Donations will now be subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Folks,

After careful consideration of the comments and feedback related to the donation increase scheduled for June 1st, 2006, I've decided to retract the previously announced changes and implement the following:

Effective July 1st, 2006, RadioReference.com's Value Added Services Donation Model will move to a subscription model, where:

* The cost will be $7.50/for every 90 days (Total Cost 30.00/per year)
* Users who have previously donated money will be granted a 110% credit towards their subscription

This rewards the members of the site who have previously donated money, and better reflects what the previous "donation" mode has been, a subscription.

Please note that access to information in the radioreference.com database and ability to use the forums will always remain free. This policy will NEVER change.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to contribute their thoughts, and careful consideration has led me to this model.

Thanks for your support.

Lindsay

PS: to reduce the risk of confusion, I've deleted the previous thread announcing the donation limit changes.

electricsheep

I responded to the previous now deleted thread about five minutes before this one replaced it... (we have always been at war with new Eurasia...)

Will there be any indication that a user has previously been a "donating" cash supporter of the site when this model comes into place? As it stood in the previous model (and I am unsure in this model), once you were passed by the amount you could donate, there was no indication that you had ever supported the site.

Bentley

ummmmmm....isnt that worse?

So, for example....
If I decide to be a "subscriber" for lets say for 5 years...it will cost me $150.00 over the next five years??? Geeee that hardly seems right.

<<DAZED AND CONFUSED>>>

&quot;And a bargain at half the price&quot;

$30 a year is fine with me............

I am a little confused..... do I pay it on July 1st or what???

I don't do well with money.........

Mic.

Denton

Wow. I'm new here but in my opinion this subscription model is even worse and may even reduce the total amount of "donations" you receive. I'm guessing that a lot of people donated $5-$10 just to help support the site. These people may stop donating now that the donation system has become a subscription service.

I'm part of several different types of communities where we all provide help for free. It's great that you're keeping the information in the database and wiki free but $30/year is very expensive and can't be justified by citing server costs alone. I have no problem with people making a business out of a web service and I'm glad it's now being called a subscription service instead of voluntary donations, but I think you might want to reconsider the amount you're charging.

Last edited:

kd4bas

Monitoring, Hanging Out, & --mn-@v@-mn-- you.
Premium Subscriber
Just a quick question, Where do I go to see what I have donated so far and when will I need to kick in the rest to keep "up to date" for the year :confused:

I’m sort of like Denton when he mentions that this might attract less people and support, but I know how opinions are ….

Are there any other information other that the website that we might get, I know there was a mention of a CD with the information as well.

Forgive me, I have been up for 27 hours and have had a rough shift so I’m not thinking too clearly right now.

Radio1114

Well thats a bummer, after all the comments etc.And your decicion Lydsay to have it raised to $15.00 I payed the extra $10.00 with PayPal now you are telling me it is $30.00 instead of the $15.00 This is getting out of hand now.If I had of known I would of held off Putting the extra $10.00 in the account.I don,t think it is fair to change it mid streamm,but then again it is your site Lyndsay,Good Luck and Thank You

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I will develop the subscription model to support the subscription. It will be in your profile.

Joesph11: Frankly, you have no business questioning the approach with a smart ass comment such as the one you posted. Unless this issue impacts you, which it doesn't judging by the amount you have contributed to support this site ($0.00) - then you should move along and continue to participate as normal, just not in this thread.

Amusement: Great, then you'll have a little more than 1 year of "subscription" left since you've donated $30.00. Sorry to see you go, and thanks for your previous support.

PS: Database Admins will receive complimentary subscriptions of course.

durango5550

Booger D.
helll if we can spend 500.00 on a SCANNER what is 30.00 a year...........

:)

sign me up

Dan

amusement

I am humbly request a refund of my donation(s) to Radio Reference.

Regards

Radio1114

I don,t really think I was wronged Lydsay,The site is worth it.But I just find it hard to grasp one time it is this amount then the next time it is another amount.I just want to know for sure what it will be then I can decide if I feel it worth my money or not.You run a great site Lyndsay.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
This looks like a good arrangement. I would just make a couple of suggestions:
1. Only subscribers should be shown as members.
2. Elliminate showing the number of posts a person has made. I see some people are making comments on every subject just to run their number up. Sadly, some of the worst information is put out by these people.
3. I have found you usually get what you pay for, and at thirty dollars per year it is good value both from supporting the site and getting the additional benefits for members only.
4. The $7.50 per quarter will also permit someone that buys a new scanner to make a small donation and have 3 months to download information.
5. If someone is unhappy, then remember, Delta is ready when you are.

Gill

Joseph11

Lindsay: Even thought I haven't donated any money, I have donated to the RR Database by submitting talkgroups and frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.