Win500: Win500 no longer working correctly Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
After a recent Windows 10 update the Win500 program is extremely sluggish, (RS Pro-197) if it works at all.

I tried downloading a fresh copy of Win500 to no avail. (The program was last updated in 2015)

I tried doing a compatibility thing in Windows but it tells me the program is not compatible.

I've been using Win500 since I bought the scanner and love the ease of the program.

Anyone else have this problem? I really hate to buy/learn a new program, especially since the RS Pro-197 may be obsolete someday no to far away.

Which of the other two programs, PSREdit500 - ARC500, is most like Win500?

Thanks for any help you folks can provide.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Win500

I have not used other software for my RS PRO 106, but I can say that ARC500 works as well in my Win 10 64 bit computers as in previous versions of Windows. I am using the original cable and have had no driver issues and the Virtual Control also works.

You can download it for a trial and see if it works.

budevans

After a recent Windows 10 update the Win500 program is extremely sluggish, (RS Pro-197) if it works at all.

I tried downloading a fresh copy of Win500 to no avail. (The program was last updated in 2015)

Which of the other two programs, PSREdit500 - ARC500, is most like Win500?

Thanks for any help you folks can provide.

Download a trial version of PSREdit500. It's layout and features are similar to WIN500.

FYI, I haven't had any issues with WIN500 and Win10. This month Win10 did two Cumulative Updates. The second was two days ago, May 27. Part of the update was a slow performance fix for Intel SSD's.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Windows 10 64 bit here too. Unsure the build/version but more than likely a recent one.

I stream M-F as I listen while I am at work. Rarely a hiccup, but an easy fix by logging in remotely and restarting.

Control and communication with several scanners using Win500 seems the same as always, not sluggish in any way.

Reach out to Don. He may have a solution.

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies. My system info is shown below. My Windows 10 is from early on in the Windows 10 offering when it was a free upgrade.

Everything was working fine the last time I used it a month or two ago. Now I can only do one task at a time then have to wait a few minutes for that to happen then do another because it freezes.

I guess I should look into the PSREdit500 program, but things are a bit tight right now.

Oh well, thanks again for the info/suggestions/help.

sys_infoa.jpg

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried using the reinstall feature of Windows 10? It does not erase your files (although you should do a back up first), and it re-installs a clean copy of Windows 10. You will have to reinstall any software. You will find the info in Settings, Update & Security.

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried using the reinstall feature of Windows 10? It does not erase your files (although you should do a back up first), and it re-installs a clean copy of Windows 10. You will have to reinstall any software. You will find the info in Settings, Update & Security.

Thanks, I've done that in the past with previous versions, XP, 7, but not with 10. I'll try one of the other programs when I can free up $30 before I get that extreme, Win500 is the only program not working right so far since the most recent 'forced' updates.

ETA I have so many programs that I no longer have the install files for, a fresh copy of Windows isn't the way i want to go right now.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
This is a long shot but it is worth checking.
The windows 10 2018 spring Creators Update turned off a certain microphone sound card setting.

Do the following to fix this :
1. Click on the Windows (Start) icon in the lower left corner of the screen.

2. Click the Settings icon (the gear icon).

3. Click 'Privacy'.

4. Click microphone.

5. Switch on the 'Allow apps to access your microphone' setting.

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
This is a long shot but it is worth checking.

~snip~.

Thanks, no good.

What happens when I click in the Win500 icon ...

first a tiny "loading" box appears for a few seconds.

Then the program interface appears, but empty, then after a couple seconds the info from top to bottom starts to load one line at a time, best way to describe it is as if someone was pulling a window shade down, then it freezes for a couple minutes then I can click on one thing, freezes, then another freezes, etc etc etc.

budevans

Thanks, no good.

What happens when I click in the Win500 icon ...

first a tiny "loading" box appears for a few seconds.

Then the program interface appears, but empty, then after a couple seconds the info from top to bottom starts to load one line at a time, best way to describe it is as if someone was pulling a window shade down, then it freezes for a couple minutes then I can click on one thing, freezes, then another freezes, etc etc etc.

The above sounds like a PC issue. From what you described I would check Disk Management for a Hard Drive issue.

Do you know how to use ThisPC to lookup the Log Files and Disk Manager? If not, I can send you a PM with the steps.

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
The above sounds like a PC issue. From what you described I would check Disk Management for a Hard Drive issue.

Do you know how to use ThisPC to lookup the Log Files and Disk Manager? If not, I can send you a PM with the steps.

Yea I thought that at first, many moons ago I had a PC with the window shade thing, I forget how to access the info you're asking about.

The odd thing though, no other program is behaving this way.

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber

This what you're asking about? Everything's coming up as healthy.

Image2.jpg

budevans

You might also look at the Event Viewer. Check the Application and System logs for errors.

There's a whole laundry list of things to check. There are diagnostic tools online that you can download and try.

But, this isn't the forum for that. If all else fails, I still recommend that you give PSREdit 500 a try.

FYI: I've seen Disk Management show drives as Healthy, when other diagnostic tools showed the drive with corrupt or failed sectors.

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
I'm at a loss, I sent an email to StarSoft, no reply as of yet, and Win500 is my only "old" program behaving in this manner. I'm going to have to free some time/$$ and try to learn another program. So much easier than trying to program on the scanner itself.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
Tried loading a copy of the Win500 program onto my laptop, same info as above except the laptop is Windows 10 Pro, same build, etc.

Program started out somewhat ok, was able to register my name etc. Downloaded the info from the scanner into the interface, but then it started freezing just like my PC version.

Still no word from Don at StarSoft. Guess Win500 is toast for me. Onto PSREdit 500 tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.