a GOOD handheld

Status
Not open for further replies.

trx680

My son has his Tech license. He lives in a mountainous area in south western Virginia.
I'm looking for a good handheld for him. Of course a reliable radio but one that that is known for getting good reception and great transmission. He most likely will be using repeaters in his area.

What would you recommend?

SCPD

QRT
ht

For $30 the Baofeng UV82 do not buy the other L and high power versions,its a waste!

The Yaesu Ft60 Best bang for the buck! 144/440 mhz not the ft-70R it has no battery options.....
The Kenwood Th-F6 if you want 144/220 and 440mhz.

Fast1eddie

Each to his own, but I would stay away from the Chinese radios. Extremely difficult (if not impossible) to manually program, so you'll incur the additional expense of programming software, which may be moot point because the radios have so many memories (The Yaesu FT 60 has 1000!) so it is easier to manage them that way...I like my FT 60. Alinco, Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu, you cannot go wrong.

Not crazy of the digital modes, but again, my opinion. He's new in the hobby, so maybe start with the basic $100.00 Alinco dual band - it is analog - and let him learn and proceed from there. I prefer Universal Radio, suggest you visit the web site and review their catalog. Barb and Fred are good people with a excellent staff who will help you out.

I started with a old dual band Alinco radio and it's still going strong.

Best wishes and 73.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I agree with Eddie,
FT-60 is a known GOOD radio and a reasonable price. 2 meters and 70 centimeters will give him a lot of options and room to grow. Good base of accessories, batteries, etc. And, if something ever happens to it, they can be repaired, not just tossed in the trash.

I started off with a dual band hand held and it worked well. Realized the need to step up to a mobile quickly after that.

Will001

Premium Subscriber
Looks like y’all beat me to it. I would recommend the Yaesu FT-60, though honestly, I tend to stay away from non-commercial equipment. I use Motorola and professional Kenwood radios usually, though this is all personal opinion. If he is interested in DMR, he should get a TYT MD380.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CQ

Time to Upgrade and Live in the NOW

So much for advancing the art of amateur radio and not encouraging newer, proven modes to a new Ham.

Or are you guys touting old analog so you can still listen on your scanners that can't decode C4FM?

Fast1eddie

CQ, that's not the point. We have a new ham starting out and as I see it, it's far more practical (and financially sound) to start with a common and easy to use, easy to program analog product for him to learn on. Nothing says he cannot upgrade his radio as his budget permits.

Although there may be digital capable repeaters in his area, we all know the directories list "ghost" repeaters and those not entirely fully operational. I love 6 meters and see there are many listed in Pittsburgh, but apparently they are off the air. Get the picture??? For all I know, there may be many users on that machine embracing digital or there may not be???

So why bother throwing the money into a Ferrari when the Ford gets the job done??? If the man starts out simple and can justify the additional expense of a higher priced additional function rig, then so be it. Like many of us, he'll now have a backup radio.

Me personally, I see no immediate need to upgrade into a digital radio. I cannot justify it, nor do I want one. But that is my choice. I've lost much interest in the hobby and prefer to monitor HF utilities and odd vuhf government and satellite comms. Just don't get enthused much of the repeaters, since my divorce several years back, much of the wind has left the old man's sail.

Perhaps when and if the day ever returns, maybe I will purchase the Ferrari, but for now my Fords and Chevys sit fine with me.

My best wishes for the new ham and looking forward to a keyboard qso with him sometime.

ed

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
He lives in a mountainous area in south western Virginia.
I'm looking for a good handheld for him.
The "...mountainous area..." is a factor. Is a handheld the best option? How and where would he use it?

- Just get a mobile radio if he will mainly use it in a car. The extra watts a mobile offers is better than trying and failing using a handheld with a mobile antenna; depending on terrain, even a mobile may not work well enough.

- If he is primarily going to use the handheld on foot, there are quite a few suggestions already. The one I would add is to upgrade the antenna, if the stock one is not doing the job well enough. A Diamond SRH77CA, or one of the 77CA versions depending on the radio you get. It is long and floppy, but I have found it to be an improvement. My favorites are the Diamond SRH320A and RH951S, but they cost twice as much.

I own too many handhelds and I upgraded all of them to an aftermarket antenna. The supplied antennas were terrible ranging from Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood and Chinese made handhelds.

I own an inexpensive Baofeng handheld radio. It is a terrible radio that is perfect for leaving in the car as a spare inside of a plastic bag. For $25 it is an affordable spare. If it can get into the repeaters well enough where he will use it, perhaps purchase a better handheld and leave the Baofeng in the glove box.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
It depends. Does he want to do any digital modes like DMR, Yaesu System Fusion or D-Star?

I recommend the Icom ID-51. Great waterproof radio with GPS, dual band, and D-Star.

Then, co-currently also get a mobile radio with an outdoor antenna. The terrain where you live is NOT good for a handheld walkie talkie.

You need more power and an antenna up in the air to be able to go very far.

KE0GXN

My son has his Tech license. He lives in a mountainous area in south western Virginia.
I'm looking for a good handheld for him. Of course a reliable radio but one that that is known for getting good reception and great transmission. He most likely will be using repeaters in his area.

What would you recommend?

Yaesu FT-60R and Diamond SRH77CA antenna. This was my first HT/rig after I earned my ticket. It is still the only HT I own....because, for what I need, there is nothing better out there.

KI4RDO

Silent Key
For a portable ft60 hands down just like others have said. Battery life is great, its durable and has an amazing front receiver

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So much for advancing the art of amateur radio and not encouraging newer, proven modes to a new Ham.

So, which of the many digital modes would you recommend?

Remember, you have to consider where the end user is and if there are any repeaters and/or users of the specific digital mode, otherwise the radio is just going to be used in analog mode.

Lots to be done and learned with analog...

CQ

Status
Not open for further replies.