COM1 port error Win10 PC to Uniden BCT15X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudrider

Hi all,

Just purchased Uniden BCT15X and downloaded Freescan 218-b6. Also purchased a programming cable which I have connected into front port. BCT15X baud rate set 9600 to match PC. Rear port if Off. C-CH Ouput is Off.
PC recognised the new USB hardware and connection and has set up COM1 correctly it appears. I have matched this in Freescan but Freescan won't find a connection. Been through all the relevant links I can find but to no avail.
Has anyone got any clues please? Its driving me mad.

Many thanks -
Nige

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I've experienced situations where I'm using software X that tries to connect to a com port that has been "captured" by software Y. When that happened, I shutdown and re-started the computer. That clears software grabbing com ports.

Don't know if that will help, but it's worth a shot.

Are you using a USB to RS 232 adapter and do you know if it's chipset is HXD or HXA? (Windows 8 and 10 need the HXD chipset).

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
On many computers COM 1 is a reserved port and seldom used for devices like the adapter cable. COM 3 is much more common. I'd look in Device Manager to confirm what port was assigned. And, if it was COM 1 change the assignment to COM 3 (or some other unused port) to eliminate possible conflict with internal devices.

NYRHKY94

As UPMan has stated above, I would check Device Manager to verify the COM port number assigned to your programming cable. The standard cable for a BCT15X connects from the front port on the scanner to an RS 232 serial port on your PC. If that's what you are using and your PC recognized the cable and installed the driver, then Device Manager would "typically" show a COM port assigned to "USB Serial Port". If it's there, double click on that one and then click on the Port Settings tab and change the Bits Per Second (Baud Rate) to 115200. Then go into the scanner and change the front port Baud Rate to match that.

Cloudrider

Many thanks all for the input.
Appreciated.

Funnily enough my DriverMax software kicked up out of left field overnight and sorted the issue for me, which proves once again why I like this software.

So without knowing exactly what got installed, I suppose I have to call that a win.

Cheers again guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.