SDS100 Simulcast Performance Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancow

Database Admin
Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow so I can't contribute yet but I thought we could have a thread with user reports of its performance with troublesome systems.

jasonhouk

Ohio MARCS:IP Columbus City, Columbus MARCS & Franklin County Simulcast can be checked off the list. No decode issues for a solid month with revised hardware and the latest firmware.

Houk

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
Ohio MARCS:IP Columbus City, Columbus MARCS & Franklin County Simulcast can be checked off the list. No decode issues for a solid month with revised hardware and the latest firmware.

Houk

Do we know what was revised ? & are firmware updates quick ?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
As can the Fort Worth Regional Radio System (at least in the areas I checked).

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
What was revised isn't really relevent. We sometimes did 2 or 3 updates a week during testing. Updates are just like BCD436HP (takes maybe 2 or 3 minutes, total).

mharris

Premium Subscriber

Houk

I only have a few hours use on the above listed systems, but I can confirm no simulcast issues so far. Also, COIRS seems to be void of any simulcast issues as well.

BigWonton

Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Should be able to compare it against the 436, 536 with a Yagi, Unication G4 and my department issued Motorola XTS 5000 on MARCS-IP in Cuyahoga county.

jasonhouk

I was receiving FW updates at least once weekly, sometimes daily during testing.

I'll be more clear with my Pilot Production Unit which is the same as production units minus minor tooling to the battery case.

Houk
Do we know what was revised ? & are firmware updates quick ?

wise871

Database Admin
I’m looking forward to other places besides MARCS-IP seeing it was done all through the beta testing. Can’t wait for results from Los Angels, Atlanta, Phoenix, San Diego, or any major system that hasn’t been reported yet. Plus I remember the Philly folks getting together and testing a few years back. Like to see what they think of the SDS100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

W2SJW

Database Admin
Hopefully mine will be here by the end of the week, and looking forward to testing on the Morris & Somerset County systems here in NJ. They are both P25 simulcast, and the Somerset one is a real doozy as a mixed 500/700 system with both Phase-I & Phase-II active at the same time.

My in-laws live in the center of the county and get bombed by no less than 3 tower sites. Got a niece's birthday coming up soon & can't wait to test (my 436 was useless at their house)!

jasonhouk

COIRS Delaware is good where I tested as well as Dublin similcast.

Actually I'm listening to Delaware simulcast midpoint between 3 towers as I type.

Houk
I only have a few hours use on the above listed systems, but I can confirm no simulcast issues so far. Also, COIRS seems to be void of any simulcast issues as well.
2506f086ff271f16d94c97ca03bb62c7.jpg

kma371

QRT
Were there any beta testers on the west coast, specifically the Bay Area? Lots of simulcast systems out here. Would like to know if there was any actual improvement before purchasing.

mancow

Database Admin
Excellent reports. Thanks.

I will be testing the KC area MARRS system (notoriously horrible simulcast) along side an APX4000R and hope to have good news tomorrow evening.

racin06

My SDS100 monitors the Marion County Public Safety System 1 simulcast in Indianapolis perfectly from my home in Westfield! I'm totally blown away by the SDS100 performance! My 346T would exhibit frequent broken and garbled transmissions on this simulcast system. Also, my SDS100 shows a full 5 bars signal strength versus 1-2 bars for my 346T. Thank you Uniden for this great radio!

Last edited:

vocoder

Now that i found these posts, thanks everyone for sharing.
Even though it makes me more impatient waiting for mine.

Viper43

My SDS100 monitors the Marion County Public Safety System 1 simulcast in Indianapolis perfectly! I'm totally blown away by the SDS100 performance! My 346T would exhibit frequent broken and garbled transmissions on this simulcast system. Also, my SDS100 shows a full 5 bars signal strength versus 1-2 bars for my 346T. Thank you Uniden for this great radio!

And you can now hear Hamilton and Madison counties as well! In some places all three counties. Very impressive! And no simulcast issues.

allend

Premium Subscriber
I’m looking forward to other places besides MARCS-IP seeing it was done all through the beta testing. Can’t wait for results from Los Angels, Atlanta, Phoenix, San Diego, or any major system that hasn’t been reported yet. Plus I remember the Philly folks getting together and testing a few years back. Like to see what they think of the SDS100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are no systems in Los Angeles or in the SOCAL Basin that have every had any troubles with any Uniden radios or Whistler ones. We do not have any systems that have LSM issues. The areas that should be reporting back would be Phoenix and San Diego areas.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
There are no systems in Los Angeles or in the SOCAL Basin that have every had any troubles with any Uniden radios or Whistler ones. We do not have any systems that have LSM issues. The areas that should be reporting back would be Phoenix and San Diego areas.

Correct. Here in the Phoenix metro area we truly live in simulcast hell, with around a dozen different simulcasts. My SDS100 is arriving Thursday and I will post initial results that evening (programming is ready and waiting to upload to scanner).

hosehead88

Premium Subscriber
By the end of the week, I will be testing Dauphin and York County here. I also plan to take a few road trips to test Berks.and Lancaster. Dauphin interests me the most since I live a mile by air from downtown Harrisburg and have had numerous problems with their simulcast system on my TRX-2

KB7MIB

Rich Carlson was a beta tester here in Phoenix. He just didn't post any videos.
However, I was able to meet up with him and another member here, Joe ("Cellphone"), and I can attest that for 3 hours on Sunday afternoon, Rich's SDS-100 had excellent decode on Simulcast G of the Phoenix Regional Wireless Cooperative system. Joe's 436 was only hearing maybe 2/3 to 3/4 of what Rich's SDS-100 was hearing, and my PSR-500 was completely deaf to it.
I would expect the same on the A, B, C, F, H, and J simulcasts, as well as the Mesa simulcast of the TOPAZ RWC system.

So I'd say that Phoenix can be crossed off the list, although Joe, and KR7CQ, and anyone else (I won't have one until late July, at the earliest) can certainly confirm that once they have received their own 100's and have had a chance to put them through their paces.

John
Peoria, AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.