on the glass antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
They work "OK".
Basically a half wave antenna, which doesn't require a ground plane, so it's going to exhibit 0dbd.
They are about 40 inches tall.
You cannot use them with many types of tinted glass, and you need to mount them away from defroster wires.
Then there's the $90.00 part.

I knew a guy a long time ago who had one on an older Mercedes sports car. It worked OK, and it was mainly because he didn't want to drill a hole. I get it.

But after a long time doing this stuff, I've learned that drilling a hole is the way to go.

I did use a UHF version on my wife's car back in the early 2000's. Not impressive, but it worked. I've never used one since, though.

KK2DOG

Premium Subscriber
I'm using a Tram (?) 2-meter thru-the-glass antenna on the back window of my 2008 Chevy Silverado and it works fine. I did place it between the defroster wires and I don't use the defroster anyway and the window is also tinted. The antenna claims to handle 50 watts but I generally run about 10 watts and have a simplex radius of about 5-10 miles. It hits repeaters up to about 25 miles away as well.

Mike KK2DOG

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
works fine

IMHO in the past, I used a few larsen kg/270, which is a halfwave for 2m, and longer for 70cm. Per my experience and that of my friends, works about like a 1/4 wave on 2m. Fine for the local repeaters, and handily outperformed an ht. Just keep the mounting point out of the defroster.

lmrtek

Larsen on glass antennas are the best and it can easily perform as well as a roof mounted 1\4 wave.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
They should work as well as a 1/4 wave. They would exhibit the same amount of gain:
A 1/4 wave would have 0db
A 1/2 wave glass mount with no ground plane will have 0db.

As for factory tinting, it depends on exactly what kind of tinting it is. Some vehicle manufacturers use metallic tint inside the glass, that can cause issues. The non-metallic tint -should- be OK.

Making sure the OP understands that the type of tinting is what's important.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
What is you guys take on on-the-glass antennas?

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-000526

I have two; one is a ham dual-band model and the other is a scanner antenna. They're mounted on the back windows of my Ford Escape.

The ham dual-band model has a small counterpoise about 6" long that is fitted to the antenna connector on the inside window unit and goes off at a right angle along the window. Provides a good counterpoise on UHF and decent on VHF. No such animal on the scanner antenna.

The ham antenna is similar to this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/144-148-44...528661?hash=item27daf9cd55:g:A54AAOxy4t1Si5qy

Both work just fine for what I need.

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
I'm in the same camp as N4KVE.

Most people I know (that I know) who have used these were never more than 10-15 miles away from their home repeater, and griped about it when they left the local area.

I just traded in about my 10th vehicle to have NMO plugs on it. They don't care. They've never asked me what they were.

RodStrong

Agree with others that on-glass antennas should generally be a last resort. That said, they have their place. Good luck.

12dbsinad

For that price you could buy a HS34 NMO hole saw, cable kit, connector, and a cheap 1/4 wave antenna and have something that works optimal, if not, a fender mounted no ground plane halfwave would still outperform a glass mount. Especially when trying to blow threw window tint.

Status
Not open for further replies.