TWRA Switch to Encrypted Dispatch 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachgallop

Recently I have been contacting TWRA regarding to their switch to dispatch 2 specifically in Region 4. As well as Region 3. They are now using Dispatch 2 Encrypted for all Dispatch ops. There was a memo sent out by the major regarding the change. I did not get a response from the ask TWRA or the Law Enforcement Major regarding my emails.I would encourage others to email TWRA at the following Email Adresses: Brian.thompson@tn.gov (Major Thompson) and Ask.TWRA@tn.gov . Also to call Major Thompson at (731) 423-5731 . Petition might be comming soon or contacting the media since they have not addressed my concerns. Thank you for any help. This decision really confuses me. Maybe they just need a push like THP did.

Here is a copy of my email sent to Ask Twra:

I have emailed Major Thompson in the past with no response. I was told to email this email address.. Unsure if he is getting them or not. The first was on May 25th(typo in email) and the 2nd email was sent on the June 1st.But on the other hand he has emailed a person I know back. Here is my email to him, maybe somebody could answer these questions and address my concerns:

Major Thompson,
Unsure if you got my last email, on the 2th of May. I am emailing as to the TWRA switch to Dispatch 2 for main ops. I am a young citizen of the Loudon and Knox County community , that highly disagrees with this change.I respect the right for law enforcement like TWRA to encrypt the tactical channels channels. I believe that day to day channels such as Dispatch 1 sould stay open to preserve transparency. I respect encryption of certain tactical channels for the safety of officers. Personally I believe every agency should have access to encryption but not for main ops.I believe TWRA should consider a balance between transparency and officer safety. I am all for officer safety but I am a big proponent of transparency as well.There is little evidence that encryption help enhance officer safety that much. I am a big time hobbyist into scanner/radio communications since I was 7 years old and I enjoy hearing as well as seeing what the people in public safety do has inspired me to pursue a career in law enforcement after high school. I am very interested in TWRA specifically because I really enjoy the outdoors and I am a big time sportsman. Me,radio hobbyist, the media, and many scanner monitors across the state would like to see this level of transparency continued by switching back to Dispatch 1 in unencrypted mode.
For years I have been monitoring TWRA, along with other agencies in my area. During the summertime months TWRA is one of the agencies I monitor the most. Due to the big interest I have in specifically your boating patrols and presuing a career at TWRA . I live on Melton Hill lake in Region 4 very close to Region 3. It is very informative to listen to your talkgroups. Honestly I do not see much of a reason for TWRA to be encrypted the majority of the time. There is not any Natural resource type agency I have seen across the country that uses encryption full time. I really liked your oldest setup where dispatch 1 had selectable encryption it worked real well. Region 4 never really has been a big user of encryption but on the other hand Region 3 has. I was wondering the following: If this is a statewide thing now and Is there a specific incident that caused this?
Now last year I realized Region 3 started using dispatch 2 full time encrypted then Before that selectable encryption on dispatch 1 heavily. When I started noticing Region 4 using encryption I was really stocked out of all the agencies in Tennessee is that TWRA would resort to this. Not even THP uses encryption full time,they primary use their main dispatch 1 unencrypted. The rest is encrypted of their talkgroup such as Dispatch. Even the National Park Service and TVA rarely use encryption.
I do realize there is some the that use the information they hear over your channels irresponsibly. But why let the minority (the bad) ruin it for the majority (for the good).We ask TWRA that switch back to using Dispatch 1 unencrypted. As well as continuing using certain tactical channels that are encrypted for the safety of officers and protecting sensitive information. I am sure me and many others would be more than happy to see the change back to dispatch 1. Will you and your agency take this into consideration? Also are the VHF frequencies still used? Thank you for all your agency does to keep our state and our resources safe!

Thank you,
Zachary Gallop
Senior
Track/XC
L&N STEM Academy

Thank you for any help!

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
While I admire your tenacity, consider that the TWRA team is tasked with enforcing hunting laws and that such "suspects" are routinely armed with high powered rifles. Plus it is not unusual to uncover a meth lab and other such activity. While full time encryption may be overkill it is no different from when THP switches to pursuit channel whereas not to give away tactical info that would be used by the perpetrator. Not every scanner user is a good citizen.

zachgallop

While I admire your tenacity, consider that the TWRA team is tasked with enforcing hunting laws and that such "suspects" are routinely armed with high powered rifles. Plus it is not unusual to uncover a meth lab and other such activity. While full time encryption may be overkill it is no different from when THP switches to pursuit channel whereas not to give away tactical info that would be used by the perpetrator. Not every scanner user is a good citizen.

