SDS100 quick performance review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
Got my SDS100 a little while ago. First impressions are OUTSTANDING!

Morris County is crystal clear. My 436 and HP2 always have trouble with this system. The new radio is as good as I have ever heard it. Zero distortion and no more hanging talk groups with no audio.

NJICS is the same. My house in West Caldwell seems to be in a sweet spot. So there is never any distortion. I will be in Verona tonight and I always had trouble with the 436 and 996p2. So I’ll give it a good workout later and see what develops. But I have a feeling it will be a good report.

The radio does generate some heat while scanning, but I’ll get used to that.
The speaker sounds good. I typically run the volume at 9, but I had to turn it down.
So far I am very impressed with this radio.

More later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NParkNJ

On the Road
Very good to hear!

Any chance you were able to listen to Wayne’s P25 System?

If not, would you have a chance? That’d be the deciding factor for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
I’m hoping to play with it later. I’ll try Wayne and a few others.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber

So far my BCD436HP and HP2 are out performing my SDS-100 on the New Jersey Interoperability Communications System, Maryland FIRST, and West Virginia SIRN on my trip to our weekend place in WV. The Unication G5 is beating both.

UPDATE: Fault found with the SDS-100's antenna connector. Not sure what it is yet, but will examine further later.

Last edited:

W2SJW

Database Admin
So far my BCD436HP and HP2 are out performing my SDS-100 on the New Jersey Interoperability Communications System, Maryland FIRST, and West Virginia SIRN on my trip to our weekend place in WV. The Unication G5 is beating both.

UPDATE: Fault found with the SDS-100's antenna connector. Not sure what it is yet, but will examine further later.
I was going to ask the same question - there are few (if any) SMA antennas that will work with the new weatherproof connector. Hopefully someone will produce one that works with the gasket.

I'm going to be running mine with the BNC adapter & my monoband Laird antennas.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
I was going to ask the same question - there are few (if any) SMA antennas that will work with the new weatherproof connector. Hopefully someone will produce one that works with the gasket.

I'm going to be running mine with the BNC adapter & my monoband Laird antennas.

I'm not sure that's it. I actually suspect it's a busted resistor or a cold joint. It was both on my BCD436HP, which was also a first run. Well, the resistor wasn't missing or busted really, it just was in there just not attached. That's actually why I thought to check was I remembered that debacle.

W2SJW

Database Admin
I'm not sure that's it. I actually suspect it's a busted resistor or a cold joint. It was both on my BCD436HP, which was also a first run. Well, the resistor wasn't missing, it just was in there just not attached. That's actually why I thought to check was I remembered that debacle.
Wait, was that just you that posted on the FB group with the same issue?

W2SJW

Database Admin
No, not at all! I'm a mod/admin here, I have no say over there. I just got confused by the name difference... ;)

W2SJW

Database Admin
Meh, everyone always assumes I'm somebody I'm not. It happens.
Lol! On a serious note, it is important to properly note which of us is having real issues with these first-run units.

I'm out running errands with my wife - I haven't even unpacked mine yet...

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Cmon Scott ! You are not a true buff like that rest of us, LOL. Need some Wayne, Morris and NJICS true world views.

Radioditch...firmware Fridays beating I/Q...I suspect an internal flaw with all the hype.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Radioditch...firmware Fridays beating I/Q...I suspect an internal flaw with all the hype.

Upon further review, and voiding of the warranty (ducks), took one glance to find the issue which was confirmed to be a broken antenna connection. Looks like it may have been a fragile cold joint. It also wasn't sitting straight in the case. I'm guessing UPS's routine handling procedures resembling those of Stephen Gostkowski during the 2017-2018 regular NFL season probably are what did it in, despite Uniden's retail packaging. Retailer also didn't throw any peanuts or air-packets in the shipping box.

After a quick fix with the soldering iron, and closing it back up, the SDS100 is now out performing every other scanner the four of us have spread on the table, except our buddy's Unication G5 on WVSIRN where it's about equal. Hopefully it's equally as good on NJICS when we get back to Jersey on Monday.

I'm actually also really damned impressed with conventional reception in the AAR Band attached to the full-size Stationmaster up on the pole outside the cabin.

Last edited:

jasonhouk

Great news thanks for sharing!

Houk
Upon further review, and voiding of the warranty (ducks), took one glance to find the issue which was confirmed to be a broken antenna connection. Looks like it may have been a fragile cold joint. It also wasn't sitting straight in the case. I'm guessing UPS's routine handling procedures resembling those of Stephen Gostkowski during the 2017-2018 regular NFL season probably are what did it in, despite Uniden's retail packaging. Retailer also didn't throw any peanuts or air-packets in the shipping box.

After a quick fix with the soldering iron, and closing it back up, the SDS100 is now out performing every other scanner the four of us have spread on the table, except our buddy's Unication G5 on WVSIRN where it's about equal. Hopefully it's equally as good on NJICS when we get back to Jersey on Monday.

I'm actually also really damned impressed with conventional reception in the AAR Band attached to the full-size Stationmaster up on the pole outside the cabin.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Glad to see you solved the issue. Let us know about NJICS and your travels back.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
This radio continues to impress.
NJICS West Orange and Union simulcast are crystal clear. No distortion.

Morris County and Wayne P25 are perfect as well.

I even tried the Port Authority EDACS, which I was never able to pick up on the 436. The SDS100 is showing 2 bars and tracking the system. Audio is a little scratchy, but clear enough to understand.
Time to recharge the battery and try again tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how long the battery holds up.

NParkNJ

On the Road
Thanks Mark. Appreciate it. Especially Wayne, and Morris County.

Where were you monitoring Wayne from?

I have to be fairly close to get a lock on them in the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.