Fox pac 100 fxr

Status
Not open for further replies.

jawserlyn

Premium Subscriber
Hello for those who see this. We do this for FUN!

I have owned many brands and models of scanners in my day, including the Fox BMP 10/60. But here just a few weeks ago, I found a Fox PAC 100 FXR with a Fox PAC 20 module plugged into the front of it. This unit has the same case as the 10/60 with only 6 buttons and the same volume and squelch knobs as the 10/60. No manual or documentation came with it and all the usual locations we all look in for this kind of information would appear this unit just did not exist.

What I hope to do is stir anyone's memory as to the way to program the frequencies as it has 2 banks, (A and B) with a total of 20 conventional frequency place holders. Believe it or not only one of the 20 channels programed just happen to be a good one for me, so I know the unit works. I just wanted to program up as many as I can.

It would appear the Fox PAC 20 module is where the program information is stored and I have spent plenty of time attempting to figure out if the unit itself can store or overwrite a new frequency to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

"And We Thank You For Your Support"

JAWS

LesWurk

Have a Fox bmp10/60 and a Fox Pac Programmer which is in the same case as the 10/60. Would love to find some info on the programmer, looks like it would hook up to a computer and has a slot on the front. Has full keypad with read, store, and print keys in addition to 1 through 10 keys with bank enter step etc. Identical key pad to the 10/60 but different functions labeled.

jawserlyn

Premium Subscriber
Fox PAC 100 FXR

LesWurk, I apologize up front if I'm too forward here (just a little excited) but...

You just answered my question, a Fox PAC Programmer! I know a person does not really need that programmer for the 10/60 as has it has all you need to program and save frequencies into your 10/60, however this programmer is just what I would need to program the FOX PAC 20 module I have. I have never seen one or even knew it existed, but would be very interested in it's borrowed use and/or purchase if you are even the least bit interested. I'll understand if you're a bit hesitant.

Thanks for the consideration.

JAWS

LesWurk

Been a bit of a scanner collector (75 + pieces) and this is the most rare one of all. Never found any info on it, posted on RR once with no answer about its function. Did too many ham swaps picking stuff up. Not sure about parting with it. Never tried to power it no info how to work it. Didn't take the 10/60 apart to look for module. Presume this programs the locked preset channels, not the 10 open ones.

Attachments

• IMG_1651.jpg
    IMG_1651.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_1652.jpg
    IMG_1652.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 303

jawserlyn

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the pics, Perfect! I have had one of the 10/60 open years back and did not see anything that resembles this module, but then again I was not looking for anything like this back then. Here is the unit I have and it would appear this module would go in your programmer. I'll send you a PM and maybe we can work something out.

Thanks for sharing

JAWS

Attachments

• 20180527_181140.jpg
    20180527_181140.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 274
  • 20180527_182720.jpg
    20180527_182720.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 275

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
Here is an article from Monitoring Times about the Fox-Pac 100. There is another article in Popular Communications from November 1982 but it does not add any useful info.

The Fox Pac modules came in 20, 50 and 100 channel versions. As you noted, the device Les has is the programmer for the Pac modules. Without that the Fox-Pac 100 radio is essentially useless because it cannot be programmed.

Attachments

• Fox-Pac 100 Mon Times.jpg
    Fox-Pac 100 Mon Times.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 280

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
One other thing - Fox often placed a label on the bottom of their units that was a short form how-to-use guide. Does the Pac Programmer have any instructions on the bottom?

LesWurk

One other thing - Fox often placed a label on the bottom of their units that was a short form how-to-use guide. Does the Pac Programmer have any instructions on the bottom?

no instructions just tag saying to turn it off when not in use. Any idea on the rear connector?
From the info provided it has nothing to do with the 10/60 other than look similar?

Attachments

• IMG_1656.jpg
    IMG_1656.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 257

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
The programmer has nothing to do with the 10/60. You and JAWS each have one half of a working system. The programmer was probably not intended to be in the hands of customers. The Popular Communications article from November 1982 mentions that Fox dealers would be able to program Fox-Pac cartridges so they had programmers.

