SDS100 What is high and low battery charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
I looked in the manual but I can't find the answer. Even with my radio off my battery seems to not go above 3.75 when charging with scanner. Maybe I haven't left it charging long enough.

1. What is the value for full charge?
2. What is the value for needing recharged?
3. How long does it take to fully recharge from low battery notification?

jasonhouk

I looked in the manual but I can't find the answer. Even with my radio off my battery seems to not go above 3.75 when charging with scanner. Maybe I haven't left it charging long enough.

1. What is the value for full charge?
2. What is the value for needing recharged?
3. How long does it take to fully recharge from low battery notification?

1. 4.2v

2. Menu/Settings/Battery Options/Set Battery Low

3. While powered on approximately 8 hours. While powered off approximately 4.5 hours.

Houk

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Lithium does not charge the same way as NiCad/NiMH.

1. Charge at a constant 700 mA until voltage reaches 4.2V (at which point it will be about 60% charged).

2. Continue charging at a constant 4.2V until the charge voltage drops to 100 mA (at which point the battery is charged).

wise871

Database Admin
Thanks for all the info. Leaving it charging over night should solve my problem.
:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wise871

Database Admin

1. Charge at a constant 700 mA until voltage reaches 4.2V (at which point it will be about 60% charged).

2. Continue charging at a constant 4.2V until the charge voltage drops to 100 mA (at which point the battery is charged).

Let mine charge all night 7 hours and green complete light was on. Looked at voltage and it was only 4.1. Is this a battery issue or normal?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Battery voltage when charging is always going to be higher than when not charging.

jasonhouk

I'll also add that with lithium technology being used there is a break-in period for the cell to reach full capacity of approximately 10 charge/discharge cycles.

Houk
Battery voltage when charging is always going to be higher than when not charging.

wise871

Database Admin

Yep, showing 4.2 now while plugged in. Thanks again. Still learning all the little things about this scanner.

osiris

clock battery

This might be in the manual (which I have not read yet), but does the internal clock battery have to be charged for 50 hours or whatever the 436 needed ?
Thanks Bob

jasonhouk

Nope, it's a super cap. Still unknown to me how long to discharge if battery is left out.

Houk
This might be in the manual (which I have not read yet), but does the internal clock battery have to be charged for 50 hours or whatever the 436 needed ?
Thanks Bob

osiris

clock battery

Ok thanks a lot. On a different topic, how do we enter different info in the SDS100 ? When I pick target scanner as SDS100 I get the same info as my 436 & 536 when I go to edit fav list.
Thanks in advance, Bob

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Ok thanks a lot. On a different topic, how do we enter different info in the SDS100 ? When I pick target scanner as SDS100 I get the same info as my 436 & 536 when I go to edit fav list.
Thanks in advance, Bob
Your Favorites lists will be the same under both your x36HP profile & the SDS100 version. Any change, addition, or correction you do to a list would be mirrored in both profiles.

However, if you open the Profile editor, when in the SDS100 profile, you'll need to reset which Favorites lists are downloaded and/or monitored. In my 'SDS100' profile, I found that all Favorites were initially set to off for both download and monitor. Also, while I had FIPS codes entered into the Weather SAME screen, those were initially blank in the SDS100 profile.

osiris

clock battery

Thanks Steve. I expected to see a different screen displayed for the SDS100 profile. I guess I was mistaken in what I would see.
Thanks, Bob

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
However, if you open the Profile editor, when in the SDS100 profile, you'll need to reset which Favorites lists are downloaded and/or monitored. In my 'SDS100' profile, I found that all Favorites were initially set to off for both download and monitor. Also, while I had FIPS codes entered into the Weather SAME screen, those were initially blank in the SDS100 profile.

If you have a lot of settings in a x36 profile you want to transfer to SDS100, and you haven't invested a lot of time customizing a screen layout for the SDS100 yet, you can File Save As the the x36 profile and then change the target model.

But once you have your SDS100 screen settings configured, its generally easier to Save As in the other direction--save the SDS100 profile as x36, and then tweak the x36 display settings as needed.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
I checked mine, it turned green and said 4.22v, glad to know this info.

Also, is it ok to plug the USB cable into a USB port in a surge protector, its rated at 2.1a i believe.

Fidgety9996

mA is a current not a voltage unit.

Charging problem

I am very happy with the way my new SDS100 works with the exception of the battery problem & that the display heats up when on land power. The battery went dead within an hour & it will not charge no matter what I do. It is pluged in correctly yet the red light does not come on & no power is getting to the battery connector. When I contacted Zip ascanners they stated to bad & told me to read the paperwork on the battery replacement. I know the battery needs replaced yet has anyone had the problem of it not charging & the radio display heating up when pluged in. I am unable to shut the display lights off on land power. Also when I avoid a system, dept, or channel I need to do it three times till it actually avoids. As far as picking up all the different systems in metro Denver it works much better then my Uniden BCD436HO

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The battery is not shipped fully charged due to hazmat regulations. It is not defective, Uniden just decided they wanted more than 5 hours of run time, and are giving out new batteries with more capacity when they become available. Follow the instructions on the yellow slip of paper included in the box with the scanner to get an extra free battery.

You have to turn on a menu setting under battery options to enable charging while the scanner is on. If you don't, the scanner will not charge while turned on.

There is a menu setting in Display Options to keep the display on when when plugged into USB power. If you don't like the display on all the time, turn off that setting.

It is normal for the scanner to get warm when running, including the display and the antenna connector.

There is nothing wrong with your scanner, you just need to read the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.