week that will do exactly what I want it to do. Run RSS!!!!!!

Sounds like you spoke to one very knowledgeable and reasonable person at Motorola!

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
Yes the radios are big & heavy to an extent compared to the Kenwood's, Icom's & Yaesu's to name a few and don't get me wrong I own two of the three I just listed and love em. But my 7 VHF MT1000's, 2 UHF MT1000's & 2 VHF P200's are just as valuable to me. Unfortunately the Genesis stuff are always transmitting 5 watts except for the 2 watt unit which are what my P200's are so the batteries don't last as long when your ragchewing. My Kenwood TH-F6 and Yaesu VX-5R I usually drop down to the lowest power setting if at all possible. And yes the female was nice and very informative.

Last edited:

N4KVE

They were a decent radio in 1991. But it’s now 2018. Find yourself a full keypad MTS2000. Under $100, & does way more. In the 90’s i would use my MT1000 on the UHF ham band. But when the fair came to town every year, & I’d work for them, their freq’s were 468 simplex. I’d have to have the radio retuned to 468 to work properly. Then when the fair would leave, I’d have to retune the radio back to the 440 band. The MTS2000 would cover 403-470 w/o retuning. Many more features. Now of course I use the XTS, & APX radios. I’m sure if you want to add to your MT1000 collection, you could go to any dumpster behind your local 2-way shop because they do not do narrow band. The MTS2000 does. Even XTS3000’s are near $100 now. Heck, last year I picked up a VHF Astro Saber for $45. Analog, & digital, wide, & narrow band. Is your computer, or cell phone still from 1992?

KK4TTR

Have you tried running DOS or whatever OS you need to run RSS on a virtual machine? You could try VirtualBox and use any modern PC. I couldn't tell if you needed a slower clock, which I've heard on the local repeater is a requirement for some of these older programs.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've successfully run a program called "RUFUS" on a 2009 era laptop with HT-1000, GM300, JT-1000, etc. Motorola RSS.
Rufus is a DOS program you load onto a USB stick. My old laptop is Windows XP, and I just tell it to boot up off the USB stick. Works just fine, and it's downloadable for free.

I haven't tried it with Genesis software.

RFI-EMI-GUY

They were a decent radio in 1991. But it’s now 2018. Find yourself a full keypad MTS2000. Under $100, & does way more. In the 90’s i would use my MT1000 on the UHF ham band. But when the fair came to town every year, & I’d work for them, their freq’s were 468 simplex. I’d have to have the radio retuned to 468 to work properly. Then when the fair would leave, I’d have to retune the radio back to the 440 band. The MTS2000 would cover 403-470 w/o retuning. Many more features. Now of course I use the XTS, & APX radios. I’m sure if you want to add to your MT1000 collection, you could go to any dumpster behind your local 2-way shop because they do not do narrow band. The MTS2000 does. Even XTS3000’s are near $100 now. Heck, last year I picked up a VHF Astro Saber for $45. Analog, & digital, wide, & narrow band. Is your computer, or cell phone still from 1992?

My Verizon V3M cellphone is from 2006 and works fine thank you. If not for E911 positioning, I would still be using my indestructible CDMA phone from 1997.

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie

I plan on acquiring the radios in series. I'm just weird like that. So I have 9 various MT1000's so I'm good there. I have 2 6-Channel VHF 2-Watt P200's so I want to get a matching pair of 2-Watt UHF P200's and I'll keep those as my low power units. Then I'll get a pair of HT600's (one VHF 5-Watt & one UHF 4-Watt). Once I obtain those I'll set my sights on the Jedi Series Stuff. Then the Astro Saber gear. Excited about getting on our several P25 repeaters in Palm Beach County. Any my main computer is 6 months old with Windows 10 and I have the iPhone 10 or X whichever you want to call it.

Last edited:

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
Have you tried running DOS or whatever OS you need to run RSS on a virtual machine? You could try VirtualBox and use any modern PC. I couldn't tell if you needed a slower clock, which I've heard on the local repeater is a requirement for some of these older programs.

I want to try running pure DOS on an older laptop like the Toshiba Satellite 4020CDT that I recently acquired. My buddy does it on his Panasonic Toughbook CF-27. He runs DOS 6.22 or something like that. He also uses a program that slows the cache down so it works better with RSS. His works great!!! It's programmed my 11 Genesis Series radios so I'm gonna have mine like his or close to it. I mean if it's not broke why fix it lol!!!!

