F-150 best antenna and location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM4KCV

I am newer to the field and want to install a YAESU FTM-400XDR in my 2015 F-150. I can't use my existing mag mount because of the aluminum body. I saw a fender mount on HRO that would out the antenna on the driver side front fender, but thought that may be a little close to the driver for exposure. Also need to be able to get into parking garages around town so I was looking at a fold over design.

Any suggestions on a good dual band antenna and mounting location?

Thanks for your help!

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I use a Larsen 2/70NMO dual band for around the city. Where this is mounted, it is shorter than the vehicle AM/FM antenna. It is mounted on a fender mount but more towards the front of the vehicle. I don't worry about the 50 watts RF causing any problems. Have had no one say that my signal is a problem driving around the city. Most amateurs like this antenna. However I did have a problem with the flat spring like contact in the base mount as it wasn't contacting the NMO center pin. Thus, every time I remove the antenna, I make sure the contact flat spring is not bent into the base mount [loading coil] too much.
When doing public service out in the mountain areas or even flat areas I will remove the Larsen and use a Comet SBB-7nmo dual band, or a Comet CA-2X4SR [I tend to use this antenna the most when doing public service]. This antenna is just a little long and thus I don't have it mounted all the time. Or a Diamond SG7900 [use only if I am a significant distance from a repeater when working public service].
In town, I use a Comet B-10 for APRS. When out in the country, I will use one of the above mentioned antennas for APRS. The B-10 is mounted on the opposite side of the front fender than the Larsen.
Although I don't seem to have a problem with fender mounts, the best place for an antenna is certainly the center of the cab.

Status
Not open for further replies.