SDS100 Extreme Noise on UHF & VHF While Driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKJohnny

Scanner Addict
Premium Subscriber
When I first checked out this scanner (while at home), I fell in love with not only the LSM performance, but most of all the lack of squelch tail on the analog UHF and VHF I listen to. However, after taking this thing mobile, I'm pretty depressed about my analog listening.
There seems to be an extemely excessive amount of noise on these analog channels I listen to. I don't know if it's due to a more sensitive front end or what. While the car is stationary, it's ok, but while moving I get so much static and even some strange machine gun sounds during transmissions that it's really hard to listen to.
I've tried troublshooting with no solution as of yet. I've had the scanner hooked up to my mobile antenna, the stock antenna, a RS 800 antenna, USB plugged in and not plugged in, headphone jeck plugged and unplugged, held in hand moving around, in cup holder, stationary in a cradle, and nothing makes an improvement. I live in Kendall County IL, and travel everyday to Kane County (25 mile trip), and it happens the whole way. The two main analog sites I listen to are KenCom and Tri-Com. ALL my other scanners NEVER had this sort of annoying static and noise, and I've had most in my car before. Sitting stationary at home, in car, or office it's fine. Just while driving it's a serious problem.
Is anyone else experiencing this? Should I have any hope for a fix? Thanks for listening.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Thinking outside the box here .

Is your cellphone close to the radio
In the car ?
Could it be the cellphone changing
Towers as you move along in your
Journey .
Maybe the sds100 is picking this up.
Just as a suggestion make a trip with
Your cellphone off .
See what happens .

Also if possible can you ride in a different car.
Maybe it is something in the car .

As I stated thinking out of the box here .

jasonhouk

Any cheap USB power adapters plugged in even if not powering can cause issues.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Bob1955

Uniden SDS100 Extreme Noise On UHF/VHF While Driving

AKJohnny,
My advise to you is this, never buy anything that first comes off the production line. That's my first rule. I would call the place you purchased this and obtain a return authorization and also call your credit card company and dispute this charge. I also think that this radio has a much more sensitive front end. I had returned (2) Boafeng transceivers for the same problem. Very noisy while driving around but it was a $64.99 item on Amazon.com. For the price of this, you have to be 100% happy. I would also join Scanner School on Facebook and tell Phil Litchenburger, Jr. this problem you're expiring and also the group.
Have a great Summer.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If the radio works fine at home, but not in the car, the problem is RFI from the car, not the radio.

AKJohnny

Scanner Addict
Premium Subscriber
Thanks. Like I said above, it's fine when stationary in car (even when car is running). Just when actually driving it's problematic. I've used it without the USB plugged in with same result.
Maybe cell phone issue, will try, BUT never had issue with my other scanners while cell phone has been on.
Thanks.

derevs

Given the symptoms you have described in your last post I would have the wheels, driveshaft or any other parts that turn when moving looked into. The noise cannot come from other sources such as cell phone bluetooth, etc., because interference generated by them would be consistent whether moving or not.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
What car?

Oh, and a recording might help. Some people can identify noise sources just by listening to them. Not me, but some people.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Given the symptoms you have described in your last post I would have the wheels, driveshaft or any other parts that turn when moving looked into. The noise cannot come from other sources such as cell phone bluetooth, etc., because interference generated by them would be consistent whether moving or not.

Engine computer, ignition system...

AKJohnny

Scanner Addict
Premium Subscriber
I'll test in my wife's car, but mine is a 2016 Mazda CX-5. I drove home today with cell phone off, Uniden R3 :) off, and nothing else on and nothing connected to the scanner. Just stock antenna, moved it around cabin while driving and still noisy.
I'll try a better description...it's like the static that "might always be there" is just overstated, like an audio equalizer has mid tones or treble too high. As for the machine gun sounds I mentioned, it doesn't happen often, and I didn't hear it on the way home today, so maybe related to the cell phone. But just never experienced this before.
I turned on the "Noise" meter, and during a transmission it ranges from 50 to 150 average, but still hear the crackling static. RSSI is average of -75 while hearing it. If that makes any difference to anyone.
I'll try and take a video when time permits, but honestly this has never happened on any of my other scanners that I've driven with... and out of the scanners in my signature, these are the ones that I've driven with that DON'T exhibit this behavior...
BCD436HP | HOMEPATROL-II | BCD996P2 | TRX-2 | TRX-1 | PRO-197 | PRO-106 | BCD396T | BR330T.
I guess my favorite for analog (BCD996P2) will be going back into the car. I'll just have to live without my STARCOM21 listening while mobile unless something miraculous happens :(

By the way, just to restate, it's only on the analog UHF & VHF High 1. Digital is wonderful. Thanks!

