SDS100/SDS200: Official Performance Report Google Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The original thread about this immediately became flooded with off-topic posts. So, hoping to give a consolidated way to make your report, please add your subjective score for each scanner model for the systems you monitor to: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pDX7yhQP03RC7yOzeAnkH530ux9hQcNpIirA4CnpS3M/edit?usp=sharing

You can provide some detailed commentary if you wish by replying to this thread. But, please avoid "I home mine gets here soon" comments (we all hope yours gets there soon...). :p

Last edited by a moderator:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Any off topic posts will be deleted.

And stickified for the time being.

Marshall KE4ZNR

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I just changed the wiki page to link to a Google sheet. Much easier to add your report (you don't need to learn wiki markup). Once there are some reports, will add a table to the wiki to reflect those results.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
And, someone already tried to add some garbage to the Google sheet. If that becomes a problem, I'll change the sheet to require a login so that such individuals can be identified and publicly shamed.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I did add a column for the PRO106/651/PSR500, please feel free to delete it if you want. We did some comparative testing over the weekend out here.

BigWonton

Would it be worthwhile to add a column for the Unication G4/G5 series, if we're making simulcast comparisons, as well as a column for comparison with public safety grade radios?

wise871

Database Admin
Would it be worthwhile to add a column for the Unication G4/G5 series, if we're making simulcast comparisons, as well as a column for comparison with public safety grade radios?

Not being rude but from what I hear from G4/G5 users there already perfect like professional radios so do they need to be added?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Not being rude but from what I hear from G4/G5 users there already perfect like professional radios so do they need to be added?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As someone who has many hours spent with one, and who has spent hours around current police radios from my area, I can say they are NOT equal to a public safety radio. They work much much better than any scanner up until this point, but I would describe them as being somewhere between a Phoenix Police handheld radio and a BCD436HP...closer to the police radio. On local simulcasts I've encountered random noises, dropped link at random times, dropped link within 150' - 200' of Verizon cell towers, and audio that is played as encryption when the transmission was not encrypted. I have confirmed those same issues with other users. Don't mean to wander off topic, but since it was brought up...just my two cents. I say this within the context of comparing various pieces of equipment for the purposes of this thread.

radio3353

Adding my vote for this.

Question - Why are two Whistler radios that don't exist yet (and probably won't until end of this year) listed?

Viper43

As someone who has many hours spent with one, and who has spent hours around current police radios from my area, I can say they are NOT equal to a public safety radio. They work much much better than any scanner up until this point, but I would describe them as being somewhere between a Phoenix Police handheld radio and a BCD436HP...closer to the police radio. On local simulcasts I've encountered random noises, dropped link at random times, dropped link within 150' - 200' of Verizon cell towers, and audio that is played as encryption when the transmission was not encrypted. I have confirmed those same issues with other users. Don't mean to wander off topic, but since it was brought up...just my two cents. I say this within the context of comparing various pieces of equipment for the purposes of this thread.

lol, I took a portable from my winter job and had it side by side with the SDS100 and the SDS heard more calls than the city radio. I'd say results will vary by system and radio types. The city radio was a Motorola however and I parked in various dead spots that cause issues for the DPW radios.

markjrenna

My vote too. Why exclude G4/G5? Don't want any real competition that isn't actually a Tx/Rx radio???

Adding my vote for this.

Question - Why are two Whistler radios that don't exist yet (and probably won't until end of this year) listed?

N9JIG

Sheriff
Rich: I'm not seeing that.
I did it on the original Google Docs file before it was ported to the Twiki page. My edits to the Twiki page for 2 systems was ported but the added columns were not, I suppose my permissions were not sufficient. I feel so marginalized.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I vote to add columns for the G4/G5 and pro radios. I don't think there is anything to be scared of, and the Unications were considered the best simulcast option prior to the SDS100.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I vote to add columns for the G4/G5 and pro radios. I don't think there is anything to be scared of, and the Unications were considered the best simulcast option prior to the SDS100.

Yup, put everything up and let's see where the chips land.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Added my entry from Illinois Starcom 21. Performance is out standing...10 ++++ if I could edit it...!

Status
Not open for further replies.