Whistler to Launch New LSM Capable Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhistlerWendy

Premium Subscriber

Bentonville, AR– (May 17, 2018) The Whistler Group, Inc., a leading industry supplier of state-of the-art mobile electronics, announced today that they are in development of two new scanner models – the TRX-100 and TRX-200.

“Over the past 12 months, Whistler has listened to our customers and has worked to bring them what they have requested most,” said Wendy Taylor, Marketing Director at Whistler. “I am pleased to say that we are in development of the TRX-100 (handheld) and TRX-200 (desktop/Mobile) scanners which will feature an I/Q demodulator and A2DP Bluetooth Transceiver.”

Until now, traditional scanners have not had the ability to handle QPSK, a modulation scheme generated by Phase I and II simulcast systems, and as a result have fallen short when attempting to demodulate these signals resulting in poor reception and intelligible voice. With the addition of the I/Q demodulator, the TRX-100 and TRX-200 will outperform traditional scanners during weak signal conditions and Linear Simulcast Modulations (LSM), an issue that has plagued many customers.

Additionally, the A2DP Bluetooth transceiver will enable customers to pair common Bluetooth devices such as their favorite headphones or speaker for a completely wireless user experience in the home or on the go. The Bluetooth transceiver also opens up new opportunities for Whistler to partner with 3rd party developers to create virtual scanner apps which would allow the user to control the scanner remotely.

Like the TRX-1 and TRX-2, not only will these new models decode all major digital voice modes including P25 Phase I and II, they will also include DMR and NXDN at no additional cost to the customer.

The TRX-100 and TRX-200 will also include the advanced features you have come to trust from a Whistler Scanner:

Full backlit alphanumeric keypad
Scan, Pause, Select and navigation controls
All USA/Canada services and frequencies pre-programmed onto included SD Card
Upgradeable CPU, DSP, and library
Store favorite scanlists
EZ Scan PC software
Permits recording by scannable object and saves into a Windows compatible audio file
Clock and calendar function adds date/time info to the recordings
Dedicated SKYWARN®/Weather button
Spectrum Sweeper
Programmable audio and visual alert system

The TRX-100 and TRX-200 will begin shipping in Q4 2018.

###

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Good news, Wendy. Thanks for sharing. Any sneak peek at what they will look like? Or is it the same design as the -1 and -2?

AB5ID

Can anybody explain the theory behind how radios handle multicast issues better with a non-affiliated radio? I'm hoping this new Whistler will fit the bill along with the SDS 100. Unication already seems to handle this task much better.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I doubt it will be a hardware update.
That would mean you sending in the device to Whistler or them sending you the hardware to replace/ install.

AlphaFive

Like the TRX-1 and TRX-2, not only will these new models decode all major digital voice modes including P25 Phase I and II, they will also include DMR and NXDN at no additional cost to the customer.

Thank you very much for all of your efforts, they are appreciated, and this is Great News. Now, I will be the first Monkey to ask this; Will there be trunking for NXDN?? I have to say I was not able to tell from the information up to this point. Thank you again, take care.

fredva

Feed Provider
So, still no ProVoice support?

ProVoice is a feature of EDACS systems, which are being phased out. I can understand why a scanner manufacturer would not invest in that capability at this late date - over the next few years, fewer and fewer customers would benefit. In contrast, more and more communities are installing P25 Phase 2 Simulcast systems.

markjrenna

Looking forward to this! Nice to see that I will have 3 manufacturer options that handle LSM. Thank you!

Melv7956

I hope it can handle RAS enabled systems unlike the trx-1 and trx-2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

milcom_chaser

Wendy,
Are we going to be able to select what mode and step size we want for custom searches?
User selectable band defaults vs the pre-assigned tables from Whistler?

Thank You.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
For anybody asking if it will support NXDN-this and DMR-that, I think it's a pretty guaranteed bet that any NXDN / DMR decoding that is currently done on a TRX-1/TRX-2 will also be available on the TRX-100/200. Not sure why anyone would think that they would offer NXDN/DMR in the TRX-100/200 and then take a step backwards and only provide a partial list of trunked types that could be decoded. That would be downright silly, and they would be shooting themselves in the foot if they did that.

I'm moving forward with the assumption that when they say they will have NXDN/DMR support, they will have at least the same support for NXDN/DMR as they have now in the TRX-1/2.

I really didn't see this announcement coming, but I'm glad Whistler is going to be on board. A few things I like:

• They actually advertise LSM support (good for them -- they weren't scared to make the claim)
  • Bluetooth will be available
  • NXDN / DMR available at no additional charge

Sounds pretty darned good to me. Although I know that talented hardware types have mentioned in the past that a bluetooth radio in a scanner may actually be a nightmare due to potential interference. So I guess we will see.

mike

Mike

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Hope it has a better display .
Color would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.