RFI-EMI-GUY

But very likely a person lacking the authority to make such a decision. Sometimes people hear what they want to hear.

I really don't see Motorola having much practical interest in RSS for a 20 year old product. However with new CPS and EID's. they clearly have their hands around the product.

How will anyone in the ham world get a wideband EID for an APX radio in 15 years? Probably a moot point because APX will be outlived by surviving 40 year old SABERS and MT1000's in 15 years.

I have always wondered if Motorola had a policy of requiring re licensing of RSS software when MSS shops changed ownership. Did the purchasing shop have to buy all new RSS, or could they acquire rights to RSS when the sale was closed?

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
I really don't see Motorola having much practical interest in RSS for a 20 year old product. However with new CPS and EID's. they clearly have their hands around the product.

How will anyone in the ham world get a wideband EID for an APX radio in 15 years? Probably a moot point because APX will be outlived by surviving 40 year old SABERS and MT1000's in 15 years.

I have always wondered if Motorola had a policy of requiring re licensing of RSS software when MSS shops changed ownership. Did the purchasing shop have to buy all new RSS, or could they acquire rights to RSS when the sale was closed?

I agree RFI-EMI-GUY. I believe DOS was one reason but the nail in the coffin was the FCC changing the channel spacing. What use does Motorola have with the Radio Service Software given it's age and the fact that it's DOS based and the radios it programs are really only useful on the non channel spacing affected ham bands. Maybe they'll run a classic themed commercial like the car companies do where they'll show a ham preferably programming an MT1000 using RSS to show how great Motorola is lol. Wouldn't that be something!!!!!

N4KVE

Funny you ask. A number of years ago I attended the bankruptcy auction of a 2-way shop. I purchased a laptop that was loaded with practically every CPS you can imagine. I had no licensing agreement with Moto, but a Broward County judge ordered all the assets were to be sold. Lucky deal for me.

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
Funny you ask. A number of years ago I attended the bankruptcy auction of a 2-way shop. I purchased a laptop that was loaded with practically every CPS you can imagine. I had no licensing agreement with Moto, but a Broward County judge ordered all the assets were to be sold. Lucky deal for me.

Very awesome find Gary. Definitely very lucky! I sent you a private message thru here by the way sir.

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The Motorola RSS software was very primitive, and obsolete for several decades. So much so, they should be embarrassed. They likely didn't have anyone at the time capable of updating it.

I like manufactures that supply the programming software with the radio, or at least giving the consumer access to buying it at a reasonable price. I think it was closely guarded to protect the authorized Motorola techs/service centers. There was BIG money in that back then. Now we all see it's not magic! Unfortunately, there are those who misuse it, and program radios with illegal parameters.

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
The Motorola RSS software was very primitive, and obsolete for several decades. So much so, they should be embarrassed. They likely didn't have anyone at the time capable of updating it.

I like manufactures that supply the programming software with the radio, or at least giving the consumer access to buying it at a reasonable price. I think it was closely guarded to protect the authorized Motorola techs/service centers. There was BIG money in that back then. Now we all see it's not magic! Unfortunately, there are those who misuse it, and program radios with illegal parameters.

iMONITOR I agree with you about those who misuse it. There will always be those folks in our midst. As far as updating it I agree to like on 99-Channel MT1000's they didn't update the scanning program so you can still only scan 8 channels. Would be nice to scan more. I guess they saved em for the Jedi Series which I believe you can scan more and change the power setting.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Hey you cannot argue a judges order!

K7MFC

WRAA720
She said the Radio Service Software is proprietary software but is unsupported software as far as Motorola is concerned...I said well I can get it no problem but can I use it is the question...

Sounds like some of Motorola's software could be considered abandonware:

wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware

Note that abandonware is not a really a legal term. It does not mean that the intellectual property has become public domain, nor does it entitle the use/distribution/modification/resale of said software. The copyright(s) which Motorola holds on this software have likely still not expired. The customer service representative you spoke with is probably right in saying that Motorola will not pursue copyright infringement charges in regards to obsolete software as it is impractical. However, I would agree with iMONTOR's comment that the customer service representative probably does not have the authority to grant permission for use of their legacy software. If you are to play strictly by the law, obtaining the software from anywhere other than official Motorola distribution channels, you are not in the green, regardless of the age of the software or current level of support provided by Motorola.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.