Sentinel Enhancement Requests

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffhochberg

Premium Subscriber
I was thinking that it would be nice to have a thread (sticky please?) whereby we can submit enhancement requests for the Uniden Sentinel application.

It's a great application that continues to improve but there is always room for improvement!

Just going through the latest release (2.00.02) I found at least a couple of things purely navigation related that I would like to see changed:

1. Allow for import of more than one HPE file at the same time - you can only select one at a time

2. When importing HPE files, the destination Favorites list automatically collapses. It's necessary to expand it after each import.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I'd like to have the ability to import systems that don't have any identified talkgroups. I have several new trunked systems in my that I can't import as no talkgroups have been submitted. Sure, I can make the system from scratch, but isn't that what the database import is supposed to be for?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Submit talkgroups for the system, and the problem will solve itself.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
....and in order to do that, you need to be able to listen to the system to identify them. The whole chicken and the egg scenario.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You have to program at least part of the system manually to submit it in the first place. Best practice is to submit at least one talkgroup with a system anyway.

vikingegfd

Premium Subscriber
Like to be able to copy the listings so I could export to a database.
Set up a set of help pages.
Set up a manual for the software.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
I'd like to have the ability to import systems that don't have any identified talkgroups. I have several new trunked systems in my that I can't import as no talkgroups have been submitted. Sure, I can make the system from scratch, but isn't that what the database import is supposed to be for?

This is exactly why others find 3rd party software that does indeed allow what your asking for.
(Provided they are in the db to begin with) back to the chicken & egg...

jeffhochberg

Premium Subscriber
Not everyone wants to pay for 3rd party software.

I don’t mind personally but others might not have the money to spend after investing $600+ on a scanner.

Some of these enhancements are around general usability and should be easy to tweak. One shouldn’t have to pay for third party software to change how data is sorted.

I’m trying to look out for people who are casual users.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rdballenger

Please please please allow global setting that will cover a whole favorites list for how long the scanner will stay on a channel after a transmission ends

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Please please please allow global setting that will cover a whole favorites list for how long the scanner will stay on a channel after a transmission ends

...that can change the default 2 seconds when scanning the full database.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I've never understood the point of having to go into "Edit Favorite" to edit a FL. They are listed on the main screen at the bottom of the tree in the left pane and can be viewed but to edit you have to go into edit - seems odd. Perhaps there was a reason but you'd think they could make it so that the editing can take place right there in the main window without having to pop open a new window.

powerhouse

It sure would be nice that if a new talk group was added or an existing one was changed in a system that I have programmed as a favorites list was automatically added to that favorites list when updating the master database on the scanner. i.e. if I have Carroll County fire as a favorites list and a new talk group was added, when I update the weekly master data base that new talk group was automatically added to my Carroll County fire favorites list......or at least notify that a change was detected between an existing favorites list and the new data base and ask if I wanted to add it or not.
This would save a ton of time checking every time the data base is updated to see if I am monitoring everything that is currently in a system that I have designated as a favorites list.

Ubbe

...that can change the default 2 seconds when scanning the full database.

And that also goes for new talk groups being received by ID search in a system in Favorit Lists. The fixed 2 sec for TGs being discovered doesn't give you time to save them and hardly time to even focus your eyes on the display. You could use the replay function but for some reason you cannot do any saves from there, only avoids.

/Ubbe

jeffhochberg

Premium Subscriber
Is anyone familiar with a way to introduce voting within a thread? I think we are going to need a method of tracking what enhancements are mor important to people than others.

I love how you guys are thinking! Keep up the momentum!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
I really want to like Uniden. but, one of the things that rubs me the wrong way is the software. I have now watched several videos of them, and both Home Patrol and Sentinel seem to be using a simple Windows interface, as opposed to a PC / Windows application such as the Radio Shack / Whistler app. the Sentinel seems to be harder to understand and uses tree branch like organization. Where as the Whistler app is a PC application that is easy to control the scanner as well as program it. bonus it uses the Radio Ref database for programming. Two things I want form Uniden are, one a PC application for controlling my Scanner Settings as well as Programing that is MORE like Whistler and its 2018, how about PC Remote control of the scanner and Video Output ( even if just RCA ).

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
jonwiwnke - just use a Digital Scout frequency counter, it can Automatically log LTR, Trunking and Digital Systems, with ZERO intervention of the user. you just drive to the Agency towers or Bussiness then turn on the frequency counter and it begins collecting everytime someone transmits, for LTR systems it analyses the system, capturing the control FREQ and all the handdelds used. be sure to use a stubby antenna as you ONLY want to capture just that Agency or Business. it even has belt clip for waking around. and it has a vibrator. works way better than ANY Signal Stalker or Close Call Feature, ZERO programming, and capture is INSTANT.

ems170

Feed Provider
I would love to have a notes column added to each of the table sections. Obviously, this would only remain local on the Sentinel system but could be useful for denoting programming notes such as inputs, revision dates, or encryption status.

Status
Not open for further replies.