SDS100 Keypad Lighting Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

CQ

Anyone see an issue with bottom, left corner keys not lighting up? Part of the 1 and 8 are lit except for those edges. No light on the 4, 7, . and 0 really dim. Don't see light on the left two bottom keys and really dim on the two right bottom keys.

Switching display to torch mode doesn't do anything for the keys so put it back to 30%.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It appears that the keypad is lit from the middle, so the keys on the edges are not as bright as the ones in the middle.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Mine looks like this. Pretty normal I'd say...
09fd65dd7c9df61169d77570b4dc20e7.jpg

W2SJW

Database Admin
Wow, that does look like an issue. Mine is slightly less-bright on the extreme left side, but no where near as dark as your lower-left corner...

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Looks like either some LEDs are not as bright or they just need to increase the diffusion a little.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Does changing the Display brightness level also change the Keypad brightness level?

CQ

Looks like either some LEDs are not as bright or they just need to increase the diffusion a little.

Don't think the keys are individually lit. Maybe one or two distribute the brightness.

Does changing the Display brightness level also change the Keypad brightness level?

Switching display to torch mode doesn't do anything for the keys so put it back to 30%.

Think the keypad has one setting - on/off. Ideally, that should be an option to change brightness as well.

I've never been a fan of bright anything. I'm currently running at 30% display setting. It also doesn't help improve the 3.2/3V I'm stuck at while plugged into system via USB.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Don't think the keys are individually lit. Maybe one or two distribute the brightness.

Think the keypad has one setting - on/off. Ideally, that should be an option to change brightness as well.

I've never been a fan of bright anything. I'm currently running at 30% display setting. It also doesn't help improve the 3.2/3V I'm stuck at while plugged into system via USB.

Have you tried any other USB ports on your computer? Some of mine are 500mA, 900mA, & 1500mA so it matters which one I plug into. Of course they are all the same voltage.

Have you tried the Uniden wall charger that came with the SDS100 it is 2000mA (2A)?

Last edited:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber

Exactly. So, as I said...one is either not as bright (as in faulty) or they need to increase the diffusion behind the keypad.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I would suspect there are at least two and the one between 4 and 7 isn't as bright or isn't working.

Maybe some others can post shots of their keypad in the dark with the backlight on and we can see if they are all that way or it may be a batch of LEDs that's the issue.

CQ

Have you tried any other USB ports on your computer? Some of mine are 500mA, 900mA, & 1500mA so it matters which one I plug into. Of course they are all the same voltage.

Have you tried the Uniden wall charger that came with the SDS100 it is 2000mA (2A)?

I thought the issue was with a 15' cable (different port and USB 2.0 spec is 5m) I use with a 436 and wanted to log with it but then got a low voltage error. I tried another cable I use to update firmware with a 536 that's slightly longer than 4' and didn't like that either.

The cable that came with the 100 doesn't let me charge while on and logging from the USB port where I have the software. If the setting is on they're you're stuck with the low voltage error until you disconnect and hope it doesn't die so you can make the change to not have it charge while on. I was able to charge with the charger and cable combo that it came with originally.

Now that I recall, a USB port in my vehicle had the same low power error and had to use one of my 12V outlets with a USB adapter that did charge it. I definitely know that works because the USB-C on it quick charges one of my mobiles.

Uniden may have to start throwing some caveats out there when they say charge while on.

Last edited:

Jake68111

Can’t say that I have the same issue.
Keypad lighting looks pretty good and is pretty well balanced.

Attachments

• D1AF4A60-4106-4FF8-A97D-B992FA93EE25.jpg
    D1AF4A60-4106-4FF8-A97D-B992FA93EE25.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,159
  • F20818F7-A88C-4968-88DB-A641D9BD031D.jpg
    F20818F7-A88C-4968-88DB-A641D9BD031D.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,155

Jake68111

I can see that the light fades away a bit towards the 1, 4 and 7 but it looks like it equally fades away toward the SRCH3, WX and DISP.

Don't pay so much attention to just the numbers BUT pay attention to the whole keypad and you'll see why I said I think its pretty well balanced, from the center outward.

Last edited:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I can see that the light fades away a bit towards the 1, 4 and 7 but it looks like it equally fades away toward the SRCH3, WX and DISP.

Don't pay so much attention to just the numbers BUT pay attention to the whole keypad and you'll see why I said I think its pretty well balanced, from the center outward.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Perhaps that is the issue (which isn't an 'issue') and not uneven light. Good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.