Car antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRHKY94

Lisa:

Do you have specific bands you are you looking to receive or do you want all-band coverage? And then, what kind of mount do you prefer for the car.

Thanks - Mike

DJ11DLN

Lisa:

Do you have specific bands you are you looking to receive or do you want all-band coverage? And then, what kind of mount do you prefer for the car.

Thanks - Mike

X2, more info needed. However if you don't want holes and do want cheap the Spectrum Force mag mount has worked surprisingly well for me, to the extent that I'm not sure I'll be dropping the headliner on my '17 Terrain, what with all of the side-curtain airbags etc. But as always YMMV, and an NMO in the middle of the roof with a whip cut to cover the specific bands you want will be the best solution.

BillH1

X2, more info needed. However if you don't want holes and do want cheap the Spectrum Force mag mount has worked surprisingly well for me, to the extent that I'm not sure I'll be dropping the headliner on my '17 Terrain, what with all of the side-curtain airbags etc. But as always YMMV, and an NMO in the middle of the roof with a whip cut to cover the specific bands you want will be the best solution.

The spectrum force mag mount worked well for me also. It's a great little mag mount for most of what I listen to. VHF/UHF/800 MHZ.. The only problem I had was after a while, the wire started to pull out of the base.

questnz

Get NMO Triband from Larsen or Laird. You cant go wrong. I "didled" with many different mobile antennas in the past two years with various success. Then I ship one Larsen and one Laird NMO from Amazon and found them to be best from the bunch. PS Scanning only. Both very similar in performance cant really tell the difference between them. Both need proper NMO mounts.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P9JAVF6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00794VX6U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DJ11DLN

Get NMO Triband from Larsen or Laird. You cant go wrong. I "didled" with many different mobile antennas in the past two years with various success. Then I ship one Larsen and one Laird NMO from Amazon and found them to be best from the bunch. PS Scanning only. Both very similar in performance cant really tell the difference between them. Both need proper NMO mounts.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P9JAVF6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00794VX6U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the Larsen on my pickup and had one on the old car (Trailblazer) and I agree, that's an excellent solution. The OP still hasn't said what frequencies he or she wants to hear yet though...

questnz

I was surprised by both, spec said 150.450.800 etc but I am getting good scanner reception
on Air, 75.xxx and 485.xxx ranges (my Band Plan). a very happy with the purchase. Initially I was thinking to keep better one and sell another, but now they on both of my vehicles for keep.:p

NYRHKY94

I have the Larsen Tri-Band as well. Been using it for years as my go to mobile scanner antenna. Currently have it hatch mounted on a RAV4. Like the OP, I use a BCD325P2 when mobile. The OP would "likely" be happy with the Larsen ;-)

Attachments

• Larsen Tri-Band Hatch Mounted.JPG
    Larsen Tri-Band Hatch Mounted.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 262

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

I've also had good results with the Larsen.

I have the Larsen on my pickup and had one on the old car (Trailblazer) and I agree, that's an excellent solution. The OP still hasn't said what frequencies he or she wants to hear yet though...
The OP's home county has a mix of Vhf-high & Uhf channels. The statewide P25 system uses Vhf-high frequencies.
The spectrum force mag mount worked well for me also. It's a great little mag mount for most of what I listen to. VHF/UHF/800 MHZ.. The only problem I had was after a while, the wire started to pull out of the base.
I use both the Larsen linked above, as well as the Spectrum Force antenna, each feeding one scanner. The Spectrum performs well on the systems I encounter on a regional trip I make regularly, which includes Vhf, Uhf, and 700/800MHz frequencies.

The Spectrum is available from Scanner Master and Universal Radio (be sure to order the 201B if shopping with Universal, which is a BNC connector; the 201S is SMA, which does not work on the 325P2), and Amazon, among other sources. This Tram antenna also works well, and is less expensive than the others linked.

bobmich52

I have the Larsen Tri-Band as well. Been using it for years as my go to mobile scanner antenna. Currently have it hatch mounted on a RAV4. Like the OP, I use a BCD325P2 when mobile. The OP would "likely" be happy with the Larsen ;-)

Strong recommendation for the Larsen pictured, have had it 6 yrs +, no issues

I have the same on my 2012 Hyundai Tucson, But I had it mounted on my drivers side inside Front Q/P

Excellent on all all upper bands

Not bad on VHF low either

Status
Not open for further replies.