MilAir Scanning in VT/NH - Input Welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwscott

Premium Subscriber
I just moved to Vermont, just in from Lebanon, NH. My interest in MilAir scanning has been rekindled by seeing what I'm fairly sure was a refueling operation flyover yesterday evening almost straight overhead.

I've done some research here and on some sites I used to frequent when I monitored USAF HF and CG HF ops. I'm out of HF now, but running a pair of HomePatrols I & II, a BC436HP and a Whistler TRX-1. I'm up on a ridgetop at about 950' with a 360 view of the skies.

I'd like to share info with anyone in the area. I travel throughout northern New England and plan to listen (and record) elsewhere as well. So far I've loaded all the air military frequencies in the RR DB as pulled by Sentinel for HomePatrol. Plus I added the primary and secondary frequencies for Air Refueling Track #AR212:

AR212 238.9000 282.7000 FL190/FL220
Aircraft should plan right turn after end A/R

I'd be open to other suggestions. I'm limited in what I can do for antennas by an association, but I do have a big attic into which I may install a discone antenna at some point in the future. I would also consider the purchase of other radio gear (had an Icom R7100 in the day).

Looking forward to monitoring some interesting comms here. Will be in Burlington, VT at the end of the week too and Portland, ME in a few weeks.

Phil in VT
N3KDJ

pwscott

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the heads up on the B-52; did not monitor anything I could tell was related.
I'm happy to be hearing refueling comms on the AR212 track primary frequency of 238.9.00
Also copied a short callsign only comm from "Blue 21" on Air Combat Command (ACC) Command Post freq of 311.000

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Phil, go see the Scan New England wiki - there's a lot of stuff for your area stored there...Mike

jimlawrence

See if you can hear Boston Center on 282.2/135.7. The transmitter site is actually north of you but I could hear it very well when I lived in Randolph not far from where you are.
Here's a few more freqs to get you started:
235.1000 AR-609
276.5000 AR-609
295.8000 AR-631 primary
324.6 AR (I hadn't heard much on this for months, may have fallen into disuse)
The "locals" out of KBTV work both UHF and VHF (138-144). Searching should find most of them, especially the VHFs. They'll all be AM mode.
The folks that fly up from Massachusetts usually work just UHF. Their frequencies are widely published on the 'net.
It's been a few years since I've lived in Vermont and frequencies may have changed, so I can't testify how good the scan-ne info is but it should be pretty good.. It's best to search and keep your ears on Boston Center as you'll hear Boston talking to "flights" headed in and out of military use airspace. Be aware that my experience has been that you'll hear the most during the workweek and on NG weekends. The rest of the time, things can be so quiet, you'll have to keep checking your scanner to make sure it's still working.

Happy listening!

pwscott

Premium Subscriber
VT Milair

Very helpful Jim....I am hearing Boston Center on those freqs...distant but readable I think and that's with just a telescoping whip SMA antenna on the HomePatrol-II so far. I'll give it a listen. You're dead on about traffic during the weekdays. I record the refueling freqs and it's dead on most weekends.

jimlawrence

You might want to add the "coronet" frequencies into your receiver. I understand some of them may still be in use but don't expect a lot of traffic on them. Coronets are here:
SOCAL MILCOM | Southern California Military Communications » Coronet Ops

Since you're so close to Lebanon, you may also want to try listening to Boston on 134.7/269.475, as well. You'll hear traffic from the south being handed off to 135.7/282.2. Always good for a heads-up, however, it is my recollection that the controller on 135.7/282.2 actually gave the flights clearance into the military airspace and most of the AR routes. I believe AR-609 is controlled by another Boston center sector, however. Lake George, maybe?

You can watch the military airspace around you go hot and cold here:
https://sua.faa.gov/sua/

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.