The blue connector almost looks like a parallel printer cable interface, but does not have the right number of pins. At any rate the programmer keypad has a print key and the only way to send data to a printer is via that blue connector. Whether it connects through a PC or directly to a printer of some sort isn't clear.

Attachments

• Fox-Pac 100.pdf
    88.1 KB · Views: 55

jawserlyn

Premium Subscriber
Knowing electronics from the 80's I have to agree with pro92b on the blue connector being some kind of printer port...

Back to my original thoughts. LesWurk, I do not have permissions just yet to PM but want to present my FOX PAC 100 FXR including the module "in the spirit of sharing and cooperation" to you as a extremely FUN opportunity to experiment and program up the module and share your results. As stated by pro92b, my unit is worthless without your programmer. Not so sure I want to give my unit up permanently just yet but, anything is possible. I have too may scanners now, (not that anyone can have too many, LOL) and they sit in boxes doing nothing most of the time. This would be a FUN opportunity for me to see it put together the way they were designed.

Again, thanks for the consideration and thanks to all whom had input. Hope to see more on this.

JAWS

LesWurk

Knowing electronics from the 80's I have to agree with pro92b on the blue connector being some kind of printer port...

Back to my original thoughts. LesWurk, I do not have permissions just yet to PM but want to present my FOX PAC 100 FXR including the module "in the spirit of sharing and cooperation" to you as a extremely FUN opportunity to experiment and program up the module and share your results. As stated by pro92b, my unit is worthless without your programmer. Not so sure I want to give my unit up permanently just yet but, anything is possible. I have too may scanners now, (not that anyone can have too many, LOL) and they sit in boxes doing nothing most of the time. This would be a FUN opportunity for me to see it put together the way they were designed.

Again, thanks for the consideration and thanks to all whom had input. Hope to see more on this.

JAWS

guess you can not receive PM's either

email me if you wish leswurk@execulink.com

looks like unit won't be of much use to me

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
LesWurk, could you post a higher resolution photo of the programmer keypad?

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the photo. Some mysteries remain - like what is the REMOTE function for?

jawserlyn

Premium Subscriber
Well, I got the programmer today (Thanks Much "LesWurk") and as you can imagine, I went straight to work. It turns on and I can read what is on my Fox 20 module but found out rather quickly the "Enter" "7" "8" "9" keys do not work. This is one of those very thin membrane keyboard almost identical to the Regency radio and scanners with the slope front face for direct entry of the same vintage. They were the weak point in those radios as well. I attempted to check the connector to the board, clean it up and re-seat it but to no avail. My next step will be to find one of my 10/60's that have the same keyboard configuration minus the correct labeling and try again.

That's all for now, be back when I know more.

JAWS

jawserlyn

Premium Subscriber
Fox PAC Programmer

Back again, but cannot find my 10/60's (too many boxes) so I decided to unfold the keyboard and check it out. I cannot find any breaks but it's very hard to see them. I reversed the keyboard contacts into simple pin to pin combinations and now can duplicate every key stroke the keyboard had including the "Enter" key along with the others that did not work before.

Only one problem... Now that I can accomplish all the keyboard functions, I'm no further today than when I first got the unit. I have attempted multiple combinations of key strokes to enter and store a frequency, only to get stuck when executing the "Enter" or "Store" keys. Each time they are pressed all functions stop. No other key function will work after that point. The only thing I can do is cycle the power and start over. I can still read what's on my module so at least I have not lost any functions.

I wrote Gerry over at G & G who has repaired most any scanner known to man for years and he did not even know this combination existed. So... I will be looking for any documentation on the Fox PAC Programmer that might get me a new combination to try.

In the meantime anyone that has an idea of the combination of key stokes based on the pictures earlier in the post, drop a line.

Thanks JAWS

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
The pdf I attached above is a product announcement for the Fox PAC published in Popular Communications and authored by Richard Barnett. He is the founder of Scanner Master and also maintains a scanner museum. Try contacting him via the Scanner Master website or by their 800 phone number. Maybe Scanner Master was a Fox dealer back in the day and they might be able to help you.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Norm Schrein aka MrScanner used to work for Fox. He might be able to help.

Sorry but I don't have any contact info for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.