Marine VHF home antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
I am considering buying a marine vhf antenna which would typically be mounted on a boat to the roof my home. I primarily listen to marine vhf and fire dept vhf 154-158 mhz. I read that the large whip antenna's have a 6db gain @ 156.8 mhz. Will i receive the results I am looking for ? Has anyone had this setup at there home ?

prcguy

Most marine band antennas will work fine for your range of frequencies but the advertised gain of most marine antennas is very exaggerated. For example it takes about 21ft of antenna at VHF to achieve 6dBd of gain and there is no magic way around that.

Most 3-4ft versions are about 0dBd gain at best and some 8ft versions might be around 3dBd gain. I was just playing with a 3ft Shakespeare 5215 whip the other day and was surprised that it had a decent match from about 152 to 162Mhz and made an ok general purpose VHF antenna.

I am considering buying a marine vhf antenna which would typically be mounted on a boat to the roof my home. I primarily listen to marine vhf and fire dept vhf 154-158 mhz. I read that the large whip antenna's have a 6db gain @ 156.8 mhz. Will i receive the results I am looking for ? Has anyone had this setup at there home ?

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
Most marine band antennas will work fine for your range of frequencies but the advertised gain of most marine antennas is very exaggerated. For example it takes about 21ft of antenna at VHF to achieve 6dBd of gain and there is no magic way around that.

Most 3-4ft versions are about 0dBd gain at best and some 8ft versions might be around 3dBd gain. I was just playing with a 3ft Shakespeare 5215 whip the other day and was surprised that it had a decent match from about 152 to 162Mhz and made an ok general purpose VHF antenna.

Thank you for the information. Im still learning about antennas and the gain vs length ect. I have learned that the most expensive radio is useless without a good antenna.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Approximately how far will marine VHF signals travel inland from the water? I live about 15 Miles from Anchor Bay in Lake St. Clair, and about 30 Miles from the St. Clair River. If I mounted a decent marine antenna on my roof with a tripod and a 5' mast I'd be about 25' above ground level. There are no tall buildings in-between but there are miles of mature trees. Possible?

ipfd320

Banned
I Did Roughly 63 as the Crow flies miles--from Island Park Long Island to Barnegat Light NJ with an apelco marine Mobile radio--25 watts and at the Time was a 3 foot Fiberglass Whip Antenna---the Antenna was Mounted 26 ft from Ground Level--Run with 50 feet of rg-58 with no Problems or High SWR--Actually it was 1.2 to 1

I Dont Think You will have Any Problem---What can it Hurt if you Try--Good Luck

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I Did Roughly 63 as the Crow flies miles--from Island Park Long Island to Barnegat Light NJ with an apelco marine Mobile radio--25 watts and at the Time was a 3 foot Fiberglass Whip Antenna---the Antenna was Mounted 26 ft from Ground Level--Run with 50 feet of rg-58 with no Problems or High SWR--Actually it was 1.2 to 1

I Dont Think You will have Any Problem---What can it Hurt if you Try--Good Luck

Sounds good! I think I'll be able to get the USCG as well as the big freighters. I'm not real interested hearing all the drunks on their pleasure boats.

ocn29rsc

I have a 6db marine antenna set up at my house with 1/2" coax and on a mast about 30' up.

pretty good results...I have this antenna on a marine radio.

virtualking

I use 8' VHF Antennas For T-tops, radar arches, speedboats, yachts and commercial vessels. Wide band models for land and marine use.

P25Radio

Premium Subscriber
I have the 21ft antenna and this thing rocks. The 476 is huge. I use one for my repeater at the house and one for marines use on my tower.
Great antenna!!! Expensive but worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.