Central Georgia Scanner Recomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxxJay

I am interested in getting a scanner as part of emergency preparedness. I live close to Macon/Bibb and Houston/Peach counties. I am asking for recommendations on which scanner will give the best listening experience in this area. I understand with P25 phase 2 my choices are limited. I would like to hear what scanners people in the area use and how they like their choice. Major interests would be police/fire and ham frequencies. Thanks!

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
You might get better information if you put this in the Georgia forum,

MaxxJay

This was originally posted in the New User / Getting Started Forum. Another member suggested posting here for a quicker response, so here goes.

I am interested in getting a scanner as part of emergency preparedness. I live close to Macon/Bibb and Houston/Peach counties. I am asking for recommendations on which scanner will give the best listening experience in this area. I understand with P25 phase 2 my choices are limited. I would like to hear what scanners people in the area use and how they like their choice. Major interests would be police/fire and ham frequencies. Thanks!

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Threads merged and moved to the Georgia forum.

We frown on posting the same topic to multiple forums. It makes it hard for others to know which thread to use for answers. Next time if you feel the need to have your thread moved, click on the triangle in the upper right of your post and a Moderator will move your thread for you.

I'm sure you'll get the correct answers you need in the Georgia forum. Good luck!

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
On to the question...

You'll need a scanner capable of receiving digital trunked systems. Macon-Bibb and Houston are on different, digital 800MHz trunking systems.

That said, you'll have to pick Uniden or Whistler brand. I've owned a lot of both brands and know the Uniden BCD436HP or BCD536HP will work for you. Also, the Whistler TRX-1 or TRX-2 will work. It's your preference on scanner form factor, programming software, features, cost, etc.

You can find used Whistler and Uniden scanners, with different model numbers, that will do the same thing. They're just older, but they still work. I have had a few of those, too.

A third option is Software Defined Radio (SDR). Like Uniden and Whistler, there's a huge forum on RR that gets in what it can do, etc. Cheapest option going, unless you get handed a free scanner. Like $20 cheap, but you need a laptop/desktop computer to pair to it.

The fourth option is a Unication pager/scanner. I love my model 5 and it works better than anything readily available (today). It's more like a public safety radio but does best in simulcast situations.

For me, I like the Whistler scanners best and own the TRX-2. It's my main scanner in the car and on vacations. Otherwise, you won't go wrong with the Uniden BCDs. Both companies are hinting at a new model this year (Uniden's nearly released; Whistler's is a Christmas present).

Last edited:

KG4BKO

Premium Subscriber
Two good choices are also the BCD996P2 mobile/base and the BCD325P2 portable. They work well on Phase 1 and 2 trunk systems and are less expensive than the top tier Unidens. However they dont use the zip code method of programming.

MaxxJay

Even better info if you post where/what you want to monitor. Lots of different digital sites in Central GA. Common new poster mistake. :)
Larry

I thought I did, but I will again. I live in an area that I should be able to scan Macon (the city)/Bibb (the county) and Houston/Peach. My major interests are police/fire and ham frequencies. I know Houston and Peach are on a joint radio system using P25 phase 2. From my reading P25 can be challenging for scanners, especially “simulcast”. I’m not sure what simulcast means in this context or if Houston/Peach use it. I thought I would post to see what people who scan these systems use and how well they like their choice of scanner. Thanks!

MaxxJay

On to the question...

You'll need a scanner capable of receiving digital trunked systems. Macon-Bibb and Houston are on different, digital 800MHz trunking systems.

That said, you'll have to pick Uniden or Whistler brand. I've owned a lot of both brands and know the Uniden BCD436HP or BCD536HP will work for you. Also, the Whistler TRX-1 or TRX-2 will work. It's your preference on scanner form factor, programming software, features, cost, etc.

You can find used Whistler and Uniden scanners, with different model numbers, that will do the same thing. They're just older, but they still work. I have had a few of those, too.

A third option is Software Defined Radio (SDR). Like Uniden and Whistler, there's a huge forum on RR that gets in what it can do, etc. Cheapest option going, unless you get handed a free scanner. Like $20 cheap, but you need a laptop/desktop computer to pair to it.

The fourth option is a Unication pager/scanner. I love my model 5 and it works better than anything readily available (today). It's more like a public safety radio but does best in simulcast situations.

For me, I like the Whistler scanners best and own the TRX-2. It's my main scanner in the car and on vacations. Otherwise, you won't go wrong with the Uniden BCDs. Both companies are hinting at a new model this year (Uniden's nearly released; Whistler's is a Christmas present).

Thank you. I was looking hard at the Uniden BCD436 and 536 units. I will check out the TRX-2 now as well. If I could ask, what about the TRX-2 do you prefer vs. your Uniden experience?

