Need Mototrbo programming help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgoodson

Feed Provider
I am using my Uniden 325P2 with DMR upgrade attempting to monitor a local DMR Tier 3 system. I live within line of sight of the transmitter so signal strength is not an issue.

There are only three frequencies, the system is https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=9138 . There are no LCNs listed in the database, so I have used 1, 2, 3 for the frequencies in the order listed. I get a solid lock on the control channel.

What I hear are partial convesations. For example, I can "hold" on the Ops 2 talkgroup and I might hear a mobile unit say "Go ahead" as if he was called by dispatch, though I never heard dispatch. Then after the "Go ahead' I usually hear nothing else, though presumably there is an interactive conversation back and forth between the unit and dispatch.

I do not understand the nuances of DMR, but have fiddled around with the LCN order etc, and am having no luck at all on really hearing the system.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I would suggest you request this be moved to the Uniden forums... you'll likely get better/more specific help. Click on the little triangle with the ! in it above your join date and you can request it to me moved.

Now for your question... Do you know if this is a Capacity + or Capacity Max system? I know I had issues with my 325P2 following Capacity Max systems as they usually have RAS enabled by default (which is to keep rogue radios out of the system). So that's one option... It's also possible there is another frequency in play and it hasn't been added to the database. This is where DSD+ is so handy... you can park on the control channel for a few minutes and clearly see how many channels are being used (not to mention the LCNs).

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
In DMR there are 2 LCNs per frequency. Unsure how that specific system is setup though. TT

N1GTL

Database Admin
I'll (probably regrettably) throw my two cents in here.

I work for a MOTO shop and have installed more than two dozen IPSC, CP and LCP systems. I know them in and out. When in use with Motorola equipment, they all work great. Being that I engineered the systems, I know, with certainty, the "LCN" order (as Uniden calls it). Now, let's move to scanners. I have a BCD436HP with the TRBO enhancement. I also have my own personal XPR5550 and XPR7550e radios. I have programmed all three for a specific system that is well within my range and that I have designed. My Mototrbo radios both work flawlessly with this system installed. My BCD436HP, not so much. I certainly know the order of the repeaters (4 per site), I know the frequencies obviously. This system uses both ARS and a RAS key. Without fail, my XPR radios will receive the talk groups perfectly. The 436 misses a great number of calls. I initially tried to figure out why but gave up. I worked in software engineering for a number of years and was constantly told things worked only to find out I was the test subject. I contribute all I can about these types of systems to the forums and will gladly help anyone setting up a IPSC, CP or LCP system. But I have way to much going on in my life to be a beta tester. This may sound selfish to the scanner community but these are complex systems that they are trying to access. Without a user knowing all the specifics WITH CERTAINTY, it is not going to work right.

Ubbe

Tier 3 trunked systems uses a bandplan with a start frequency and step sizes. I doubt the system uses 3 channels next to each other. You could use DSD+ to see the actual channel numbers and then convert to Uniden LCN numbers.

/Ubbe

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Here is a good site to use as an example of the differences between LCN and LSN.
Study this and it may help you to be able to translate between Motorola DMR programming and Uniden scanner programming.
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=18923
Unfortunately i dont have my programming laptop with me to open up my XPR7550 and compare in detail what the differences are between it and the Uniden programming but i believe you will figure it out.

In any system the hardest part is getting the order down. Since your working for a two way shop you already have that info.

Status
Not open for further replies.