LAPD Portables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engine104

Member since 2005
Lots of good info on the linked PDF.

The new radios will, of course, be capable of AES encryption. The question is, how much will LAPD use that?

SCPD

QRT
Incase you're wondering motorola is pushing out the gps, wifi, shark fins with the government apx mobile sales.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Lots of good info on the linked PDF.

The new radios will, of course, be capable of AES encryption. The question is, how much will LAPD use that?

well with what's going on with surrounding agencies in full force these APX 8000 radios are quad band and will be-able to be programmed with everything including surrounding agencies for interops.

The standard feature is AES-256 and its just built into the radio now. Its not a matter if you want or do not want it. Its there by default at this point on all APX8000 radios. As to when LAPD implements the radios in waves they will make sure they program them all the right way on what they want at this point and most likely they will add encryption. I see why not at this point. Trust me all SOCAL LE agencies want it at this point.

Any new upgrades at this point with new radios and new systems LE will go bye bye. As to LAPD you might get some what of a break but don't hold your breath. LASO is going dark soon.

Look at it this way OC LE was gone over 15 years and never looked back. Now by the end of this year I can guarantee they are taking FIRE too and they will be locking down more of their public safety system too and all of LE is already gone anyways. So what else is there to take and its The Fire Departments now.

SCPD

QRT
well with what's going on with surrounding agencies in full force these APX 8000 radios are quad band and will be-able to be programmed with everything including surrounding agencies for interops.

The standard feature is AES-256 and its just built into the radio now. Its not a matter if you want or do not want it. Its there by default at this point on all APX8000 radios. As to when LAPD implements the radios in waves they will make sure they program them all the right way on what they want at this point and most likely they will add encryption. I see why not at this point. Trust me all SOCAL LE agencies want it at this point.

Any new upgrades at this point with new radios and new systems LE will go bye bye. As to LAPD you might get some what of a break but don't hold your breath. LASO is going dark soon.

Look at it this way OC LE was gone over 15 years and never looked back. Now by the end of this year I can guarantee they are taking FIRE too and they will be locking down more of their public safety system too and all of LE is already gone anyways. So what else is there to take and its The Fire Departments now.

Most of the 5000s have the ucm but weren't loaded. All band makes sense since various agencies are in different systems or bands. With the new apx line I would imagine they will for sure go route of the over air programming and rekey path most cities are going this route with the funds available. It's the next thing. One key feature is the admin checking on these portables over the air and being able to tell if they been read, wrote to, altered. None less they will lock them considering the amount of information they will hold most are and should be locking the devices.

Engine104

Member since 2005
Not good news. Am I understanding correctly that AES-256 on APX8000s is the default type of transmission? What you guys wrote makes a lot of sense based on surrounding LE agencies going encrypted. I guess that being the case, FD would be encrypted too?

I guess I won't be laying out $650 on a new Uniden SDS100..

allend

Premium Subscriber
Not good news. Am I understanding correctly that AES-256 on APX8000s is the default type of transmission? What you guys wrote makes a lot of sense based on surrounding LE agencies going encrypted. I guess that being the case, FD would be encrypted too?

I guess I won't be laying out $650 on a new Uniden SDS100..

AES-256 is not the default tranmission when switching to those new radios. The radios are built with the hardware to use the encryption if they want or use it in the future if needed. But by default all radios are made to transmit in the clear.

As to the fire departments going encrypted its all speculation depending on what cities and counties are going to do in the future but OC is going to use more encryption than what they are using now. I heard they might encrypt the whole OC system but until it happens its all Rumor. But all indicators are pointing that way.

But as to LA County and LA City Fire Departments encrypting I am not thinking they will. Its just not the trend to Encrypt big departments like that but they will most likely add a few encrypted talkgroups so they have the ability to have secure communication if needed. Most newer systems are implementing encrypted talkgroups for fire departments to use and access.

ChrisE_STB

CA Database Admin
Database Admin
Funny thing they deleted the 7/800 option from the flashcodes on the Portables and mobiles.

Engine104

Member since 2005
Thanks, Allend. That makes me feel a little better. Thanks.

It sounded like encryption was the default. I'm glad to hear that is not the case and that it is there if the agency wants it, but they don't have to use it.

