• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Stone Mountain Microphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colton25

Can anyone give input on these mics? Doing research and they seem pretty rugged. How do they compare to OEM microphones?

586ED

Premium Subscriber
We used Stone Mountain Speaker Microphones on the macom P7100 series hand held radios. Fire service used a heavier duty version. They worked OK. They had a draw back. When depressing the push to talk button on the speaker mic housing, you had to be dead on and push the button straight in. If you pushed the push to talk button too high or to low it would not work. If you depressed the push to talk button off center too many times, it would bend the switch. The OEM mics had flimsy cords early on. This was later corrected with a heavier mic cord.

Colton25

Thanks for the feedback, looking to get one for a Bendix King

We used Stone Mountain Speaker Microphones on the macom P7100 series hand held radios. Fire service used a heavier duty version. They worked OK. They had a draw back. When depressing the push to talk button on the speaker mic housing, you had to be dead on and push the button straight in. If you pushed the push to talk button too high or to low it would not work. If you depressed the push to talk button off center too many times, it would bend the switch. The OEM mics had flimsy cords early on. This was later corrected with a heavier mic cord.

RodStrong

I have a demo KNG-P800 and put a SM mic on it after not digging the OEM mic Relm gave me. It seems to be pretty good. I carried it on duty for a while and was ok with it. Seemed to be of decent quality. Not too long ago I had a guy from a neighboring law agency demo the radio for a few weeks and he liked the mic as well. Not sure which model it is. I could send a pic of it if you desire when I get back to the office.

Good luck.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Interesting looking product line. Too bad they do not give more information on the website, about what their products interface with.

Sent using Tapatalk

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Very modular microphones in terms of disassembly for repair. One of the things I did not like about them were the actual cords. Some of the worst dry-rotting I've seen in new stock products that have been sitting in original packaging for more than 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.