I have an SDR dongle for my laptop and that is really what got me started! I am looking for a more convenient mobile solution. I sometimes drive 2 hrs or more through the state for work. I also recently purchased an inexpensive ham radio handheld to see what it is about. I will be going for my Technician license when the new question pool hits.

twotoejoe

I've owned my Uniden 536 for about 5 months now and love it. If there are DMR or NXDN stations in your area be sure to purchase those upgrades. Also if you travel there is a GPS unit that is very helpful to pull it stations as you go. These units take time to learn to program, but with the Sentinel software for the 536 you can customize it without getting too technical very quickly. You also have the option of just entering your zip code. This is a great way just to get started.

N8IAA

I thought I did, but I will again. I live in an area that I should be able to scan Macon (the city)/Bibb (the county) and Houston/Peach. My major interests are police/fire and ham frequencies. I know Houston and Peach are on a joint radio system using P25 phase 2. From my reading P25 can be challenging for scanners, especially “simulcast”. I’m not sure what simulcast means in this context or if Houston/Peach use it. I thought I would post to see what people who scan these systems use and how well they like their choice of scanner. Thanks!

My bad, these old eyes missed that in your original post:( Both systems you speak of are Phase II, P-25, but, are using Phase I TGID's. Saying that, they may change to Phase II at any time.

I have never owned a x36HP scanner. My experience is with GRE and Whistler scanners for Phasse II. I own a PSR-800 and a WS-1088. The TRX series came out just a while back and are being replaced by the TRX100 later this year.

My 1088 receives DMR quite nicely, and without paying for an upgrade. The TRX1/2 come with DMR and NXDN included. You must pay to get DMR and NXDN in the x36HP.

The only Uniden scanner I would recommend is the 996P2. I have a friend in the Troup county area that has one, and it works quite well on Phase I/II and DMR. Too many problems with the x36HP scanners. There are plenty of threads to that fact. Too many extras that were promised back in 2014 that have never come to fruition.

Do a little more research before buying a new scanner. Right now, you can use an older Phase I scanner to monitor your area. Do due diligence and you won't be sorry.

HTH,
Larry

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The only Uniden scanner I would recommend is the 996P2. I have a friend in the Troup county area that has one, and it works quite well on Phase I/II and DMR. Too many problems with the x36HP scanners. There are plenty of threads to that fact.

And if you read those threads, you'll discover that the issues with the x36 scanners were resolved in new units years ago, and if you have an older unit that has the clock or display issues, Uniden is still fixing them for free, even paying shipping in both directions. I've been a x36 user since 2014.

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
"Thank you. I was looking hard at the Uniden BCD436 and 536 units. I will check out the TRX-2 now as well. If I could ask, what about the TRX-2 do you prefer vs. your Uniden experience?"

My reply: I grew up on RadioShack and GRE scanners, as I could get them locally. I've tried several Uniden scanners, including the mobile and handheld versions of the -436 series. For me, I understand and can work easily with the Whistler (old GRE) software and programming philosophy (vs. Uniden Quick Keys and Favorite Lists).

Just my opinion, YMMV.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
And if you read those threads, you'll discover that the issues with the x36 scanners were resolved in new units years ago, and if you have an older unit that has the clock or display issues, Uniden is still fixing them for free, even paying shipping in both directions. I've been a x36 user since 2014.

I own an HP-1, HP-2 (extreme) and a 436 w/DMR. My 436 has a 2014 serial number, Zero problems since I've had them.

Just checked: My HP-2 is also 2014.

Last edited:

N8IAA

Why buy something that you want to use out of the box, then send it in to be repaired?? Makes no sense jon. Isn't that counter intuitive?

I've been using RS and GRE scanners a lot longer than any Unidens' I've owned. In fact I sold my last and only Uniden SD card scanner last year. It sat unused for over six month.

I'll take my 800 and 1088 over anything that Uniden has made in the last four years. But, that's just my opinion after almost fifty years of scanning.

Larry

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Why buy something that you want to use out of the box, then send it in to be repaired?? Makes no sense jon. Isn't that counter intuitive?

Only your unfounded assumptions.

Units manufactured since late 2015 do not have the hardware bugs. So unless you buy a used unit that the previous owner never sent in for the free repair, or find a retailer that had a box sitting on a back shelf they forgot about for years, you don't need to send it in. If you buy from Amazon or a retailer that sells scanners regularly, you have no worries.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber

Larry

If that was the case, it might mean something but buying a 2014 Uniden still in the box is next to impossible. The problem was corrected at their expense and it hasn't been a problem since.

In reality, it probably wasn't a problem for most users. The scanner still worked fine as a scanner and that's what most people wanted. The date didn't really matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.