a GOOD mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

trx680

Yea, I posted about a good handheld for my son. He's a beginner but he's a smart kid. Currently studying Astronomy and Physics in college.

Some recommended a mobile unit.

I just talked to him and he mentioned a mobile unit.

So.......Whats your guys take on a mobile unit for his car? Transceiver and antenna.

I'd say might as well get something that is state of the art with the newest technology and a variety of frequencies. He'll learn it. And there are clubs his way that he can work with.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The problem with "new technology" is that often means "digital" to some.
The issue with amateur radio and digital is that there isn't a standard digital mode. With several digital modes to choose from, none of them compatible, no radios that "do it all", you have to pick one. Knowing which one to pick depends on the end user and what is available in their specific area. Some large metropolitan areas would have several digital repeaters to choose from, but in some cases, that can tie you to a certain club/repeater. Most rural areas don't have digital repeaters yet, or only have one, so you need to figure out what he needs.
Good news is that all of the digital radios will do analog, and that's more along the lines of what he'll find just about anywhere.

If I was buying a mobile amateur radio, I'd go with a dual band and one that does APRS, like the Kenwood TMd-710. My personal opinion, though.

And don't forget the antenna. A mobile radio will need a quality antenna if you want it to work well.

CQ

You Don't Have to Be An Expert

Yea, I posted about a good handheld for my son. He's a beginner but he's a smart kid. Currently studying Astronomy and Physics in college.

Some recommended a mobile unit.

I just talked to him and he mentioned a mobile unit.

So.......Whats your guys take on a mobile unit for his car? Transceiver and antenna.

I'd say might as well get something that is state of the art with the newest technology and a variety of frequencies. He'll learn it. And there are clubs his way that he can work with.

Would be nice if you replied to the questions in the other thread you made.
Why bother spending money on cheaper units and then "upgrading", losing money on trying to sell when you can go straight to the good stuff. Any beginner can learn on a GOOD rig.

I have both of these and they 're great.

YAESU FTM-100DR
https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=71-002024

Simultaneous dual band...you can have APRS running on bottom VFO as well if you're into that. It's also touch screen.
YAESU FTM-400XDR
https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-014544

DIAMOND SG-7900A-NMO
https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-006824

COMET-NCG CP-5NMO
https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-006551

Last edited:

CQ

The problem with "new technology" is that often means "digital" to some.
The issue with amateur radio and digital is that there isn't a standard digital mode. With several digital modes to choose from, none of them compatible, no radios that "do it all", you have to pick one. Knowing which one to pick depends on the end user and what is available in their specific area. Some large metropolitan areas would have several digital repeaters to choose from, but in some cases, that can tie you to a certain club/repeater. Most rural areas don't have digital repeaters yet, or only have one, so you need to figure out what he needs.
Good news is that all of the digital radios will do analog, and that's more along the lines of what he'll find just about anywhere.

If I was buying a mobile amateur radio, I'd go with a dual band and one that does APRS, like the Kenwood TMd-710. My personal opinion, though.

And don't forget the antenna. A mobile radio will need a quality antenna if you want it to work well.

How many digital standards are there in the commercial world? There isn't going to be one in the amateur world either. Pick one, two or three and live with it.

Ask them how many years they've been trying to squeeze them into one unit?
Wireless Holdings, LLC - DV4mobile

The GREAT part with C4FM/Fusion is that the repeater can run in analog and digital mode (AMS). Pick both. The other modes DO NOT do that.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
How many digital standards are there in the commercial world? There isn't going to be one in the amateur world either. Pick one, two or three and live with it.

Lots, and I doubt the amateur community will ever settle on just one. Settling on a few would be good, rather than each company coming up with their own.

DMR would be a good start.

Yeah, I've been watching those guys. Likely it seemed do-able when they started, then reality set in. I'm sure it can be done, but they are probably trying to keep the price below a certain point and just haven't figured out how to make that happen yet.

The GREAT part with C4FM/Fusion is that the repeater can run in analog and digital mode (AMS). Pick both. The other modes DO NOT do that.

NXDN can run mixed mode, but I doubt NXDN will ever get much traction in the amateur world. Just not enough need for 6.25 channels or 9.6K data, much better ways to achieve that.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I recommend the Yaesu 400XD and a Diamond NR770HB antenna, or whichever version of the NR770 would best suit his needs. He will also need a few additional items.

If you do not want to spend $600 on either of these radios, then the next step down I recommend is the Kenwood V71A $350. It is basically the same radio as the D710, but with a different control head that does not offer as many bells and whistles. (You can actually purchase a control head separately and essentially turn the V71 into a D710, but that RC-D710 control head alone is around $320.)

--------
Mobile Radio:
- I currently use a Kenwood D710 in my vehicle.
- At home I use a Yaesu 400XD.

The Kenwood is a great toolbox that offers a few additional options the 400XD is unable to do, but not to many operators use those extra features. The 400XD offers a digital mode in addition to analog, but a repeater that offers that may not be in his area. There are also fewer C4FM digital users than there are of analog.

