• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G4/G5 Bluetooth RSM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
I *think* I've settled on a Unication unit for my main go-to P25 monitoring radio. It does one thing, and it does it well.

The only thing nagging me is audio/amplification out (or lack thereof). I (sorta) understand the lack of a standard earphone jack in the name of water intrusion prevention and ruggedness. So Bluetooth it is. Still not an issue except I really don't want a new call notification or re-pair for every transmission. I like my radios loud, especially with digtal voice. ALL digi modes sound really good on amplified speakers. Even my XTS non-affiliate radio (current daily carry for local P25 systems) sounds like junk stock. Pipe the audio into amplified speakers and the sound is rich, loud and extremely clear.

Most current police package vehicles come equipped with the driver's side door speaker spec'd for radio use...and they sound GOOD! Almost Hi-Fi type audio. You start to understand the work put into these digital codecs/modes by the engineers once you plug into higher quality speakers.

I like LOUD and CLEAR audio. From what I've read on the forums, it's a crapshoot if my headunits/ear pieces/speakers/etc will "correctly" pair with the G series unit.

To be reasonable, for fire personel I can see where an incoming call type BT connection works great. So no blame on Unication.

But for monitoring, I cant help but wonder if one of the many Bluetooth amplified wireless speaker mics work welll with the G series. Klein makes some LOUD amplified wireless speaker mics of course along with all the Chinese copies and clones on Ebay.

Getting to the point, have any of ya'll paired any of the Bluetooth RSM's with a G4/G5? How does it sound?

Rich KG5RBG

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I don't buy their water tight excuse. The charger/programming jack uses a rubber cover, why couldn't they use that setup on an earphone jack. In my 20+ years in LE we had body packs instead of mobile radios. The shoulder mic allowed for plenty of clear, loud audio.

cpetraglia

I ended up using an Amazon Basics BT speaker and modifying it. I opened it up, tapped one of the speakers, added a mini transformer 8/600 ohm and installed a 3.5mm jack. From there it will connect to any amplifier. It pairs, stays paired and has no beeps or noises. You just have to make sure it's using BT 2.1 which is becoming kind of rare now. But you can find them.

The sound quality is as you would like to hear. Very nice.

radio3353

Last edited:

N6ML

My experience with the G5 (Phase-II) + Docooler is that it sounds good, but seems to often miss the first half second or so of the audio (presumably due to the BT connect). That's maybe OK for fire dispatch, but when trying to monitor rapid-fire traffic, you can miss critical words. I made a recording with the G5->Docooler in the left channel, and the SDS100 in the right, both holding on the same TG (sound-activated recording, so the silent periods are not recorded). Maybe best to listen with headphones. If you listen carefully, you'll hear words on the right that are missing on the left. There's at least one case where the SDS100 misses a transmission too, but that's a separate issue.

https://soundcloud.com/n6ml/g5doocooler-vs-sds100

Last edited:

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Unication BT/Doocooler

I have the Doocooler. It's been great. There are various versions of it on Amazon by different names as I see it's "out of stock" now. There was an issue for the G4/G5s with the new Phase 2 PPS firmware setup where if you didn't select "enable voice buffering" or was it enable voice storage? you would miss the first parts of transmission. I purposely left it off to test and did notice the Pager started missing the very beginnings of some transmissions where it never had before phase 2 PPS. I assume you have enable voice buffering* checked on the PPS in all the proper Zones? Also, could it been you simply have MORE talkgroups in the Unication than on your new SDS-100? that would account for it too would it not?

Last edited by a moderator:

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
You keep stating RSM. Why are you wanting a microphone?

Sent using Tapatalk

I'm not wanting PTT capability. Just seeing if anyone has tried pairing one of the BT RSMs on the market for another solution for portable audio.

A few folks tried the Klein wired amplified speaker mikes with various scanners with GREAT success, as they are amplified and provide extremely loud audio. They are a hidden gem not many folks know about for amplifying their scanner audio from the headphone output. These units are geared towards the PTT over cellular market (think Zello) but have the side benifit that they plug into any standard 1/8" headphone device and provide LOUD CLEAR audio.

There are plenty of rechargable BT RSM units available on the market. If there is a rugged BT speaker mic that pairs well with the G series and at the same time provides good amplified audio, that would be fantastic.

These units run about $140, so I was just fishing to see if anyone has paired one of the bluetooth versions of these speaker mics and what their results were, seeing as how the G series provides BT audio out and no headphone jack.

If we find that either the Klein or Chinese branded BT RSMs pair and work well with the G4 or G5 models, that could be an extremely good thing.