I will miss LAPD and LASD, though.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
With the arrival of new radios, a new LAPD radio load due out imminently. Minimal encryption expected outside some specialized units/investigative/staff frequencies.

As far as the bigger picture Chief Beck had previously committed publicly that regardless of technology advances to maintain dispatch frequencies in the clear as part of the department's desire to be transparent and accessible to the public. Now whether the future chief believes the same will need to be seen.

Eventually, LAPD will fully transition onto its own 700/800Mhz TRS once it acquires enough frequencies.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8480

Engine104

Member since 2005
Thanks, LAflyer. Here's hoping Chief Moore feels the same about encryption as Chief Beck did.

Are any of the freqs or TGs on the new system active?

avascan522

Premium Subscriber
Isn't anyone upset enough about this to do something? Short of a modern revolution, the most any of us scanner users and public safety enthusiasts can do is to write to our local congressmen and elected officials. I'm surprised the top brass in Orange County did not receive more backlash from the public about going full-time encrypted. This has probably been said a million times, but there has to be some type of leverage that the public holds as to how they want to be protected and served.

Glad I live in an area where the local agencies don't look to encrypt any time soon.

SCPD

QRT
Isn't anyone upset enough about this to do something? Short of a modern revolution, the most any of us scanner users and public safety enthusiasts can do is to write to our local congressmen and elected officials. I'm surprised the top brass in Orange County did not receive more backlash from the public about going full-time encrypted. This has probably been said a million times, but there has to be some type of leverage that the public holds as to how they want to be protected and served.

Glad I live in an area where the local agencies don't look to encrypt any time soon.

Not to steer off topic but to somewhat answer your question the general majority of public could care less what radio, cost, system a entity uses or could care less what scanner will hear it. Most just know uncle bob as the guy to ask pr the Facebook page to go to for updates. About the only time they consider of think about it in hearing aspect.

Being in various forms of government I've noticed the general population could care less these days. Most actually feel nobody should hear or listen when it involves addresses, names, schools, medical or fire involving a person or home specially when it is their relatives involved, themself, or a friends.

One problem is social media and trend of a individual finding out their home was burglarized, relative involved in a fatal head on, teenager pulled over etc by social media pages prior to any official agency making contact with them to hear the correct information.

I feel upgrading communications to modern technology is a must and the apx line is ideal for LAPD however other cost effective hardware exists out there with equal to or more features.

I see most vacating the uhf and going to all band radios to decide and have ability to decide which path to take prior to the deadline. Most would argue it won't happen here in LA, NYC however as you can see these two agencies are migrating to APX lines with all band capability or option to enable it later. I see the rest in uhf doing it. While LAPD has a solid infrastructure in conventional as NYPD I see them going to a 700 mhz TRS, partial or 700 conventional with partial trs or whatever technology options come around 2021 for voice.

The apx 8000 is a ideal item public safety responders. It allows interop, direct access to other systems on various bands since dispatch does have delay in relay. If it is built out, and utilized properly. I have seen a couple entities already buying 8000 all band units and only having one system on it which defeats the purpose when they could have gone for a lowe tier single band apx.

allend

Premium Subscriber

OC of course is encrypted for law enforcement and this was completed almost two decades ago. Per sources at high levels in radio comms for OC that more public safety next year will implement more encryption. So if all of LE is gone and has been gone then the writing is all over the wall for whatever else is still in the clear on this system.

As to the public over 99 percent of the population could careless at this point. The old stoic generation that relied on scanner traffic back in the good old days are either gone or too old to care and make a voice for the future. Just keeping it real and honest.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Just keeping it real and honest.

In hundreds and hundreds of anti-enc rants all over RR. Guess what, we get it but even YOU say nothing will change, so why harp on it over and over... and over... and over... and over

allend

Premium Subscriber
In hundreds and hundreds of anti-enc rants all over RR. Guess what, we get it but even YOU say nothing will change, so why harp on it over and over... and over... and over... and over

I am not sure if you are angry or having a bad day? Just adding information into the thread from surrounding cities and counties and why the APX8000 is rolling out to LAPD and having interops with surrounding agencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.