Is this a legit scanner antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackink

A friend of mine has this antenna.

I'm not familiar with this style antenna and was wondering if it looks like it should, or are there a couple of elements broken/bent on it?

And one more question: the connection on the end of the RG 59 coax that is connected to this antenna is a huge connection. Me being fairly new to scanners am not familiar with it.
The picture below may not be accurate on the antenna connection but it's close to what it looks like.
Thanks for any help on this.

Attachments

• Antenna 003.JPG
    Antenna 003.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 928
  • Antenna 004.JPG
    Antenna 004.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 922
  • Antenna 005.JPG
    Antenna 005.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 907
  • antenna connection.jpg
    antenna connection.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 901

byndhlptom

Antenna

Yes, it is a legit scanner antenna. It was sold at RS for a while, probably other places

Unless it's just the angle, looks like it's missing a ground radial (should have three)

Each vertical element is for a different band (typ VHF-Lo, VHF-hi and UHF)

The connector is probably a SO-239, requires a PL259 (or an adapter) on the coax

The adapter pictured is a SO-239 to Motorola plug (commonly used in older crystal scanners and car radios). It also will plug into RCA connector (another older antenna connection on many radios (Plectron used them a lot, and others)

$.02

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
It is a Radio Shack scanner antenna, but appears to be missing one or two ground radials. It was designed to be a multi band ground plane. Not an ideal design, but they worked. A good discone would work better.

Blackink

Thanks for the quick replies.

The friend who has this antenna said he used it on his Radio Shack scanner, I don't know the model of that scanner.
Does that verify that the connection shown may indeed be a S0-239?

He also said that antenna connection comes apart.....does it?
I played with it for a couple of minutes and couldn't get it apart but I am not familiar with that style antenna connection.

Grateful for the help here,
Steve

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Early Radio Shack scanners used Motorola connectors, hence the adapter you show. I'm talking scanners from the 70's and 80's. Later, I think they started to use BNC connectors. Never saw one with an SO-239, but there could have been some. Early Regency's and Bearcats used Motorola plugs too.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
There are adapters to easily convert the connector to BNC or SMA. Usually they have a short section of small coax to reduce the strain onthe radio.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Yup missing one ground plane radial.... Supposed to have 3. Spread out in a triangular pattern, though you could point em all in one area to make a sorta yagi.... Would be a nightmare to use on an P25 LSM system in the 700/800 MHz range. Might just do OK on conventional stuff still. All the radials that are still there look clean, connectors look clean. If the cable is still in good shape and not kinked or cracked it may still be good to go. Though you WILL lose some signal via the multiple connectors/adapters you will need.

Blackink

Yup missing one ground plane radial.... Supposed to have 3. Spread out in a triangular pattern, though you could point em all in one area to make a sorta yagi.... Would be a nightmare to use on an P25 LSM system in the 700/800 MHz range. Might just do OK on conventional stuff still. All the radials that are still there look clean, connectors look clean. If the cable is still in good shape and not kinked or cracked it may still be good to go. Though you WILL lose some signal via the multiple connectors/adapters you will need.

The coax is very thin and quite flexible. My guess is it will loose a lot of signal just as it is compared to better coax made today.
And yes, if he was to add more connections to get it to the scanner he has now, a bcd996p2, he will certainly lose signal strength.

I'm hoping to talk him into a new antenna, possibly a discone with new coax.

Thanks for the input

Blackink

I'm going to get a picture tomorrow of the connection on the end of the coax and post that here for verification on whether it's an SO-239.

NC1

I had one of those in the late 1970's all the way to the late 90's and it worked great for VHF/UHF. It does appear that one round plane radial is missing, or it just the angle of the picture hiding the 3rd one.

Of course this was mounted above a TV antenna on the roof of a 3-story house. It was amazing the way it pulled in signals from other states.

One time I heard a DEA agent checking in and getting updates while going from PA to NYC in his mobile (no repeater). The next morning there had been an incident in NYC that was all over the news. I had no idea what was going on at the time but knew it was unusual activity.

Those were the days when they were "in the clear" like that. Of course cordless phones would occasionally "interfere" as far as two towns away while I was searching the bands, LOL. Cellphones later also "interfered" when I was band searching.

I would get it just to see what it will do - you can never have too many antennas.

Station51

those WERE the days

"Those were the days when they were "in the clear" like that. Of course cordless phones would occasionally "interfere" as far as two towns away while I was searching the bands, LOL. Cellphones later also "interfered" when I was band searching."

Oh how I miss that interference lol

dmg1969

I had that RS scanner antenna and it gave fantastic reception..even on low band. The attic in our old house had the room for it. Like others said, it is missing a rod/radial for the ground plane. I got out of the hobby for a while when my county went to Open Sky and I sold it. One of my biggest regrets in the hobby.

Blackink

OK, so I am posting some pics to help me clarify if I've ordered the correct part or not. This connector is on the end of the coax that goes to the antenna I posted earlier.

The part I ordered from Amazon is this connector.
Is this the right one to connect to the part I posted (pics below) and to his bcd996p2 scanner?

Thanks...

Attachments

• Connector1.jpg
    Connector1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 333
  • Connector2.jpg
    Connector2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 339
  • Connector3.jpg
    Connector3.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 333
Status