Scanner Stack Power Soution

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,
I have a scanner stack currently with a Uniden BCT15X, a Uniden BCD996T, and a Uniden BCD536HP. I plan on adding a Uniden BC355c at some point in the near future. I’m looking for an alternative AC power solution for having to plug in each scanner individually. Is there such a wall plug that has 4 pig tails?

phask

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,
I have a scanner stack currently with a Uniden BCT15X, a Uniden BCD996T, and a Uniden BCD536HP. I plan on adding a Uniden BC355c at some point in the near future. I’m looking for an alternative AC power solution for having to plug in each scanner individually. Is there such a wall plug that has 4 pig tails?

Why not a 12V supply and DIY power plugs? I used to do that when I had a couple mobile 2meter and other rigs, ran all the scanners off the same supply.

- I'm guessing all those are 12V -

JamesO

Get a gel cell battery and use a 12 Volt power supply that "floats" across the battery and keeps it charged, then you have uninterrupted scanning during a power outage.

You can use the 3 pin power connectors that came with the mobile scanners if you still have them. They should also already be fused as well for added protection.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
They make these for el cheapo surveillance camera systems, and I use them to power several LED signs with one power transformer. They come in various configurations - 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 plugs, etc. And they're cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Female-Male-Power-Splitter-Cable/dp/B004EAMFDC

That might work but one has to consider the current load. I know scanners don't need much, but I would not try to split the power from the factory wall wart four ways. The wart is enough for one radio. The other power supplies suggested will work, 12Amps is more than needed for scanners. Look at other posts of shack pictures, some people power 8 or 10 scanners off one 20 amp power supply.

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
That might work but one has to consider the current load. I know scanners don't need much, but I would not try to split the power from the factory wall wart four ways. The wart is enough for one radio. The other power supplies suggested will work, 12Amps is more than needed for scanners. Look at other posts of shack pictures, some people power 8 or 10 scanners off one 20 amp power supply.

Call me foolish, but I assumed from his possession of an amateur license that he's probably sophisticated enough to use an appropriate power supply and verify polarity, etc.

cmdrwill

Call me foolish, but I assumed from his possession of an amateur license that he's probably sophisticated enough to use an appropriate power supply and verify polarity, etc.

But none of that was on the amateur license test.....

737mech

Premium Subscriber
License

I don't call anyone here foolish, Just putting my 2 cent opinion on the post. Your logic is sound, having a License one should know some things, but then again everybody out there driving a car also has a license and still accidents happen?

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
They make these for el cheapo surveillance camera systems, and I use them to power several LED signs with one power transformer. They come in various configurations - 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 plugs, etc. And they're cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Female-Male-Power-Splitter-Cable/dp/B004EAMFDC

I like this idea! I will use a DC power supply if I absolutely have to, but I don’t really wasn’t to add anymore equipment right now. I may look into in the not so distant future though, I also like the idea of the gel battery for power back up.
From what I’ve read, these scanner draw (750mA Regulated). I have also read that people who are measuring theirs are getting around 240-280mA. I know volume, back light, etc will pull more. If 750mA is the case, for four scanners, a wall wart with an output of 5amps should be good right?

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
5 amps should be plenty, but you can always go a little bigger for more headroom and future expansion. I bought an 8A power supply from Amazon for $20 or so and it's been running 24/7 for the last 3 years.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I have one of these and love it. It's quiet and has never given me any trouble. I currently run my feed scanners off of it, but the 30-amp continuous rating gives me plenty of room for future expansion (which is planned).

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-003728

That's way overkill for the OP's needs, plus it cost $150.00!

The one I linked to in my post #6 is perfect @ 6 amps, and $45.00.
Pyramid PS-8 KX
https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamps/5366.html
5366.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.