Transitioning From RadioShack to Uniden

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASTRO_Man

Premium Subscriber
So I’ve had a RadioShack PRO-106 for nearly a decade now, and really enjoyed that scanner. Then, I made the stupid mistake to swap the PRO-106 for a Whistler WS1040 (ALMOST identical), and I regret it. The PRO-106 had zero simulcast distortion and the WS1040 has terrible simulcast distortion. So now, I can return the WS1040 and get my $260 back, but now I’m thinking: I can get a BCD436HP for only $100 more, so why not?

My questions are:
- How bad is simulcast distortion on the 436?
- I’m so used to the physical volume knob, bank numbers, etc, on the PRO-106. Has anyone transitioned from RadioShack and like Uniden more (or hated it?)
- I want to stick my budget under $400. Should I just return the WS1040 and buy another PRO-106 in good shape?

Just my thoughts as I’m trying to figure out what I want to do. I would love Phase 2 and DMR coverage, and my next door town has a Phase 2 system going up in the very near future. But I just don’t know what the best option would be.

Thanks guys :)

mule1075

Feed Provider
Wait for the Uniden sds 100 or Whistler's future options if they come to fruition. That being said for your price point you could try a 436hp. A lot of variables to consider.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you want P25 Phase II and DMR coverage, the 436 is a good choice. The 436 is not as good at handling simulcast as the SDS100, but it is better than most every other scanner out there. The 436 can do some really cool tricks with GPS that Whistler doesn't--when a GPS is connected to the scanner, it can automatically turn channels on and off as you are traveling, so you can drive from NY to CA and hear local traffic all the way, without constantly having to tell the scanner its new location or manually turn things on or off. When not traveling, GPS is still useful to tell the scanner what part of large statewide or multi-state trunked systems are in in your area and scannable, as well as non-trunked analog channels.

Newer scanners don't use banks any more. The 436 uses favorite lists, which are not limited to a number of channels per bank. The only limit is that the entire favorite list has to be less than 1MB in size. You can scan multiple favorite lists, though.

The SDS100 is specifically designed to handle simulcast, but is significantly more expensive than your $400 budget.

ASTRO_Man

Premium Subscriber
If you want P25 Phase II and DMR coverage, the 436 is a good choice. The 436 is not as good at handling simulcast as the SDS100, but it is better than most every other scanner out there. The 436 can do some really cool tricks with GPS that Whistler doesn't--when a GPS is connected to the scanner, it can automatically turn channels on and off as you are traveling, so you can drive from NY to CA and hear local traffic all the way, without constantly having to tell the scanner its new location or manually turn things on or off. When not traveling, GPS is still useful to tell the scanner what part of large statewide or multi-state trunked systems are in in your area and scannable, as well as non-trunked analog channels.

Newer scanners don't use banks any more. The 436 uses favorite lists, which are not limited to a number of channels per bank. The only limit is that the entire favorite list has to be less than 1MB in size. You can scan multiple favorite lists, though.

The SDS100 is specifically designed to handle simulcast, but is significantly more expensive than your $400 budget.

Yes I’ve also seen the sought after SDS-100. I see the price tag being around $700, which is pretty steep! But I may have to save up and get that one instead.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Yes I’ve also seen the sought after SDS-100. I see the price tag being around $700, which is pretty steep! But I may have to save up and get that one instead.
That $699 list price is above the probable selling price. I suspect the price from dealers will be closer to $599, if not lower. However, if you then added DMR & NXDN, then your cost does approach the $700 mark.

If your Pro-106 unit had no issues with simulcast, then it's likely that a 436HP would work as well. It's better at simulcast that the Pro-106, or the Whistler manufactured versions (WS1040, Pro-651), At just under $400 now, even after adding DMR and NXDN (the NXDN upgrade is still at $30 for now), you'd be well under the cost of the SDS100. You might skim through your state forum for any comments on that.

lou9155

i love my radio shack scanners built by grecom....cant tell the diff between phase 1 and analog...listening to my 436 as i work outside and the digital phase 1 sounds so muffled...like talking into a tp roller....disappointing

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried to adjust any of the 436hp digital decode parameters?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
My questions are:
- How bad is simulcast distortion on the 436?
- I’m so used to the physical volume knob, bank numbers, etc, on the PRO-106. Has anyone transitioned from RadioShack and like Uniden more (or hated it?)
- I want to stick my budget under $400. Should I just return the WS1040 and buy another PRO-106 in good shape?

Did you update the firmware in the new Whistler WS1040? Very important and could very well solve your immediate problem, if the PRO-106 was working well for you.

There is a pretty big learning curve to master the BCD436HP, however to begin using it all you have to do is enter your zip code, the radius (in miles) you want to monitor from that zip code, and pick'n'chose the type of services you want to monitor, ie; PD, FD, EMS, etc. That's it! After you get acquainted you can build what's called 'Favorites Lists' from there. It does have a multi-function physical volume knob like your PRO-106, that doubles as the squelch control. But there are an abundance of additional functions/features over the PRO-106 that will require time to learn, but it's worth it.

If you can return the WS1040, I'd do it, and buy the BCD4365HP. The WS1040 will soon become obsolete. The 436 should serve you well. If a PRO-106 worked in your situation, the 436 will work better. Later, if you feel you need it, you can always upgrade to the SDS-100. I recently purchased both the 436 and the 536, so I put my money where my mouth is.

You might want to looks this over, but don't let it intimidate you. Get acquainted with it.

Mark's Easier to read manuals
http://new.marksscanners.com/536/436_536.shtml

Last edited:

ASTRO_Man

Premium Subscriber
Did you update the firmware in the new Whistler WS1040? Very important and could very well solve your immediate problem, if the PRO-106 was working well for you.

There is a pretty big learning curve to master the BCD436HP, however to begin using it all you have to do is enter your zip code, the radius (in miles) you want to monitor from that zip code, and pick'n'chose the type of services you want to monitor, ie; PD, FD, EMS, etc. That's it! After you get acquainted you can build what's called 'Favorites Lists' from there. It does have a multi-function physical volume knob like your PRO-106, that doubles as the squelch control. But there are an abundance of additional functions/features over the PRO-106 that will require time to learn, but it's worth it.

If you can return the WS1040, I'd do it, and buy the BCD4365HP. The WS1040 will soon become obsolete. The 436 should serve you well. If a PRO-106 worked in your situation, the 436 will work better. Later, if you feel you need it, you can always upgrade to the SDS-100. I recently purchased both the 436 and the 536, so I put my money where my mouth is.

You might want to looks this over, but don't let it intimidate you. Get acquainted with it.

Thanks for your reply. I’ve upgraded the WS1040 to no avail. It’s too bad the guts are different than the 106. If the SDS100 isn’t too far away I may as well wait around for it, but I can get a new 436 for $350 at the moment. Decisions, decisions...

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your reply. I’ve upgraded the WS1040 to no avail. It’s too bad the guts are different than the 106. If the SDS100 isn’t too far away I may as well wait around for it, but I can get a new 436 for $350 at the moment. Decisions, decisions...

$350 is an awesome price for the 436!

Status
Not open for further replies.