Adding 1sec to hold time helped my SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
After a suggestion from my good friend Doug who also has a SDS100 I am now seeing some great results. I am running both my 536 and the SDS100 on my 8 port Multicoupler connected to a DJ130. By default Sentinal had my hold times set to 0 sec for hold times under Favorites and Systems. By changing my hold time for Systems Only from 0 sec to 1 sec hold time, my SDS100 now matches my 536. It even beat it some.

Here is a rough video I made. The SDS100 was set to 1 sec, the 536 was sec to 0 sec. I was monitoring a Phase 2 700/800 system in this video. Both were working the same favorites file. Again, this seems to work for me in my area. Both had the latest firmware, not beta.

Video

More testing but I'm happy with my results so far. Before the hold my SDS100 was getting beat badly. I'm seeing great results on conventional also.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Set the hold back to 0 and redo the test with the beta firmware in the SDS100.

wise871

Database Admin

I did a comparison earlier with the SDS100 beta and 0 sec hold time on both and I saw no improvement so I went back to the official release and add 1 sec which shows me the best results. The only system I am seeing issues with now is Provoice (SLERS). It has improved with 1 sec hold but I may try again with the beta firmware.

wnjl

Probably a stupid question, wise, but where did you find the original firmware file to rollback? I tried to do it through Sentinel, but it detects the beta as the latest version and just states such when you try to update.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Just load it using sentinel the small eway you would upgrade your firmware normally and it will roll you back to the current public release version.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
After a suggestion from my good friend Doug who also has a SDS100 I am now seeing some great results. I am running both my 536 and the SDS100 on my 8 port Multicoupler connected to a DJ130. By default Sentinal had my hold times set to 0 sec for hold times under Favorites and Systems. By changing my hold time for Systems Only from 0 sec to 1 sec hold time, my SDS100 now matches my 536. It even beat it some.

Here is a rough video I made. The SDS100 was set to 1 sec, the 536 was sec to 0 sec. I was monitoring a Phase 2 700/800 system in this video. Both were working the same favorites file. Again, this seems to work for me in my area. Both had the latest firmware, not beta.

Video

More testing but I'm happy with my results so far. Before the hold my SDS100 was getting beat badly. I'm seeing great results on conventional also.

Umm I would say your 536 is getting beat pretty mightily in this video.

SOFA_KING

Hey Wise, What was the issue with the SDS-100 that needed extra hold time?

Say hi to Doug for me. My e-mail gets so much spam anymore that it's almost useless. So does my cell phone! Can't even answer it anymore unless it is stored in "Contacts".

Phil

wise871

Database Admin
Probably a stupid question, wise, but where did you find the original firmware file to rollback? I tried to do it through Sentinel, but it detects the beta as the latest version and just states such when you try to update.

Wnjl
Anytime a new update comes out I remove the SD card from the scanner and install it in my computer. This way Sentinal puts it into the firmware folder on the card. I’ll make a copy before I insert it into the radio to update the firmware. This way I can always go back if I’m not happy the results.
Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wise871

Database Admin
Hey Wise, What was the issue with the SDS-100 that needed extra hold time?

Say hi to Doug for me. My e-mail gets so much spam anymore that it's almost useless. So does my cell phone! Can't even answer it anymore unless it is stored in "Contacts".

Phil

Hey Phil
What Doug and I noticed was the SDS100 was missing out on transmissions on conventional and trunk. Doug was comparing it with his 436 with matching antennas and external antennas. I was comparing with 536 and SDS both on external. I’ve been chatting with Doug for the last few days on what we were both seeing. He than suggested last night to add a 1 sec hold on each of the systems under each favorite, not the favorite hold. After doing that I was seeing great results. Almost like a new radio. Even some of the far off conventional stuff was coming through. Provoice still needs some work but I may try the beta again to see if that and 1 sec fixes that problem.

I’ll pass on your message to Doug. I hear you about block calls and contacts. I block new numbers almost daily. Probably up to 200 now, LOL
Dan

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Have the beta firmware loaded and helps just a bit at zero "hold." Saw your thread Wise about 1 sec "hold" based on your's and Doug's experience. Tried it last night on several trunking systems in area, then added mix of conventional channels, all with 1 sec "hold" on systems. Dramatic improvement in what the SDS100 picks up. Makes a huge difference. Thanks for your observations. I do like the radio.
Hello to Phil (Sofa King) out there. Think you once bought a TRX based on one of my videos here in Los Angeles. If you buy SDS100, just send the bill.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Wnjl
Anytime a new update comes out I remove the SD card from the scanner and install it in my computer. This way Sentinal puts it into the firmware folder on the card. I’ll make a copy before I insert it into the radio to update the firmware. This way I can always go back if I’m not happy the results.
Dan

That is a good idea!!
1Ba2J1r.jpg

I know what I'll be doing next time an official (i.e., non-beta) firmware update is released for my SDS100 or 436HP.

wise871

Database Admin

Installed the beta firmware and set the systems back to 0 sec. Not seeing an improvement unless I add 1 sec hold back again. SDS100 was missing too many transmissions. With beta firmware on my local Provoice system, I am still seeing missed calls with both 0 and 1 sec hold times while on external antenna.

Ubbe

Wnjl Anytime a new update comes out I remove the SD card from the scanner and install it in my computer.

You don't need to do that. The downloaded firmware will be in the firmware folder of the SD card as long as you do not remove the USB cable and restart the scanner.

After you have downloaded the upgrade, use windows explorer (you can use the window key+E) and go to the drive letter that corresponds to the scanners SD card and go to the firmware folder and copy the file to a backup location of your choise on your computers harddrive.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.