Last edited:

MartyF81

Premium Subscriber
I have a 2016 Silverado. However, I have the issue even outside of the vehicle.

At my desk. I was standing in a baseball field alone and had it too.

AKJohnny

Scanner Addict
Premium Subscriber
I have a 2016 Silverado. However, I have the issue even outside of the vehicle.

At my desk. I was standing in a baseball field alone and had it too.

Weird. Mine is fine when stationary whether in the car or anywhere else. I don't believe it to be KenCom only since I get it on Tri-Com as well. It has to be something with the scanner if none of our other scanners behave this way. Maybe I'll start listening to KaneComm as well to see if it happens with them.

AKJohnny

Scanner Addict
Premium Subscriber
Ok, this doesn't exactly match my complaint since this recording does not include the continuous crackling noise while mobile, but it does include the machine gun sound. And now I believe the machine gun sound is due to my cell phone since it was nearby when I recorded this. But like I said, doesn't happen on my other scanners. So it appears this scanner is much more susceptible to this.
Attached...couldn't upload as a .wav, so I zipped it.

Attachments

• 2018-06-15_23-19-02.zip
    70 KB · Views: 60

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
That does sound like cell phone. I have heard it on several other scanners. Different receiver designs are going to have different responses to nearby RF noise sources. Generally, moderate separation solves this kind of thing.

AKJohnny

Scanner Addict
Premium Subscriber
That does sound like cell phone. I have heard it on several other scanners. Different receiver designs are going to have different responses to nearby RF noise sources. Generally, moderate separation solves this kind of thing.

Thanks UPMan, I appreciate your chiming in! I'll try and get a recording of the other more concerning issue of continuous crackling noises while driving that I'm experiencing that I don't get on my other scanners. I'll try and get on my next trip out. Thanks Paul!
Regards,
John

Ubbe

As soon as a car starts to move, the magnetic sensors at each wheel, that are used for anti locking break and anti skid systems, starts to activate the on board computers. They have been known to interfere with professional radios, analog of course as digital modes masks all kinds of pulse and spike inteferencies.

To find out how much interference there is in a vehicle you could set a scanner to AM mode and listen with open squelch and step thru the frequencies in the ranges you normally listen to.

/Ubbe

KI4ACI

I use mine in the car with a Radio Shack multiband rubber duck antenna, running on internal SDS battery, no noise, really good P25 and conventional reception.

AKJohnny

Scanner Addict
Premium Subscriber
I do appreciate the info on RFI. cheap usb cables, car computers, and everything else that can cause noise on a radio. But the fact of the matter is this noise has Not been an issue with all the other scanners I've had in this vehicle with the same driving conditions.

I know that analog is noisy. I know interference can and will be picked up on such a receiver. But the problem is the crackling static is so much more pronounced (compared to all other scanners I've had in the car) that it distracts from the voice transmissions. Maybe it's just my old ears. Listen to the attached and see what you think.
The attached recording is while driving in the car only a couple miles from KenCom towers, scanner in hand with stock antenna and nothing attached, and all electronics off (other than car running in motion). And this is Not the worst I've heard. But it does at least, to my ears, really exaggerate the noise to me.

So this is pretty much my last complaint of the issue from me. Just wanted to post this audio and if you all think I'm crazy. It's cool. I already have my 996p2 back in the car and barely notice any static. I'll just carry along the SDS100 once in awhile for digital listening.
Thanks again all!

Attachments

• 2018-06-18_09-05-45.zip
    125.3 KB · Views: 48
Status
Not open for further replies.