• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

VHF XTS5000’s on eBay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will001

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys, I have a kinda random question. What is with all of the XTS5000 Model 1’s that are on eBay? 99% of them have the same flashcode (180001-001002-5), and a lot of them have engravings for some federal organizations. I bought one almost a year ago in June of 2017, and when I received it, it had an engraving that reads “TSA/RH056 03ADM”. I’m assuming the “TSA” engraving is for the Transportation Security Administration, and the letters and numbers aren’t the serial number or anything, so I guess it’s just so they could keep track of all the radio’s. What are there so many of these types of radios suddenly for sale (since last year)? Did the fed’s dump all their old radios on the surplus market?

PS: When I got my radio, it was programmed with TSA frequencies, and STILL had the secure keys in it. It is also an “A” model, meaning that it’s pretty old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Hey guys, I have a kinda random question. What is with all of the XTS5000 Model 1’s that are on eBay? 99% of them have the same flashcode (180001-001002-5), and a lot of them have engravings for some federal organizations. I bought one almost a year ago in June of 2017, and when I received it, it had an engraving that reads “TSA/RH056 03ADM”. I’m assuming the “TSA” engraving is for the Transportation Security Administration, and the letters and numbers aren’t the serial number or anything, so I guess it’s just so they could keep track of all the radio’s. What are there so many of these types of radios suddenly for sale (since last year)? Did the fed’s dump all their old radios on the surplus market?

PS: When I got my radio, it was programmed with TSA frequencies, and STILL had the secure keys in it. It is also an “A” model, meaning that it’s pretty old.

Surplus radios as they bought new radios. Usually what happens when an organization purchases new radio the old radios are collected and then auctioned off as a lot on sites like govdeals. The winning bidder then will usually sell the radios on ebay or in facebook groups.

ChrisE_STB

CA Database Admin
Database Admin
These are all ex TSA radios, they were surplus once the BK KNG150s were placed into service

Will001

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys, I’ve always wondered about that. I was worried I had bought a stolen radio, but now I’m relieved!

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
150s are crap they were sent back to BK in the first deployment

allend

Premium Subscriber
Alot of these radios are not just TSA either. They are Federal Radios that used encryption because these radios all AES-256 UCM boards in them. There are thousands of them out there for sale as they have flooded the market and are cheap but nobody really wants VHF. They are looking for UHF-1 radios

K2NEC

Yes I noticed that too. I bought one of these radio's and mine says TSA PM97. They are good radio's but A LOT of them popping up on ebay

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
Yes I noticed that too. I bought one of these radio's and mine says TSA PM97. They are good radio's but A LOT of them popping up on ebay

Yeah and I ended up with 35 model 3s...good to know the people who maintained them lol

Will001

Premium Subscriber
Every 5000 made was an AN. 2500’s were AN, & BN, but there never was a 5000 BN.

Oh ok...I really had no idea there was only an “A” model...I’m not too knowledgeable about that kind of stuff haha

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
76bbaefa1d59b96da1b9115b68ecc1f9.jpg

Will001

Premium Subscriber
I think my radio had that sticker on the back (property if TSA), but I think someone tried to take it off.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Surplus radios as they bought new radios. Usually what happens when an organization purchases new radio the old radios are collected and then auctioned off as a lot on sites like govdeals. The winning bidder then will usually sell the radios on ebay or in facebook groups.

Sounds logical, just like computers and lease refreshes.

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
But the BKs are crap..nice design but they still seem cheap

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
There are thousands of them out there for sale as they have flooded the market and are cheap but nobody really wants VHF. They are looking for UHF-1 radios

Not even for the 2 meter amateur radio? Or can't they be programmed for low?

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I could be wrong on this but the KGN-150 and KNG-150s are different units. The S is the cheaper economy unit.
A year ago when i was doing a bit of research while trying to by an 800 units i ran across some info about it but now i cant recall what it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.