Scroll Knob on BCD536HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I am having an issue with one of my BCD536HPs where the scroll knob will often skip ahead or back two spaces on one click. This is happening with my radio that is about 2 years old. I have another 536 that is about 4 years old that does not exhibit the issue.

I have noticed this issue mentioned in the forums by numerous people. I would like to get a feel for how many others have this issue. My radio is out of warranty, so I’m looking to replace the scroll knob myself. Has anyone replaced the knob with success? Does anyone have a link to the Uniden part, or a part number if I call for service?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It's not the scroll knob that's giving you problems. It's the encoder it's attached to. I'm not sure if it's optical or mechanical. Maybe Paul will jump in.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Same here with my 536 had it about a year and half and the scroll know loves to jump around you can actually just tap it to move your selection. As the last poster said I have just learned to live with it. Other than that the radio is a rock and works works great.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

gary123

Mine does it too. the unit is a 2015. You can tell the year by looking at the s/n 375Zx. The "x" is th year 4= 2014, 5=2015 etc.
I dont mind paying for a repair if there is one. The know is a pain in mobile operation. Other than that the scanner works better than any unit I have ever owned. I have all 3 optional modes DMR, ProVoice and NXDN enabled.

mciupa

I've noticed this starting about a year ago. It goes haywire turning the knob to the right, which is the direction you instinctively want to turn.
I thought why not turn it to the left to see if it makes a difference?

I think you may have more control going counter-clockwise but it seems that you have to turn it around farther to get to where you want to be.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I've noticed this starting about a year ago. It goes haywire turning the knob to the right, which is the direction you instinctively want to turn.
I thought why not turn it to the left to see if it makes a difference?

I think you may have more control going counter-clockwise but it seems that you have to turn it around farther to get to where you want to be.

Mine has been doing that left and right for years. Times it will skip 2-5 lines in the menu

bryank104

Premium Subscriber
Scroll Knob on BGD536HP

I also have the same problem with mine. I have had it about a year and a half. Its been doing this for four months now.

radioman2008

Batlabs user Wazzzzzzzzup (2001-Present)
Premium Subscriber
i purchased my 536 back in 2015 and it developed the problem within the original 1 year warranty, got it fixed, and it has since been sent in 1-2 more times for this. it seems it will work until just out side of the repair warranty and then fail again. as others said i have learned to live with it, spending about 80$ for a repair is not worth using the knob for 3.5 months before it fails again.

a good solution i have been doing is pre configuring discovery mode sessions on another one of my 436 units then loading them on the 536 memory card. its alot easier to deal with the skipping trying to select a session than it is to try to create a session from scratch with it skipping.

gary123

I was thinking it might be a bad cap in the indexing circuit. the rotation is seen as noise and the ciruit treats it like several 'clicks' rather than the 1 what was made.

Unfortunatly there are no servoice manuals available so I cannot look futher into the scroll knob operation. I suspect that just adding a .01 cap to the input line would fix the problem. Maybe Uniden can look into this?

garys

Premium Subscriber
I had this happen with one of my 536HPs. I sent it in for the repair two years ago and it's been fine ever since. Now my other unit seems to be starting to have the problem. On a similar recent thread, someone suggested opening the case and using some contact cleaner on the pot. I haven't looked inside to see if that's feasible or not.

Ubbe

There is (always?) a software debounce code in a cpu to handle all inputs from mechanical buttons and switches. It's a time delay that makes the clicks from the rotary encoder only register to a fixed max speed. The speed is selected to make it easy to select characters when entering name tags. If the speed is reduced it would fix the bouncing switches but it would be irritating slow to select letters from the alphabet.

Trying to filter the noisy switches with enough capacitance to make a difference would mess up the cpu's code where it senses from the two switches which way the encoder rotates and would probably work very erratic. I manage to fix a worn out single switch many years ago by using a capacitor, a resistor and a diod. But it was only some simply on/off function and not an encoder wheel.

My guess is that the switches metal are of cheap quality and gets dirty and need some contact cleaner. In some cases you have to mechanicly access the surface and remove the dirt by force as the contact cleaner are not enough. I will look and see if I'm able to fix my encoder tomorrow.

/Ubbe

garys

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, because you know, Uniden NEVER responds to a problem. :roll::roll:

Of course it could just be that this is a wear item and some people are going to experience wear earlier than others.

Some people...

Notice how there is no response from Uniden here? Just hide Paul. Go figure.

hardt0303

Mine started doing it with the DMR upgrade and I believe it was from manually programming systems. I sent mine out to uniden and had it repaired, I believe it was around $60

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Not sure what response is needed other than Uniden - Online Repair Form.

And, going on vacation is not hiding. Going on vacation is not supposed to be working, either, yet, here I am, on vacation, still working. And, yes, sleeping a lot more than I usually do from the chemo. Trying to time my sleeping so that it is not concurrent with my driving. :) Made it to Memphis, though. Next stop, Nashville.

dallascowboys

Not sure what response is needed other than Uniden - Online Repair Form.

And, going on vacation is not hiding. Going on vacation is not supposed to be working, either, yet, here I am, on vacation, still working. And, yes, sleeping a lot more than I usually do from the chemo. Trying to time my sleeping so that it is not concurrent with my driving. :) Made it to Memphis, though. Next stop, Nashville.

Enjoy, have a great time, take in all the sites and take care of yourself.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Notice how there is no response from Uniden here? Just hide Paul. Go figure.

1) You are not the OP and did not post in this thread until you decide to drop this useless line.

2) Your posts are consistently negative in nature; very troll-like. So, why post? They aren't substantive. Nothing better to do?

3) Paul is away on vacation (or, supposed to be) AS HE TOLD EVERYONE HE WOULD BE. Your post only makes one person look bad here and it isn't Uniden. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.