WSJ article on encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

favin

Premium Subscriber
Want to listen to police scanners? Cops say no more.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/want-to-listen-to-police-scanners-cops-say-no-more-1526558400

Another article on the law enforcement position to encryption due to people listening via scanners and online apps. Broadcastify is mentioned.

Edit: Paywall from WSJ. flythunderbird has posted a pdf. copy of the article in this thread.
https://forums.radioreference.com/general-scanning-discussion/370519-wsj-article-encryption.html

Moderator, feel free to delete this posting.

Last edited:

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
From today's Wall Street Journal and posted without comment from me. As WSJ articles eventually go behind a paywall, I snagged a PDF copy to post here. Lindsay is quoted in the article, too. :D

Attachments

• Cops Say No More - WSJ.pdf
    65.9 KB · Views: 582

NYRHKY94

Thank you for sharing. As usual with the vast majority of articles regarding this subject (including this one), there is no mention that the final decision to go with full ENC is actually a "political policy decision" approved by those the police department reports to. While the Chief may be the initial impetus behind the move, the decision to do so ultimately rests with the elected officials he or she rolls up to: City Mayor, Town Council, County Executives etc.

These same elected officials are also "supposed to be" responsible/accountable for maintaining transparency in their government operations. As has been observed over the last several years however, absent any real pressure from their constituents (i.e. taxpayer voters at public meetings etc.) to leave day-to-day comms open.....the switch to full ENC just keeps moving along. On the other hand, at least this article makes mention that there are a number of public safety departments (some quite large in scale) who fully support transparency.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Scanner listeners

It only takes a few stupid people to ruin things for everyone else. Some departments have tried to compromise and leave the general dispatch open, but glory seekers like the person in the article don't understand the hobby listeners and are only self serving in their listening.

mesocyclone

Have FCC rules changed? Back when I got my First Phone License, it legal to monitor radio communications, but illegal to broadcast or disclose the contents of them.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I commented on that article and responded to another person's comment.

Given the policy on RR to not speak negatively on encryption, I'll leave it at that.

swatpup102

Premium Subscriber
I have no problem with encryption of swat and special operations traffic, but when departments fully encrypt the only thing I can think of is "what are you hiding." The departments around me haven't gone to this extreme yet, and I hope they never do.

mule1075

Feed Provider
That's true. I thought it merited posting because it's not often you see something like this in the WSJ.
Absolutely agree the debate is going to continue. If broadcastify did not have the platform someone else would as before it was scan America. Before that people were streaming on live365 or SHOUTcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.