SDS 100 Initial observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrotumola

This week I took possession of two SDS 100s. One of them will find permanent residence with 4 536s and 5 436s.

Both SDSs have the ProVoice upgrade as my local agencies are largely on a ProVoice system and a Texas DPS operated P25 type I interop overlay is patched to many of the ProVoice talkgroups.

Only one SDS has the NDXN and DMR upgrade. The remainder of my fleet are fully populated with upgrades.

In a side by side by side by side (you get the hint) comparison, I am happy to report the P25 reception on the SDS radios are superb and comparable to the richness of the 536's audio. Decode is on target.

However, on the Provoice system, the site my family of radios clearly call 'home' is hit or miss with the SDS at best. A severe case of positional deafness was observed. Others call this multipath, but when all of the other radios show full or near full strength and the SDSs show a -45 to -50 dbm incoming signal and largely remain silent there is a clear problem.

Dark_side made an observation that as the radios heat up, choppiness manifests itself and increases. He also made note that as the voltage decreased, the error rate increased and muting did as well.

A semblance of cooling was observed when the earplug cover was retracted.

In the next 24 hours or so, we will be trying the beta software on one radio and check for improvement using the other radio as a 'control.'

I will say, I waited with baited breath for the release of this radio after seeing and hearing all of the hype prior to approval and release. I do not recall any provoice testing being done as it seems that simulcast was the priority of the day. I am disappointed for the moment, but looking forward to finding a happy solution.

~S~

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Open beta firmware is out to check EDACS issues and provide additional logs. Thread in the Uniden Tech Support forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.