Canadian Tire CB antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonbounce

So I have multiple antennas, none of them worth spit. I think the problem was that I always had to put a new adapter on the end that went into the dongle. I got looking around for a cheap replacement. My main objective was to get an antenna that I didn't have to modify either end so they would be factory made.

The other day I was in Canadian Tire and bought a CB antenna. Instead of using the antenna radial that it came with, I stuck an old cell phone antenna on it, the ones that are about 12 inches long and have the curly que near the bottom. I put the magnetic base on my metal heater baseboard and tested it for reception with SDRSharp. I have to say the signals it was pulling in were nothing short of fantastic compared to what I was used to. The airband, excellent reception as with VHF LO and Vhf HI, I can't believe how good the reception is, mind you I do live on the 9th floor of a highrise. Next I am going to stick the antenna base outside on my airconditioner sleeve and see how that works.

As I use the antenna with an RTL-SDR v3 dongle, I put a 3ft usb cable between my dongle and my laptop, I believe it helps reduce interference.

MB

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
The other day I was in Canadian Tire and bought a CB antenna. Instead of using the antenna radial that it came with, I stuck an old cell phone antenna on it, the ones that are about 12 inches long and have the curly que near the bottom. I put the magnetic base on my metal heater baseboard and tested it for reception with SDRSharp. I have to say the signals it was pulling in were nothing short of fantastic compared to what I was used to.

I'm having trouble visualizing this :) .. Any chance of a photo?

moonbounce

I'm having trouble visualizing this :) .. Any chance of a photo?

What do you want a photo of, the 4 inch magnetic base with the 9 ft cable extension from the side of the base to the connector at the other end, or perhaps the screw on the top of the base allowing you to add an antenna of your own choice lol.

MB

Status
Not open for further replies.