I do not need PTT and I am aware that the Unications don't Xmit. I have heard one of the Klein amplified RSM's plugged into a low-level scanner headphone jack and it will literally blow you out of the room with 1 watt of amplification.

Last edited:

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
To add to my above post, here are a couple examples of what I'm referering to
Valor® Speaker / Microphone for Mobile Phones/POC - Klein Electronics
These are LOUD. If you have any of the common scanner models, this thing will blow you away whatever mobile environment you may be in. AWESOME for scanners with a headphone jack.

This is a Bluetooth model from the same MFR. Just curious if anyone has tried one as the G series only allows for BT audio.
Blu-RSM® Bluetooth Speaker Microphone - Klein Electronics

Last edited:

radio3353

This is a Bluetooth model from the same MFR. Just curious if anyone has tried one as the G series only allows for BT audio.
Blu-RSM® Bluetooth Speaker Microphone - Klein Electronics

I looked at the datasheet, It says BT v.3.0. I think that is a no-go. The G4/G5 apparently only works with v. 2.1.

My only pet peeve with the G4/G5 is lack of a headphone jack. It would make using a powered external speaker for mobile use so much easier.

N6ML

Lack of headphone jack is a major detractor for the G4/G5 for me too, especially since the BlueTooth implementation is so lame.

The internal speaker is OK in the office at home, but fairly useless mobile, and at a noisy incident scene.

I wonder if someone with 3D printing skills could come up with a "shoe" that utilises the docking connector on the bottom.......

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I have the Doocooler. It's been great. There are various versions of it on Amazon by different names as I see it's "out of stock" now. There was an issue for the G4/G5s with the new Phase 2 PPS firmware setup where if you didn't select "enable voice buffering" or was it enable voice storage? you would miss the first parts of transmission. I purposely left it off to test and did notice the Pager started missing the very beginnings of some transmissions where it never had before phase 2 PPS. I assume you have enable voice buffering* checked on the PPS in all the proper Zones? Also, could it been you simply have MORE talkgroups in the Unication than on your new SDS-100? that would account for it too would it not?
The voice buffering is for paging alert times. Basically, when using P25 pagegroups, you just key up and talk, so whatever was said while the pager is giving the alert, would be lost, unless you use the buffering. (Which has nothing to do with the BT connections, if they are being used.)

Sent using Tapatalk

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
G4/G5 BTooth

Thanks Krokus. I have no idea what voice storage or voice buffering does... but the question was why? was BT cutting things off in the recording. VS SDS 100? ONE possible reason could be .... he might have disabled "voice buffering" in a particular zone. The warning box shows up when I disable it and hit SAVE* tells me Notice: Current Settings will cut off the **beginning part of the received voice. It is recommended to enable voice buffering** Wouldn't that (sound) then be transmitted through BTooth? because what he describes is exactly what happened to me after Phase 2 FIRMWARE/PPS was implemented *didn't do that before as I always had voice buffering off* That is why I asked him if he had done so. MAYBE that might not be (enabled) in his zones? haven't seen an answer on that. ALL I know is that when I disable it, use B/T doocooler or place it in the Amp/Charger or simply by itself, the voice gets cut off at the beginning. I enable it and it's fine even on BT. Folks should go ahead and TRY it yourselves. Double click on any ZONE with a Trunking-TG scan on top. Scroll down and disable "voice buffering" and try to SAVE it. The little box with the warning should show up *IF you're using Phase 2 PPS/Firmware. Does it matter? could it be that the doocooler BT is crap and not working right or even charged all the way? did he have too many TGroups in the Unication and hardly any in the SDS100? who knows. Mine works, skips part of the beginning of transmissions when I disable "voice buffering"

Last edited by a moderator:

N6ML

I have the Doocooler. It's been great. There are various versions of it on Amazon by different names as I see it's "out of stock" now. There was an issue for the G4/G5s with the new Phase 2 PPS firmware setup where if you didn't select "enable voice buffering" or was it enable voice storage? you would miss the first parts of transmission. I purposely left it off to test and did notice the Pager started missing the very beginnings of some transmissions where it never had before phase 2 PPS. I assume you have enable voice buffering* checked on the PPS in all the proper Zones?

I recently turned OFF buffering for my TGs, because it seems to cause recordings to have the *end* chopped off. It's also been suggested, in other threads, to turn it off to help with missed transmissions (not sure I buy that really)

Also, could it been you simply have MORE talkgroups in the Unication than on your new SDS-100? that would account for it too would it not?

