NCSHP Low Band

Status
Not open for further replies.

KO4RJX

Premium Subscriber
Are any of the SHP Comm Centers still using the old low band system in 2018?

Took a trip out of troop C territory today into Sampson County. I noticed troop B giving their call sign after nearly every transmission verse Troop C only doing it after broadcast. Got my curious.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

yardbird

I can't answer for the other parts of the state.

I do know that all of troops G & H are strictly 800 Mhz. No more Low Band.

I know they are taking the Low Bands out of the patrol cars.

I talked with a Major over Field Operations about two years ago before he retired.

I asked him why Troop G was getting rid of their Low Band radios?

He told me the decision was made with the recent success with Viper usage during the Hurricane

Matthews operation that the determination was made to use Troop G as a testing area for Viper due to the

mountainous region.

He also told me that with the current state of the low band buildings and such being in much needed

repairs it was more cost effective to abandon Low Band for Viper.

Another reason was the accessibility of finding parts to maintain the Low Band infrastructure.

When I worked in the radio shop in the early 90's. Raleigh had just bought the last two personality boards

for the Syntor X-9000 Low Band Radios from Motorola.

Plus Motorola doesn't even make a high power 110 watt radio anymore. The only Low Band they make

now is in the CDM series and it is limited to 60 watts.

Like I said I haven't heard if the rest of the communication centers have gone away from Low Band or not.

Hope this helps

David

KO4RJX

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. Just curious why the difference between the two comm centers.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

CFP387

Like I said I haven't heard if the rest of the communication centers have gone away from Low Band or not.

I believe Troop E stopped their low band transmission around the middle of March. I'm only one mile away from their comm center and I started missing hearing their dispatch on low band around that time.

I've noticed some cars still have the low band 5/8 wave antenna but I'm guessing that they may be using them to monitor CB traffic.

KO4RJX

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys. I figured the low band was long gone, the constant call sign announcements just seemed odd. Low band use was the only thing I could think of that would require them to give it so often.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

drayd48

I don't believe that all low band is gone. When I get bored, I put my scanner in search mode and get some SHP on low band and I think it comes from somewhere around Davidson county

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
I still pick up NC SHP on the low band, not real often but it comes in loud and clear. I use an older scanner to "watch" some frequencies between 40-160 Mhz. Again, not a lot of activity but fun to hear every now and then. Some of the more rural counties still use their older systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.