What I like about both is that they are dual RX and TX. Thus, I can monitor one frequency while scanning through others at the same time. Another option is using APRS (sending a tracking signal) on one side while scanning or listening to a particular frequency on the other. Both of these radios offer that.

Antenna:
- I have found the Diamond NR770HB to be a very suitable antenna for my needs. There are two other versions of that antenna as well. A feature he may or may not use is that antenna has the ability to fold over, when not being used.

Mobile mount and coaxial cable:
- In addition to the radio and antenna, you will need a suitable mobile mount and the coax from the radio to the mount. The best location for the antenna is at the highest point of the vehicle, but sometimes a compromise must be made. He will need to think that one through.

Programming:
- I use RTSystems software with all my radios. Sure, one could program a radio by hand, but that is not for me. I load up quite a few frequencies. That software alone costs about $25 and it is well worth it. (These radios have wide RX coverage. I program in and listen to much more than amateur radio.)

The Kenwood requires a programming cable. The Yaesu can use a common MicroSD memory card. A cable is also comes standard with the Yaesu, but I only use it for firmware updates.

SCPD

QRT
fantastic ,mobile

Best one I had so far ICOM ic-2730A ,fastest scan,best receive,most features for dual band,audio is loud at both ends and no trouble with intermod here I am 1 mile from Newark,NJ and NYC is 10 miles away.Easy to program and has a memory sd card slot for backup.4If you have the green go for a Yaesu FT-857D.All modes,HF ,VHF and UHF.
Antenna is a Diamond supergainer SG7500 or 7900!

wrath

Actually the nice thing about Yaesus fusion is a hotspot can transcode fusion and DMR SO 1 Yaesu can get you two digital modes .

My primary mobiles are Kenwood 710 GA in my opinion they are the best of current radios ,although i will retire them in the blink of an eye if a tri band mobile based on the 74A comes out .i have a hotspot on my wheelchair and carry my 74A and Yaesu to do digital well my 710 beacons APRS ,IF I find another ham along the way via APRS I will rag chew, we should be able to put a magnetic sign on the greyhound with ham on board !

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
My primary mobiles are Kenwood 710 GA in my opinion they are the best of current radios ,although i will retire them in the blink of an eye if a tri band mobile based on the 74A comes out .i have a hotspot on my wheelchair and carry my 74A and Yaesu to do digital well my 710 beacons APRS ,IF I find another ham along the way via APRS I will rag chew, we should be able to put a magnetic sign on the greyhound with ham on board !

1. I agree with your "...blink of an eye..." statement about the 74A. I like that radio. It replaced four other handhelds. What would really be nice is a second antenna port for low band up to VHF on the mobile version. I do enjoy listening.

2. Am I reading correctly? You have a D710A on your wheelchair and you use that to send APRS, all while on a Greyhound? I believe I am misunderstanding what you wrote.

wrath

Nope you got it right , i have a an unusual hard to find chair that i bought specifically because it has third battery seperate from the mobility batteries , that i use to play radio and computers and cameras , i have a Diamond NR 770 and a austin spectra for the scanner .i do use the heavy duty Diamond mount so for field day and such i can switch to a tarheels HP screwdriver and my icom 7000,( the Icom isn't as convient if you are familiar with there kooky hang up hook ,it does not like the magnetic mic ,so the mic stays in my lap) i am the one guy at field day that never forgets a comfortable seat to operate(LOL) , so yes i do go Greyhound mobile , they drive and i work the radio .All chairs use sealed AGM batteries deep discharge, and I can get 8-9 hours @100 watts per charge , they get replaced yearly and I keep the old ones instead of junking them, they back up my station at home. At home I have my normal shack , but in the middle of the night i dont want to get up so the other 710 is my in bed radio for the late night insomnia net , the head is mounted bedside and I use a magnetic mic mount that I screwed to the side of my nightstand, the most comfortable operating position is horizontal ! If they come out with tri bander these 710's are prepared to become i gate and dedicated echolink node. Although at home I run my weather station on it and mobile I use the GPS for the scanner,this thing just lends itself to so many roles ,i pray they keep the versatility and reliability ,my last tri bander was a Kenwood also 20 years ago. Why not use a duplexer ?I do that on my base VHF/UHF radio to break out the antenna because it has mono and inputs ,i have an x500 with a single cable I split ,or have a beam for SSB on seperate coax .
1. I agree with your "...blink of an eye..." statement about the 74A. I like that radio. It replaced four other handhelds. What would really be nice is a second antenna port for low band up to VHF on the mobile version. I do enjoy listening.

2. Am I reading correctly? You have a D710A on your wheelchair and you use that to send APRS, all while on a Greyhound? I believe I am misunderstanding what you wrote.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Oh wow. Have you posted pictures of your setup? I would like to see that. That seems like a lot of RF near your noggin.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy

Actually, as mmckenna already stated, NXDN is quite capable of that (and it's also C4FM). To add to what has already been stated, P25 can do it (again, C4FM) as can DMR. DMR it's just not part of the spec though almost every manufacturer has a method to operate a repeater with some form of mixed mode support. Icom's DStar is really the only digital mode which doesn't handle mixed mode operation in some form.

Status
Not open for further replies.