While that may be true. I do admit they encounter a lot of people in possession of weapons, but not necessarily high powered. Their job is very dangerous. Backup or any assistance could be very difficult to get to them. Now for the meth labs and such I have no idea. I have heard of it every once and while but they probably do not report when they find such to the media or on their facebook. THP does in those and switches to Dispatch 2 for such ops. But in all my years monitoring TWRA I have never heard Tactical info discussed on their Dispatch 1 (Unencrypted). Now they use their Dispatch 2 talkgroup Phase II in Region 3 and Phase I in Region 4 fully encrypted During hunting season it is very quite on their channel. But during the summer it is very busy with these following phrases: "41XXX 10-8 BRAVO ___ Lake" "42XXX REAL SYSTEM CHECK ON ____" "32XXX 10-6 Crossville for Lunch" and "31XXX 10-7 my station R." These phrases are also used during hunting months but with very little activity. I really encourage others to email them because like you said full encryption may be overkill. I think it very much is because of the traffic they mainly say on dispatch. Then most of their arrest or other incidents are repeated over local channels.Also anybody interested in calling them, found Nashville HQ Number is (615) 781-6500.

Last edited:

CORN

Premium Subscriber
Also I would like to know how many criminals are caught with an actual scanner on them? I know there are a few as documented by the news but those criminals are always busted for impersonating a police officer. Those aren’t your common criminals. First they’re not going to go buy one, maybe steal one but to me that would seem to be one extra thing to keep up with when trying to do their dirty deeds. If they encrypt because of scanner apps on the phones then send cease and desist orders to all these online severs like broadcastify. I’m with you, Zach in I think it’s BS to encrypt their garden variety dispatches. Things that make you go hmmm.......

zachgallop

Also I would like to know how many criminals are caught with an actual scanner on them? I know there are a few as documented by the news but those criminals are always busted for impersonating a police officer. Those aren’t your common criminals. First they’re not going to go buy one, maybe steal one but to me that would seem to be one extra thing to keep up with when trying to do their dirty deeds. If they encrypt because of scanner apps on the phones then send cease and desist orders to all these online severs like broadcastify. I’m with you, Zach in I think it’s BS to encrypt their garden variety dispatches. Things that make you go hmmm.......
Agreed. I doubt 98% of the people they deal with montior them. Most people who would have scanners would not likely have it on TWRA but the local channels.TWRA is not even on the scanner apps and I have never seen them be on it. TWRA Dispatch 1 is still in the clear it it just a simple change back to Dispach 1. Not that hard to reverse their decision, thank goodness. Will you email them?

CORN

Premium Subscriber
I’ll try. But being a govt agency I don’t think it’ll make them change their minds. TWRA are are a bunch of “good ole boys” and think their “excrement” don’t stink.

zachgallop

I’ll try. But being a govt agency I don’t think it’ll make them change their minds. TWRA are are a bunch of “good ole boys” and think their “excrement” don’t stink.

Thank you. It is worth a shot. Sadly it is that way.I can't remember but I am pretty sure THP had plans for full encryption and how did it change? People called, email, and complained.

zachgallop

So I received talkgroup 15201 Region 1 West TN Dispatch 1 on Knox Simulcast unencrypted. She had an individual run and go into the lake. Seems it is still up to the individual TWRA Major for each Region, but I have no way to confirm that.That is the way I told it was a year or two ago. I made a mistake and gave the wrong major. I had everybody email the Region 1 major. I am extremely sorry for having people email the incorrect person. Since Region 3 runs encryption Phase II on dispatch 2. So could people PLEASE email or copy & paste their old emails to Brian.ripley@tn.gov (Region 4 LE Major) and Thomas.jaynes@tn.gov (Region 3 LE Major). Does anybody know if Region 2 is running encryption for main ops?

zachgallop

Finally got an email back.Apparently their was an issue.
"Mr. Gallop:

Thank you for your email of July 18, 2018. As this is a statewide issue I am forwarding your email listing your concerns to our Division Chief, Col. Darren Rider.

Sincerely,

Major Brian Ripley
Law Enforcement Program Manager
Region IV
Boating and Law Enforcement Division
TENNESSEE WILDLIFLE RESOURCES AGENCY

Mr. Gallop,

I apologize for the delay in you receiving a response from your Ask TWRA (attached below) that was received. I attempted to send you a response on 7/5 and it was sent back as undeliverable and just today Major Ripley was able to provide me your correct e-mail address. The Agency appreciates your comments provided, in trying to answer the questions you have –

If this is a statewide thing now and Is there a specific incident that caused this?
Yes, encryption will be utilized statewide, yes there was a specific incident.

Will you and your agency take this into consideration?
The Agency will continue to use encryption for officer safety and for the privacy of the public’s personal information.

Also are the VHF frequencies still used?
The VHF system remains functional with very little usage.

Darren Rider
Colonel – Boating and Law Enforcement Division
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency
Work – 615-781-6669
Cell – 615-335-7260
Fax #1 – 615-781-5268
Fax #2 – 615-781-6680
Darren.rider@tn.gov"

Status
Not open for further replies.