• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

KMC-9 Mic Gain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3KGD

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

Does anyone know if there is any way to adjust the mic gain on a Kenwood KMC-9 (or 9C) microphone? For years I've been using Motorola products but jumped ship some time ago. I know the Motorola desk mics have a pot in the back of them which you can rotate to adjust the mic gain, but I don't see any for this model microphone? I've tore microphone apart and don't see a pot anywhere to adjust it. Am I overlooking something, or does the KMC-9 series microphone not have an adjustable microphone gain pot? My intended setup has the microphone sitting on a desk, pushed back a bit and out of the way, yet still in fingers reach to trigger the PTT, but field units are advising the audio sounds pretty low (and no one wants to keep adjusting their volume back and forth all day). The audio clarity isn't great until you are holding the desk mic in your hand talking directly into the mic element / outside grille, which defeats the whole purpose of the desk mic in this current setup.

So, in short, is there any way to adjust the microphone gain level on this desktop microphone, similar to the Motorola's or not?

Thanks,
Nick

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Nope, no internal adjustment in a KMC-9. For mic adjustments you'll need go to the settings in the radio software. What you can twiddle with depends on the model radio.

needairtime

The KMC-9 is an electret with preamp, and apparently is an option for my TK-810 that I don't have. The TK-810 has a pot inside that adjusts microphone gain, VR1 on the TX-RX board just before the main microphone amplifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.