HP-2: GPS USB Pinout

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0ZQR

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have the pin-out for the GPS port on the HP2?

Am trying to build a custom cable for my second (maybe third) vehicle so that I can use the HP2 in them without having to buy a GPS kit (I already have the GPS for my APRS set-up). I did this before with my Garmin III and D700, and used the Uniden kit without the puck.

I have found the connectors and the cable, just need the pin-out.

Ron

gh6406

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have the pin-out for the GPS port on the HP2?

Am trying to build a custom cable for my second (maybe third) vehicle so that I can use the HP2 in them without having to buy a GPS kit (I already have the GPS for my APRS set-up). I did this before with my Garmin III and D700, and used the Uniden kit without the puck.

I have found the connectors and the cable, just need the pin-out.

Ron

You may want to ask jonwienke. He does GPS Mods for the 436 and 536. Just search for BCD436 GPS Mods.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Colors refer to the cables I use, YMMV.
1 RED Data Out (-5V when scanner is on)
2 GRN NC
3 WHT Data In (GPS connects here)
4 BLK Ground

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Easiest way is to test which pin is grounded to establish pin 4, and work from there. All the others will read open or relatively high resistance to ground with the scanner off.

Pin 1 -5V is a RS232 logic 0 when the scanner is on, not something you can use as a power source.

N0ZQR

Premium Subscriber
HP2 GPS pinout

For those that were following this thread, I got this to work! Soldering the leads to the mini USB connector was a little challenging (poor eyesight) but now I don't have to use the zip code settings as I move around on my service calls!

Status
Not open for further replies.