It shouldn't. The firmware should monitor control traffic and notice ANY of the TGs in the scan list and go there immediately. It's not like it listens to the first, then moves on to the next ... (I hope!)

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
G4/G5 BTooth

Ahh, ok. I hope it gets straightened out. But one thing is for sure. New toys (G5/SDS100) are fun to play with. I know reinstalling the firmware or even simply reloading the same profile has fixed past "burps" on G5.

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
Lack of headphone jack is a major detractor for the G4/G5 for me too, especially since the BlueTooth implementation is so lame.

The internal speaker is OK in the office at home, but fairly useless mobile, and at a noisy incident scene.

I wonder if someone with 3D printing skills could come up with a "shoe" that utilises the docking connector on the bottom.......

Thats the next route I was pondering. Obviously audio out is provided through the bottom contacts (for the amplified charger).

This unit seems to be perfect for dedicated P25 trunked monitoring EXCEPT for the audio out options. A headphone jack would go a long way to providing many with lots of options for amplification. I don't doubt the units' capabillities at all, but just trying to weigh my options.

If I go the SDS100 route, I KNOW the Klein amplified speaker mic or a corner store 1/8" aux cord WILL work.

If the G series had a headphone out, there would be absolutely no second thoughts. Klein speaker all day, everyday...problem solved. I change vehicles twice daily and I'm not dragging around a birds nest of bluetooth adaptors, wires, USB chargers, etc just to get amplified audio.

I could see the potential issue of fire personnel missing voice paging traffic by leaving earpieces plugged in, but maybe the firmware could be so that alerts are always routed to the internal speaker (which would alert whether an earpeice was plugged in or not)

I'm just fishing for feedback. All these units are awesome, but after accessories and upgrades to get them where I want, it'll be easy to hit the $800-$1k mark. It adds up fast if I think about it.
-SDS100 with good simulcast reports PLUS DMR/NXDN/aftermarket antennas but reliable audio out. Plus amplified RSM. At 1k easy.
-G4 Proven rock solid simulcast rx PLUS case/No DMR/NXDN but will I have to drag a satchel of junk to fit my changing audio needs every day
(Will I need to get one or more amplified chargers at $140 a pop for mobile-level volume?)

Have a great day everyone. It's still a hobby for me, but I do take my monitoring seriously and use it daily. I may come across more serious than it really is.

Last edited:

texas1313

Premium Subscriber
I've had success pairing 3 different BT headsets; BT 2.1, 3, and 4.

I paid $15 for a Jabra Classic (BT 4.0) at Best Buy. It works, but I get the weird beeps on the G5 each time there was traffic. So I'm using my older BT on the G5, and the newer BT on my cell phone.

mdsxfire

EDBM
Thats the next route I was pondering. Obviously audio out is provided through the bottom contacts (for the amplified charger).

This unit seems to be perfect for dedicated P25 trunked monitoring EXCEPT for the audio out options. A headphone jack would go a long way to providing many with lots of options for amplification. I don't doubt the units' capabillities at all, but just trying to weigh my options.

If I go the SDS100 route, I KNOW the Klein amplified speaker mic or a corner store 1/8" aux cord WILL work.

If the G series had a headphone out, there would be absolutely no second thoughts. Klein speaker all day, everyday...problem solved. I change vehicles twice daily and I'm not dragging around a birds nest of bluetooth adaptors, wires, USB chargers, etc just to get amplified audio.

I could see the potential issue of fire personnel missing voice paging traffic by leaving earpieces plugged in, but maybe the firmware could be so that alerts are always routed to the internal speaker (which would alert whether an earpeice was plugged in or not)

I'm just fishing for feedback. All these units are awesome, but after accessories and upgrades to get them where I want, it'll be easy to hit the $800-$1k mark. It adds up fast if I think about it.
-SDS100 with good simulcast reports PLUS DMR/NXDN/aftermarket antennas but reliable audio out. Plus amplified RSM. At 1k easy.
-G4 Proven rock solid simulcast rx PLUS case/No DMR/NXDN but will I have to drag a satchel of junk to fit my changing audio needs every day
(Will I need to get one or more amplified chargers at $140 a pop for mobile-level volume?)

Have a great day everyone. It's still a hobby for me, but I do take my monitoring seriously and use it daily. I may come across more serious than it really is.

I bring my G5 with me everywhere I go, it sits in the cup holder or the door and with the volume on around 65 I have absolutely no issues hearing it with the windows open.

That being said it would be great to have a mobile speaker mounted that I could just plug into every time I got in the car, but with what this unit has done for monitoring my FDs system and surrounding systems while mobile or anywhere for that matter I’ll take that drawback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.