• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What are some CB radio's with outstanding RX and TX audio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc0bus

Hi,
What are some particularly good sounding classic and modern CB radio's out there? When I say 'good audio', I mean both transmit and receive audio in AM mode and SSB mode as well as the audio coming out of the built-in, stock speaker in the cabinet or even the external speaker socket on the back of the radio. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you

Last edited:

Retroradio

A classic, the GE Superbase has outstanding audio from the internal speaker. In 40 + yeras of radio its the only one that I dont think sounds like a speaker in a tin can. run. Its smooothhhhh......
Mileage may vary.

Retroradio

No matter how good the antenna, a poor quality receive section coupled with a grabage speaker in a tin box will sound awful.

The higher quality radios like the GE Superbase, SBE , CPi had great receive audio and superlative receive sections. It didnt matter weither hooked to a 1/4 wave, dipole or a beam.

This holds true for ham radios which is which in my other life in radio I run them through an external Kenwood speaker with a filter network. Even their internal speakers sound tinny. Its the nature of the beast. Best solution for sound quality is a good external speaker with a good quality radio.

AC9BX

Best audio I ever had (still have the radio on a shelf) is a Sears 23. 3 knobs, no features, 23 channels, awesome audio.
Unden PC122 (not XL) sounded pretty good.

So far in my 39 years of life 8 years driving I've been surprised by the so called cheap ones sounding really good ( most were most likely modified) I just literally switched to a galaxy from cobra. I will say receive clarity and volume are way better than the cobra 29 I had that gave up the ghost and stopped transmitting on me. Both radios came from CB shops ( two different ones) both peaked and tuned since most units sold in the box are well under the max regs according to fcc rules. Both are running max 4-5 watts( still haven't sat down to read the rules that came with new rig, it's been 20 years since I read them when I bought a radio shack special). And whatever their pep was set at, I wanna say 30 but dont quote me. The galaxy in recieve works a heck of a lot better than cobra. Transmitting is,according to fellow drivers, also better than my old cobra. With the price tag on the galaxy I would expect better quality and sound from it. Mine cost me 235 everything where the cobra cost m 129 but was used no mounting bracket or power wire so I had to buy those also.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Token

I really like the transmitted audio from the Tram D201A, the receiver is good, but probably not quite top shelf. The DAK X also has good audio, and the receiver on that is pretty darned good. The Stoner Pro-40 has both excellent TX and RX, but it is SSB only, no AM.

And of course, the Browning Golden Eagles always had good TX audio.

T!

Status
Not open for further replies.