SDS100 Trunking Reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjbracing

Premium Subscriber
I set up my SDS100 yesterday. It receives really well on conventional channels but I get very few hits on the MPSCS system. I'm in Northern Oakland county.

Side by side, I pick up State PD and Genesee County Fire on my Bearcat 396XT but silent on the SDS100.

I've made sure the frequencies are the same on the Holly Tower. Any suggestions?

radioron231

As I do not have the new scanner yet I can not say for a fact. But I know when I first received my bcd386hp, I did not have the correct service types turned on. You might check that. Good luck

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

pjbracing

Premium Subscriber
As I do not have the new scanner yet I can not say for a fact. But I know when I first received my bcd386hp, I did not have the correct service types turned on. You might check that. Good luck

Checked the service types and all available are turned on. I do get hits but probably about 5% of what I get on the 396xt. Frustrating - Thanks!

radioron231

Sorry I can't be more help as I do not have one yet. I am sure it's something simple.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I set up my SDS100 yesterday. It receives really well on conventional channels but I get very few hits on the MPSCS system. I'm in Northern Oakland county.

Side by side, I pick up State PD and Genesee County Fire on my Bearcat 396XT but silent on the SDS100.

I've made sure the frequencies are the same on the Holly Tower. Any suggestions?

You are not alone. My 436 picks up twice what my SDS100 does sitting on the desk at work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoA333DcsK8&t=2s

At home where I'm far away from any type of radio tower, they are more even, but still I give the edge to the BCD436HP. I'm less than thrilled but not giving up yet, still testing, trying things, trying different spots / locations. I'm thinking I might just have a bad unit but time will tell.

a29zuk

Gee, the Holly site is a stand alone. It isn't part of a simulcast system. Could you have the attenuator turned on for that system? Could the squelch setting be too high?

Jim

Last edited:

KN4C

You are not alone. My 436 picks up twice what my SDS100 does sitting on the desk at work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoA333DcsK8&t=2s

At home where I'm far away from any type of radio tower, they are more even, but still I give the edge to the BCD436HP. I'm less than thrilled but not giving up yet, still testing, trying things, trying different spots / locations. I'm thinking I might just have a bad unit but time will tell.

Sorry if it has already been ask, but your squelch is at 4. Do you have the problem if you set your squelch at 2?

pjbracing

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone. I've tried to change just about all I can including searching on the Holly tower. Last 3 hours, I hit once on a scanned ID (which sounded great and lasted for about 2 seconds) and 2 quick hits while searching.

When ID Scanning, I see 2-3 bars on the signal icon, data pops up and occasionally P25 Nac H947 will light up as well, but scanning continues without stopping and of course no modulation.

Attenuator is off (although i did try with it on) and tried squelch from 2-5 (1 trips the conventional channels.

During this time, I'm hearing trucked ID's on my 396XT. :confused:

mancow

Database Admin
Put the trunking in a favorite by itself with no conventionals and try squelch level 1 again.

pjbracing

Premium Subscriber
Put the trunking in a favorite by itself with no conventionals and try squelch level 1 again.

I only have trunking in separate favorite lists. Conventional is in separate list. I've turned off the conventional list. Now scanning just two trucked favorite lists with squelch set to 1 (and 0 too). No hits. Even tried ID searching with nothing. Sorry this is frustrating.

mancow

Database Admin
That's odd. Have you tried scanning it using the nationwide database instead of your fav list just to rule out any error?

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Yes I've tried a lower squelch setting but it didn't help unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

pjbracing

Premium Subscriber
That's odd. Have you tried scanning it using the nationwide database instead of your fav list just to rule out any error?

I've tried scanning with the entire database too. It just seems to not to be able to trunk track very well. Every once in a while It will grab onto a channel for a transmission but once the immediate transmission is over, it moves on but will not lock back on.

Again I appreciate the advice!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I've tried scanning with the entire database too. It just seems to not to be able to trunk track very well. Every once in a while It will grab onto a channel for a transmission but once the immediate transmission is over, it moves on but will not lock back on.

The default delay setting is only 2 seconds. So 2 seconds after a user unkeys, the scanner starts scanning again. Try holding on a trunked system of interest and see what happens.

pjbracing

Premium Subscriber
The default delay setting is only 2 seconds. So 2 seconds after a user unkeys, the scanner starts scanning again. Try holding on a trunked system of interest and see what happens.

I’ve tried to hold on a single talk group without results while the other scanner gets hits

Thanks for your ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.